The Student Room Group

How do career dreams really work out?

When young people were asked in 2011 about the careers they wanted, the most popular ambitions were for jobs such as doctors, vets, firefighters, police officers, nurses, teachers and actors.

They found a reality gap with what really happened to their lives six years later.

Less than 1/50 were in the career they wanted

Most working in sales and marketing

Most earning less than expected

Read the full article here

What did you dream of being when you 'grew up'? Has that changed? Have you been able to/or are working towards this dream?
Reply 1
Fireman when I was small, military when I was less small, set my mind to going into research/teaching when I was even less small and now I'm doing exactly that.
airline pilot, but cant pass medical but even if i could take action now to pursue it there would be numerous concerns am not convinced i would. i think back when i got interested i had a warped view of what it actually be like probably based on one of those virgin atlantic ads or catch me if you can
Original post by Spirithorse
When young people were asked in 2011 about the careers they wanted, the most popular ambitions were for jobs such as doctors, vets, firefighters, police officers, nurses, teachers and actors.

They found a reality gap with what really happened to their lives six years later.

Less than 1/50 were in the career they wanted

Most working in sales and marketing

Most earning less than expected

Read the full article here

What did you dream of being when you 'grew up'? Has that changed? Have you been able to/or are working towards this dream?

Inventor and "businessman".

Pretty much now going into finance (and maybe flirt with entrepreneurship at some point) so close enough tbh.

Yeah, have several interviews and ACs coming up, done some entrepreneurship already and prior internships. Fingers crossed an offer comes before December.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I wanted to be a mechanical engineer and thats what I'm going to study at uni. I also want to be a carefree billionaire, but I'll have to give that one a few more years before getting back to you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending