Why do women lie about their dating preferences? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Proof.

"Results showed that a man's looks influenced both groups of women more strongly than his personality profile. This held true even if a man's profile was filled with highly desirable personal qualities, such as being respectful, honest and trustworthy."

And...

"This is not true of men, she said. Men are more consciously aware — or more willing to admit — that good looks in a woman are more important to them than personality, Fugère said."

So can we finally put to rest the view that women care more about a guy's personality?
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yes, we can put it to rest

Take care
Randyyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I dont think girls really know what they want, they aren't able to quantify what they are attracted to.

Girls really do care more about personality once a guy meets a certain standard for attractiveness, shallow guys won't be any good for the long run.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Randyyy)
I dont think girls really know what they want, they aren't able to quantify what they are attracted to.

Girls really do care more about personality once a guy meets a certain standard for attractiveness, shallow guys won't be any good for the long run.
That is actually what the study showed. That as long as guys are moderately attractive, then personality comes into play. But if you're ugly, it doesn't matter whether you're Jesus or Pol Pot.
anniekeshler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Women prefer good looks than personality. Period.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Why anon?
Justvisited
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by anniekeshler)
Women prefer good looks than personality. Period.
Besides the question of whether women "lie" about what they really prefer (maybe they do, maybe they don't), a more pertinent question is: why then do women profess to be so upset if men say they prefer looks (and BTW different men prefer different looks in women)?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Why anon?
because women get emotional about this and i dont wanna get into personal fights.
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
because women get emotional about this and i dont wanna get into personal fights.
:rofl:
anniekeshler
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
Besides the question of whether women "lie" about what they really prefer (maybe they do, maybe they don't), a more pertinent question is: why then do women profess to be so upset if men say they prefer looks (and BTW different men prefer different looks in women)?
Men prefer looks in women, and they wouldn't lie about it. They'll answer it straight that they prefer looks more than anything that woman has to offer. It goes way back then with Helen of Troy, that shows beauty is everything.
YaliaV
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This thread makes you look bitter.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by YaliaV)
This thread makes you look bitter.
:rofl:
You were saying?
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You were saying?
Well as a wOmAn (hope you're not too triggered), I can tell you that I find your thread hilarious as yes I do find looks important at first and probably wouldn't go for someone I don't find attractive. But in the lon run personality is what is more important.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You were saying?
That's a stretch. You're the one getting emotional because you were turned down on a dating site. Maybe it's your personality that's repelling the ladies.
Anonymous #1
Well as a wOmAn (hope you're not too triggered), I can tell you that I find your thread hilarious as yes I do find looks important at first and probably wouldn't go for someone I don't find attractive. But in the lon run personality is what is more important.
(Original post by YaliaV)
That's a stretch. You're the one getting emotional because you were turned down on a dating site. Maybe it's your personality that's repelling the ladies.
This isn't about me. I simply cited study and one of you is being passive-agressive for no reason and the other is attacking me personally.

Thanks for proving me right tho.
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
This isn't about me. I simply cited study and one of you is being passive-agressive for no reason and the other is attacking me personally.

It's not my fault that you've chosen to feel like I'm being passive-agressive. I have no need to pander to someone who hides behind the anon function because they fear 'personal fights'. Don't involve yourself in topics which you know will lead to disagreements if you can't handle it. Good thing the people involved in the study have a bit more spine.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 8 months ago
it's because a personality profile doesn't tell you anything about a person. who doesn't say they are honest, intelligent, respectful, etc? nobody. but so far they're just words on paper; doesn't mean anything to a stranger. moreover, personality traits are subjective. you're not honest and intelligent until someone else thinks you are. i could say i'm really funny, but if you don't think so it doesn't really matter.

imo women say looks don't matter much because they know they've liked average looking dudes in the past - it's just that they got to know them first. these women in the study don't know these dudes, so of course their looks matter more. plus studies show that good looking people are more trusted than not good looking people. and, if you take care of yourself physically it sends the message that you're not lazy, that you value yourself, which is a huge turn on for anyone. so yeah, the way you look showcases your personality. these researchers should know this.
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

You're being disingenuous. You should take responsibility for your own failures instead of being bitter towards women. You didn't even have the courage to post this without going anon - that says a lot.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
That is actually what the study showed. That as long as guys are moderately attractive, then personality comes into play. But if you're ugly, it doesn't matter whether you're Jesus or Pol Pot.

I think people understimate in real life what moderately attractive actually means.

It's definately greater than attractive.

Having approached a lot of woman eventually I realised that if upon approaching her you are not getting the vibe in the next few seconds that this girl is strongly attracted to you ...then it's best to simply cut your losses and walk away, because the intereaction has a very slim chance of progressing to something more physical. despite what you say to her or how much she is laughing at your jokes/enjoying your company etc..
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I think people understimate in real life what moderately attractive actually means.

It's definately greater than attractive.

Having approached a lot of woman eventually I realised that if upon approaching her you are not getting the vibe in the next few seconds that this girl is strongly attracted to you ...then it's best to simply cut your losses and walk away, because the intereaction has a very slim chance of progressing to something more physical. despite what you say to her or how much she is laughing at your jokes/enjoying your company etc..
I don't even know what greater than attractive means and it doesn't really matter, does it? you've to be attractive if you want to get women. Shocking results that study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (280)
15.45%
The paper was reasonable (1010)
55.74%
Not feeling great about that exam... (387)
21.36%
It was TERRIBLE (135)
7.45%

Watched Threads