Missradioactive
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can tell how much it's affecting me and that I'm falling behind

But I'm not able to stop at all :cry2:

I've got so much to do but I still manage to procrastinate somehow :facepalm:

Has anybody got some good tips from personal experiences ?
Thanks in advance
Noodlestudent
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Try to set a pretend deadline, such as ‘This needs to be completed by an X date or I don’t buy the ice cream I like’. It really works for me, no reward if you don’t complete the work.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Missradioactive)

Thanks in advance
How do you procrastinate? Do you go on your phone or on the internet? A good way is to get rid of anything that might distract you. If you have somewhere else you can study instead of your room, you might be less tempted to procrastinate, e.g. library or alternative room. Switch your phone off, try not to use your laptop
RichPiana
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Name:  E56339F7-E65B-4F65-BAD0-EF84C3C50E02.jpeg
Views: 152
Size:  15.0 KB
Missradioactive
Rep:
?
(Original post by RichPiana)
Name:  E56339F7-E65B-4F65-BAD0-EF84C3C50E02.jpeg
Views: 152
Size:  15.0 KB
:jumphug:
RichPiana
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:jumphug:
:hugs:
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Oh dear.. I'm sorry work isn't going well :console:
imo, procrastination NEVER stops. You can put it temporarily on hold but you can stop it completely.
For digital forms of procrastination, e.g. Insta/sc/TSR/games/etc. I think the Forest app on your phone is pretty good, although you'll need to pay for it It also has an extension that you can put on your web browser, which I like as well. There's an app called Space, which tracks how much you use your phone and basically sends reminders if you've been on your phone for like a certain amount of time. As long as you keep clicking 'Send reminders' or something like that whenever it pops up, it'll just keep annoying you, which is great. (It also makes you slightly embarrassed about how much time you spend on your phone tho ) There's also SelfControl for laptops, which doesn't even stop when you've uninstalled it or shut down your laptop, which I personally think is a bit extreme, but it works :yes:
As for non-digital forms of procrastination, my only tip would be to keep distractions away from you when you want to work. Put your phone in another room, make sure you're sitting at an empty desk with only the things you need and don't get up from your seat when you've sat down to work. Might take a while to get used to this one but if you've said you're going to study for 30 minutes, make sure you're sat down for at least 30 minutes. Getting up off your seat will only distract you and make you want to procrastinate.
I hope this helps and best of luck with the procrastination.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had to deactivate my social media (including TSR!) during my A Levels, because I was awful for procrastinating. It might help to set study periods to half hour sessions, and then do something else for ten minutes, maybe grab a snack or go for a quick jog round the block to keep your mind fresh. Not everyone can focus for extended periods, and that's absolutely fine.
Missradioactive
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Oh dear.. I'm sorry work isn't going well :console:
imo, procrastination NEVER stops. You can put it temporarily on hold but you can stop it completely.
For digital forms of procrastination, e.g. Insta/sc/TSR/games/etc. I think the Forest app on your phone is pretty good, although you'll need to pay for it It also has an extension that you can put on your web browser, which I like as well. There's an app called Space, which tracks how much you use your phone and basically sends reminders if you've been on your phone for like a certain amount of time. As long as you keep clicking 'Send reminders' or something like that whenever it pops up, it'll just keep annoying you, which is great. (It also makes you slightly embarrassed about how much time you spend on your phone tho ) There's also SelfControl for laptops, which doesn't even stop when you've uninstalled it or shut down your laptop, which I personally think is a bit extreme, but it works :yes:
As for non-digital forms of procrastination, my only tip would be to keep distractions away from you when you want to work. Put your phone in another room, make sure you're sitting at an empty desk with only the things you need and don't get up from your seat when you've sat down to work. Might take a while to get used to this one but if you've said you're going to study for 30 minutes, make sure you're sat down for at least 30 minutes. Getting up off your seat will only distract you and make you want to procrastinate.
I hope this helps and best of luck with the procrastination.
Omg hi :hi: :hugs:

Yeah, work isn't going on too well-
I was supposed to update my GYG a few days back but I suffered food poisoning and was ill

And now that I'm well again, I'm procrastinating :bawling:

Thanks sis, you're really caring :heart:
Frigateer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For me the pomodoro technique has worked. You work for 25 minutes, then have a five minute break, and every four work sessions you get a longer break. I find it helps break down the task and make it less intimidating to start. Rather than having to read 30 pages or work for 3 hours, you tell yourself "right, I only have to work for 25 minutes. I can do 25 minutes. That's easy". Then, once you've started a task, it's easier to continue working
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Omg hi :hi: :hugs:

Yeah, work isn't going on too well-
I was supposed to update my GYG a few days back but I suffered food poisoning and was ill

And now that I'm well again, I'm procrastinating :bawling:

Thanks sis, you're really caring :heart:
:lovehug:
Oh dear.. hope you're feeling better :console: being ill is never nice.
Missradioactive
Rep:
?
(Original post by nyxnko_)
:lovehug:
Oh dear.. hope you're feeling better :console: being ill is never nice.
Yeah, I'm all well now :yes:
Kevin70
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Procrastination is a sign of depression.
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, I'm all well now :yes:
Good :woo:
username2889812
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Thanks in advance
:ta: for the thread sis!(atm almost in the same waters )
prsom
username3890778
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you know what makes procrastination worse? When you need the internet to study off from. So you have to use your biggest distraction like you can’t put your phone or laptop somewhere else away from you
username4219164
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OMG Love your display pic- Yixing Zhang <3 <3 <3

Anywaysss, the best way is to study in short bursts of around 30mins. Then take a good 5-10 min break where you do something to completely take your mind off from revision such as exercise or something. Then repeat the same process. Hope this helps!
UWS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't procrastinate on TSR.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cold showers... takes you mind off it.
a cool potato
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I just envision the end goal which for me is to become a millionaire
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads