Jayne15
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,I'm finding it hard getting my head around English language and structure!Can anyone in a
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jayne15)
Hello,I'm finding it hard getting my head around English language and structure!Can anyone in a
:lol:

Was that deliberate?
Kevin70
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
English language is basically all latin but its grammar is much easier, in fact, among all languages, English is easiest to learn and nowadays almost everyone speaks it.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kevin70)
English language is basically all latin but its grammar is much easier, in fact, among all languages, English is easiest to learn and nowadays almost everyone speaks it.
This is wrong in several places. English is basically Germanic, if anything, and certainly not 'all latin', though our history has obviously meant a large number of latin and latin-derived words being assimilated and naturalised.

English is a very easy language to learn to a very basic level. However, it's one of the most difficult languages to attain true proficiency in for non-native speakers because of, amongst other things, the lack of inflexion, importance of word order, frequent exceptions from 'rules' and pronunciations.
Jayne15
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Nope!
Kevin70
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Over 90% of English words have Latin root as England was Roman Empire’s colony for over 500 years. Basically, Roman empire deeply and irrevocably changed the English language and culture, of course, before Romans there was not much of a language and culture in England the reason the Romans regarded English as pagans and barbarians.
English language is the easiest language at lexical and syntactical level. Once you learn its basic grammar which does not amount to more than 100 pages and a few thousand words, fluency will be just round the corner. Here in UK, every nationality can be good English, in fact, there is nothing to be proud of if you can speak English, however, if one can speak Chinese, Japanese and even French and German, then they can really feel proud of themselves and show off and make everyone exclaim: ‘Oh my God, this guy can speak fluent Japanese!’
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads