25 years old and still no career direction. In need of help.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am turning 25 next month and the realisation of the fact I've done nothing with my life yet is stressing me out. My CV literally cries out 'I do not know what I want to do with my life'.

I have a 2.1 degree in biomedical science. I was clueless back in school as to what career to persue, but picked sciencey A levels, and was told by a career advisor that I could go into a lot of fields with a science/ maths related degree.

I wouldn't say I enjoyed my degree, I just didn't hate it. I did however dislike lab work, so after graduating I thought I would give accounting a go (big mistake, I know). I chose accounting due to the job security and good wage, but after working in a small firm as an accounts assistant for 18 months, I realised I can not spend my life doing that. I was offered an ACA contract which I was due to start in the September, but instead left to go travelling.

I travelled South East Asia, then moved to Australia on a working holiday visa. It's been the best experience of my life but also partly moved here to buy some time to figure out what I want to do when I move home. However, my visa is nearly up and I'm in the same boat except even more behind all my friends who are now in well paid jobs, buying houses etc.

Since being in Australia I spent 4 months doing my farm work (hell needed for second year visa), 5 months as a sales rep for a drinks company, and recently finished a 4 month assignment as a customer outbound agent. These jobs were really to fund more travels and obviously my second year visa, but i just feel like I'm making my CV look worse.

I don't enjoy work, and I don't have a particular passion in anything work related. I just want a well paid job that I don't hate. Can anyone share some advice on anything I might be able to go into with my (indecisively) varied experience and degree? I just need some inspiration I suppose. All jobs I have worked in have actually really liked me as an employee, but I just haven't seen myself being happy doing it for the rest of my life.

Just feeling a bit lost and behind. I know I shouldn't compare to friends but it's hard when I'll be moving back in with my parents soon!!

Thanks in advance for any advice, much appreciated.
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Developer work is well paid and has a lot of demand such as web, software, web application development.

JavaScript is in high demand and also it frameworks such as react, node, angular. Also c#, php.

Develop a portfolio of 5 projects which could be video games, software, web applications and shoot for those enter-level, junior jobs.

Also learn skills in web technologies, databases such as sql, testing, test driven development, git, linux, aws etc which all depends on the language you choose.
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I just want a well paid job that I don't hate
The impossible dream for most people.

On a (slightly) more serious note, what are you A level or equivalent grades and what uni is your degree from?

Have you tried a careers test? Sometimes they throw up ideas: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/planner

By the way, most people's first jobs out of university suck ass. What you want to look for is what more senior people in the field are doing. Would you enjoy that? If so you can work your way towards that.
All THE ANSWERS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You have just spoken on behalf of the majority of the population haha. I can relate to doing nothing with your life whilst watching your mates around you excel in life! Theres no specific advice you can give to anyone about what life path to choose. All you gotta remember is everyones got a place somewhere and youll find yours. I left school with no care in the world about anything which i later regretted. I found myself working a 9-5 office job at 16 and boy was i miserable, my best advice is to research companies and businesses that you could see yourself working at, look for vacancies and try to get a job. Once youre in, work hard and climb the ladder of ranks just like myself, screw the university *****! Before you know it youll be making 100K a year and laughing just like me! work hard play hard
LouiseRu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Look around the careers sites of the Army, Navy and RAF.

They offer roles beyond pure soldier roles in such areas as HR, IT, Medical, Engineering, Scientific .

You are not expected to have relevant experience and are given extensive training.

This allows you a new career or chance to retrain.

You can contact their career advisors online and through their local career offices.

There are many roles here relevant to Civvy street.
okaynot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not sure where you are in the world now but one career for people who studied sciences is IP (intellectual property). Have you thought about applying for trainee patent attorney roles? 4 years training in a professional Intellectual Property firm... paid for by them! They get you through the formal examinations and eventually you qualify to work as a patent attorney. It's very niche. Such an interesting career. A lot of people never heard of this possibility as something to do with a science degree.... however demand these days for patent attorneys is enormous, so your science background makes you of great interest. You do not need a law degree at all. Take a look around... you'll be surprised. This year's intake of grads is happening now. Usually start in September.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Merchant Navy Officer - you need to be good at maths and science.

Its a 3 year Cadetship course which pays approx £180 per week at college and £130 at sea. You will spend 3 phases at college, 2 at sea.

Look at the Careersatsea.org website to see if its for you.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (154)
42.78%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
14.72%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (145)
40.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.22%

Watched Threads