Access to HE Watch

Shazam786
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm only 19 and the youngest on the course, I see this as a quick route to uni, do unis simply not like young access students as thats what I've seen on a few websites.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Shazam786)
I'm only 19 and the youngest on the course, I see this as a quick route to uni, do unis simply not like young access students as thats what I've seen on a few websites.
It's just not really designed for school-leavers or near school leavers. It's designed for those who've been out of education for a while. That doesn't mean you can't take the qualification, but it's geared more to a different audience.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Which websites? Websites like TSR, where gobshites who haven't even met an Access student, give a very eloquent account of why unis don't like Access students?

At 19, you'll be fine. Unless you have level 3s, in which case they might take into consideration your previous L3s and refuse to give you an offer in light of a weak performance which happened only a year prior. Many unis won't care.

They certainly don't care that you're only 19.
localnatives
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I did an access to HE course and got offers from universities, I was going to say that's bs really but looking back actually I had offers from quite good universities but then a few would say the access course wasn't suitable so I think it really depends on the university, let me know what unis you are interested in and I'll let you know if I applied to those and what my reply was if I can remember. But yeah just really put a lot of effort into your personal statement you have gone through a different path than those who go riding through education smoothly and use that to your advantage include bits of work & life experience that those people might actually be lacking.. try to stand out and mention in your application why you wanted to get back into education and why it is important to you and you should be fine.

P.s I was 19 when I did my access course
localnatives
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's just not really designed for school-leavers or near school leavers. It's designed for those who've been out of education for a while. That doesn't mean you can't take the qualification, but it's geared more to a different audience.
I honestly disagree there would be a minimum age limit if that was the case, my access course changed my life at 19 and I'm so glad I had that opportunity. I think it's for all the people that missed out on education or didn't make the most of their opportunity when they were younger whether they are 19 or 50.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by localnatives)
I honestly disagree there would be a minimum age limit if that was the case, my access course changed my life at 19 and I'm so glad I had that opportunity. I think it's for all the people that missed out on education or didn't make the most of their opportunity when they were younger whether they are 19 or 50.
Yes, I agree with you. That's exactly who it's for - and I suppose a 19-year-old fits that criteria perfectly well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?