Illidan2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Question 15. I attempted to use simultaneous equations to do this as I couldn't see another way at the time. However, my answer is wrong. I am trying to figure out what went wrong here.

Is it impossible to use simultaneous equations here for some reason unbeknownst to me?
Did I make a mistake with the algebra?

I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong by doing this.

Photos of the textbook, and my attempt, are included below.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Illidan2)
Question 15. I attempted to use simultaneous equations to do this as I couldn't see another way at the time. However, my answer is wrong. I am trying to figure out what went wrong here.

Is it impossible to use simultaneous equations here for some reason unbeknownst to me?
Did I make a mistake with the algebra?

I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong by doing this.

Photos of the textbook, and my attempt, are included below.
Can't see the photos.
Illidan2
Rep:
?
My apologies. Here you go:

https://imgur.com/a/Qy1HH7A
Illidan2
Rep:
?
I am fairly confident that my method was probably an extremely unnecessarily arduous one, but it was the only one I could think of at the time and i'd hoped it would work nonetheless. Can simultaneous equations not be used in this way? My intention was to find a value for sin x and cos x that is consistent with both original equations, then plug this into the double-angle formulae cos^2(x)-sin^2(x). Unless my algebra manipulation is the problem, my method does not appear to be valid for a problem such as this.
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
cos(x) should be (m+n)/2.
sign wrong

You could just have done a difference of two squares
mn = cos^2 - sin^2
Illidan2
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
sign wrong
Ahh. I notice this now. Where I have it as cos x= (3m+n/2), I should have cos x=(m+n)/2, yeah. However, the solution to this problem is apparently "cos 2x=mn", meaning i'm still not anywhere close, especially as I have m^2 as part of my answer.
Illidan2
Rep:
?
sign wrong

You could just have done a difference of two squares
mn = cos^2 - sin^2
Yes, I could have done a difference of two squares, but I did not notice at the time that I could. I am more concerned whether or not the method I thought of using is even valid in the first place, though.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ahh. I notice this now. Where I have it as cos x= (3m+n/2), I should have cos x=(m+n)/2, yeah. However, the solution to this problem is apparently "cos 2x=mn", meaning i'm still not anywhere close, especially as I have m^2 as part of my answer.
The DOTS is the way to go as you can just write the answer down. However, your approach should work as well. You'd have
((m+n)/2)^2 - ((m-n)/2)^2
I think that gives mn?
Illidan2
Rep:
?
The DOTS is the way to go as you can just write the answer down. However, your approach should work as well. You'd have
((m+n)/2)^2 - ((m-n)/2)^2
I think that gives mn?
I may be mistaken but after expanding those brackets I was left with 3mn/2. It may be a mistake of my own doing , but in squaring the second pair of brackets I obtained a spare mn/2 which was not cancelled out.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I may be mistaken but after expanding those brackets I was left with 3mn/2. It may be a mistake of my own doing , but in squaring the second pair of brackets I obtained a spare mn/2 which was not cancelled out.
Either I could type out the expression or you could show what you've done. Can you do the latter pls?
Illidan2
Rep:
?
I can, and I would have already if my phone wasn't causing so many problems right now, sending a simple image takes some time. I'll let you know as soon as the imgur link has been updated
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can, and I would have already if my phone wasn't causing so many problems right now, sending a simple image takes some time. I'll let you know as soon as the imgur link has been updated
Ok, I'll wait :-). Make sure you get your negative signs right, that's what caused the problem in the first place.
Also, you could just type it in, the expression is relatively simple.
Illidan2
Rep:
?
The imgur link is updated with a new image containing the expression. I've probably make an incredibly obvious mistake, but I would certainly benefit from having it pointed out. Thanks
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The imgur link is updated with a new image containing the expression. I've probably make an incredibly obvious mistake, but I would certainly benefit from having it pointed out. Thanks
The first mn term should be mn/2 (when you expand ((m+n)/2)^2
Illidan2
Rep:
?
You're right. I have no idea why I wrote it that way. I see it now, though. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (18)
7.09%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.24%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.54%
It might lead to more bullying (91)
35.83%
There's nothing they could do (77)
30.31%

Watched Threads