The Student Room Group

Is it too late to start A-level maths and As physics right now? I'm self-studying

Hi everyone,

I've decided to take A-level maths (the full 2 years) and As Physics this year as well. I will be self-studying.

I've done some work in the past month such as indices, surds, and quadratics and for physics, I've done the structure of the atom (a little bit of atomic structure which is the very beginning).

I've had some issues to deal with this month and that's why I haven't started properly.

Also, I think if I start on Monday then it would be 3 weeks gone (the first week is an introductory week, so I've not counted that). That would mean 33 weeks until the first exam (as physics) and then a month later will be the A-level maths exams.

I would also like to mention that I have a good idea of most of the topics in A-level maths and quite a lot of calculus knowledge including product, quotient and chain rule and I know how to integrate.

I haven't done physics before.

So, is it too late or should I give it my all?
Too late in what context? Are you currently studying other subjects at a school or college? Are you a mature student? At university already?

Without more context it's hard to say, in terms of timescale if those are your only subjects I don't see why you couldn't complete them in the normal timeframe at all...it's only been a few weeks for most other students. It's just a matter of your organisation I suppose.
Original post by artful_lounger
Too late in what context? Are you currently studying other subjects at a school or college? Are you a mature student? At university already?

Without more context it's hard to say, in terms of timescale if those are your only subjects I don't see why you couldn't complete them in the normal timeframe at all...it's only been a few weeks for most other students. It's just a matter of your organisation I suppose.

I'm a mature student who's self-studying. I'm not at any kind of educational institute (so, no school college etc).

I'm only taking maths and physics (full A-level maths and As physics).

I'm looking to get at least an A in both subjects and that's why I was wondering if it's too late to start in order to get those A grades.

I've done most of the topics before, but I haven't actually got an A-level in maths or physics. It's something I've learned myself, but this was a little while ago, so I just need to brush over most of the topics. I also have SOME experience in mechanics, but that's limited to inclined planes and I'm quite solid at projectile motion. I love that topic.

So, is it too late to start now to get all A grades? I also won't be working this year due to health reasons so that's why I think this is a really good opportunity.
You'll be fine.
Original post by Galatic
I'm a mature student who's self-studying. I'm not at any kind of educational institute (so, no school college etc).

I'm only taking maths and physics (full A-level maths and As physics).

I'm looking to get at least an A in both subjects and that's why I was wondering if it's too late to start in order to get those A grades.

I've done most of the topics before, but I haven't actually got an A-level in maths or physics. It's something I've learned myself, but this was a little while ago, so I just need to brush over most of the topics. I also have SOME experience in mechanics, but that's limited to inclined planes and I'm quite solid at projectile motion. I love that topic.

So, is it too late to start now to get all A grades? I also won't be working this year due to health reasons so that's why I think this is a really good opportunity.

Are you studying them over one year or two? Either way I doubt it...university students on courses which teach the A-level Maths material in the first year for students who haven't taken it (usually consolidating two years of material into two terms) are broadly just starting now, and I doubt they'll be any worse off taking their respective exams.

You'll obviously need to organise yourself with studying and so on, and also the adminstrative aspects (where are you taking the exams? Have you confirmed they will take you as an external candidate? Are there any fees to pay, and when do you need to pay them by if so?), and balance that against any other responsibilities you have at the moment. There's no reason to believe you can't do well, but equally nothing to suggest you necessarily will - it's all down to you, so just crack on I suppose! :smile:
Original post by artful_lounger
Are you studying them over one year or two? Either way I doubt it...university students on courses which teach the A-level Maths material in the first year for students who haven't taken it (usually consolidating two years of material into two terms) are broadly just starting now, and I doubt they'll be any worse off taking their respective exams.

You'll obviously need to organise yourself with studying and so on, and also the adminstrative aspects (where are you taking the exams? Have you confirmed they will take you as an external candidate? Are there any fees to pay, and when do you need to pay them by if so?), and balance that against any other responsibilities you have at the moment. There's no reason to believe you can't do well, but equally nothing to suggest you necessarily will - it's all down to you, so just crack on I suppose! :smile:

I'm looking to take all these in 1 year and then A2 physics and further maths next year.

I've organised the exams and I've contacted universitys about my whole situation and what not.

I've also organised what and when I'm going to study, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My main concern was trying to get everything done in 33 (it I start on Monday) compared to 36 which would have been 3 weeks ago.

As I've said, it's not as if I've done nothing, it's just that I haven't done as much as I've intended.

I did ask this 2 days ago and someone said they have done everything that I've done so far (and they are studying in a school) so was a relief, but I thought it may be worth asking again.

Thank you for advice. I'll definitely crack on and use these lost 3 weeks to push myself.
Reply 6
You could start after christmas and still get A's
Original post by Svesh
You could start after christmas and still get A's

Seriously?

I've heard about one guy who finished them in 3 months and got 4A*, but these were different subject .

I've also heard of one guy who got an A* in maths that started on November, but he was supposed to be a beast.
Reply 8
Original post by Galatic
Seriously?

I've heard about one guy who finished them in 3 months and got 4A*, but these were different subject .

I've also heard of one guy who got an A* in maths that started on November, but he was supposed to be a beast.

I learnt the whole of a level maths in a month and practiced for a month and got an A. This was old Spec.
Physics might take longer because you have to understand some concepts so maybe around 3 months for that.
Original post by Svesh
I learnt the whole of a level maths in a month and practiced for a month and got an A. This was old Spec.
Physics might take longer because you have to understand some concepts so maybe around 3 months for that.

Wow, that's quite motivating. Also, I'm not too bothered about my physics grade . I will work for the A grade, but I know the full A level (the second year) is the proper qualification .

It will help with uni applications though .

Thank you again. I'll get to it.
yeah u definitely have enough time. 3 weeks really wouldnt make much of a difference at all, especially if u already know some of the content
Original post by tome123
yeah u definitely have enough time. 3 weeks really wouldnt make much of a difference at all, especially if u already know some of the content

I was sorting of thinking that because back at school, the a level students spend 2 weeks doing mocks and using the 2 weeks Christmas break revising for the mocks .

I guess in that case, I'm still ahead of schedule and, as you said, it's not like it's all new .I've also done some work in the past few weeks.

Thank you very much. This is motivating.
Original post by Galatic
I'm looking to take all these in 1 year and then A2 physics and further maths next year.

I've organised the exams and I've contacted universitys about my whole situation and what not.

I've also organised what and when I'm going to study, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My main concern was trying to get everything done in 33 (it I start on Monday) compared to 36 which would have been 3 weeks ago.

As I've said, it's not as if I've done nothing, it's just that I haven't done as much as I've intended.

I did ask this 2 days ago and someone said they have done everything that I've done so far (and they are studying in a school) so was a relief, but I thought it may be worth asking again.

Thank you for advice. I'll definitely crack on and use these lost 3 weeks to push myself.

Strangely I missed this notification...anyway as above the first couple weeks of A-levels for school students is normally a very gentle start, and may well involve a fair amount of revision of GCSE topics related to the subject while developing a bit of new content. You really aren't very far behind, if even at all comparatively! Also as above, the timeframe is kind of relative - you could do it in a few months, if you adjusted your "timetable" for yourself appropriately (it just would have the downside of less flexibility if you start struggling with a given topic, in trying to cover all the material still).

I think it's certainly possible to do, especially if you have a background in Maths to some extent...I had a friend who did Maths, FM, and AS Physics in a "year 14" after IB, because she didn't do Physics and did Maths HL but got a lower grade than she wanted (but was comfortable with the material, and this was largely because IB HL exams at least used to be pretty fiendish from what I've heard...). For comparison, you can cover more or less all the A-level material through the OU in a single year, and those courses don't start till October, for examination in...summer (June? May?). When it comes to independent learning, it's really as fast as you can go - making sure you have time to do practice problems, past papers and so on of course.

As I said before, I don't believe you have any reason to be worried about - just make sure to keep track of your progress and plan ahead in case one topic you need to spend a bit more time on (and know when you can't spend any more time on it and cut your losses, if necessary!).

Quick Reply

Latest