The Student Room Group

Considering leaving University after one week...

Hi everyone, I'm going to apologise for the length of this post, but I've got a lot of thoughts on my mind and would love some advice from anyone who has been through this thought process, or actually undergone the process of leaving University. I'll begin with pre-University...

So last year, I was in Sixth Form and had to choose what I wanted to study at University and also where I was going to study, I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted to do, but I did Maths, Biology and Psychology at A-Level. Initially, I wanted to do Neuroscience, but didn't feel comfortable in my ability to get a high grade in Biology or Psychology, so I looked at the only A-Level I had left, which was Maths. I didn't want to study a degree in Maths then (this will be useful later on), so I decided on a Economics degree, which has mathematical components but also aspects of business. Once I sent off my application, I was happy and content I made a decision.

On results day, I managed to get the results I needed to do my course at the firm choice of University. This also made me feel relieved that I got into my University, which is fairly local to me (only 1h 15m commuting) as I didn't want to spend money on accomodation. I did consider deferred entry, as I wasn't sure if I would be able to cope with the pressures of University (after barely surviving A-Levels...) but I ultimately went.

On welcome week, I felt mixed emotions and did breakdown one of the days in the week. However, I made a few friends and felt excited to begin a new chapter in my life (especially after being low in mood through Sixth Form)...

However, this week was also mixed, I enjoy Monday's lectures, but the last two days I've been in University, and both days I've felt so far behind and feel like I won't fully enjoy my degree. I enjoy the travel and the University campus, but I am not a huge fan of physically being there anymore. Especially as on Thursday, I had a sudden realisation that I should do a Maths degree, after telling myself that I'd be a fool to do one.

Tl;dr... in short, should I;
a) drop out immediately and apply for a Maths degree next year,
b) drop out after first semester and have a 1/2 gap year and apply for a Maths degree next year or
c) stick out the first year and decide at the end if I like it or not, then if not, take a gap year and reapply the following year (this means my first year of this degree would be the final year of my initial degree)

I understand that a lot of people will be judgemental of my decision no matter what, but I feel I shouldn't force myself to do a degree I don't enjoy. Please post any thoughts and I'll take all advice given to me...

Scroll to see replies

its only a week fam, you too quick 2 judge
Reply 2
I'm sure you can switch courses within the first few weeks of university? If so try speaking with the course manager to see if you can switch instead of wasting a semester
commuting is soul destroying and easy to make you unhappy

wait until you have had a few mid term exams before deciding
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I'm going to apologise for the length of this post, but I've got a lot of thoughts on my mind and would love some advice from anyone who has been through this thought process, or actually undergone the process of leaving University. I'll begin with pre-University...

So last year, I was in Sixth Form and had to choose what I wanted to study at University and also where I was going to study, I didn't really have an idea of what I wanted to do, but I did Maths, Biology and Psychology at A-Level. Initially, I wanted to do Neuroscience, but didn't feel comfortable in my ability to get a high grade in Biology or Psychology, so I looked at the only A-Level I had left, which was Maths. I didn't want to study a degree in Maths then (this will be useful later on), so I decided on a Economics degree, which has mathematical components but also aspects of business. Once I sent off my application, I was happy and content I made a decision.

On results day, I managed to get the results I needed to do my course at the firm choice of University. This also made me feel relieved that I got into my University, which is fairly local to me (only 1h 15m commuting) as I didn't want to spend money on accomodation. I did consider deferred entry, as I wasn't sure if I would be able to cope with the pressures of University (after barely surviving A-Levels...) but I ultimately went.

On welcome week, I felt mixed emotions and did breakdown one of the days in the week. However, I made a few friends and felt excited to begin a new chapter in my life (especially after being low in mood through Sixth Form)...

However, this week was also mixed, I enjoy Monday's lectures, but the last two days I've been in University, and both days I've felt so far behind and feel like I won't fully enjoy my degree. I enjoy the travel and the University campus, but I am not a huge fan of physically being there anymore. Especially as on Thursday, I had a sudden realisation that I should do a Maths degree, after telling myself that I'd be a fool to do one.

Tl;dr... in short, should I;
a) drop out immediately and apply for a Maths degree next year,
b) drop out after first semester and have a 1/2 gap year and apply for a Maths degree next year or
c) stick out the first year and decide at the end if I like it or not, then if not, take a gap year and reapply the following year (this means my first year of this degree would be the final year of my initial degree)

I understand that a lot of people will be judgemental of my decision no matter what, but I feel I shouldn't force myself to do a degree I don't enjoy. Please post any thoughts and I'll take all advice given to me...

a) if you drop out now or within 2 weeks of enrolment, then you can avoid fee liability. Check the rules of your uni.

This will mean your funding is likely to be preserved if you return all your maintenance money as well.

b) That will give you more time, but also fees will be paid. Check the liability for fees clause . its normally 25% for first term. Will still count as a years finance entitlement.

c) You could do the first year but at the same time be applying for maths courses.

Its your life and your decisions. If the degree isnt for you then bail early. You may have another week to make your mind up but get everything ready. You can even try the first term but recognise your years funding is activated and you start paying for the course.

Also for a Maths course I assume your grades are high enough? have you checked?

You get funding for a degree length +1 gift year so use them well and get on a degree you like and can get a good grade in. If that means leaving now or after a year or taking a gap so be it.

What you need to avoid is being trapped on the wrong degree and then getting a poor grade.
Reply 5
Original post by Saz_23
I'm sure you can switch courses within the first few weeks of university? If so try speaking with the course manager to see if you can switch instead of wasting a semester

The problem I've got with switching courses is my University does not offer Maths at all, so if that's what I now want to do (which it is), I'd have to look elsewhere. I am planning on having a meeting with my personal tutor and the student support team next week to see if there's any alternative options but I'm feeling a bit limited in my options. I am open to any decisions offered by the University, but I feel like they may pressure me into staying on the course and not be willing to help me look at options outside the University?
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
a) if you drop out now or within 2 weeks of enrolment, then you can avoid fee liability. Check the rules of your uni.

This will mean your funding is likely to be preserved if you return all your maintenance money as well.

b) That will give you more time, but also fees will be paid. Check the liability for fees clause . its normally 25% for first term. Will still count as a years finance entitlement.

c) You could do the first year but at the same time be applying for maths courses.

Its your life and your decisions. If the degree isnt for you then bail early. You may have another week to make your mind up but get everything ready. You can even try the first term but recognise your years funding is activated and you start paying for the course.

Also for a Maths course I assume your grades are high enough? have you checked?

You get funding for a degree length +1 gift year so use them well and get on a degree you like and can get a good grade in. If that means leaving now or after a year or taking a gap so be it.

What you need to avoid is being trapped on the wrong degree and then getting a poor grade.

a) I'm aware of this, but I feel like I then haven't given it a fair run as it's only first year. My brother made this point about getting out early, but I feel it's unfair on everyone else around me who will suffer because of my choices. b) I am fine with paying an extra year's worth of tuitions, as it is highlt unlikely that I will ever pay it off, however my only concern with doing the year is the effect it may have on any future applications i.e. my Maths application. This is obviously something I will have to weigh up and research into ASAP. c) I was going to do this, but then thought about how much time and energy I'd be wasting looking at open days again when I've got a place at another University. It's silly I know, it's just I don't want to rush this choice, as it is a big decision, hence why I've asked for as many people's opinions so I can make an informed decision, which is what I want! In A-Level Maths, I got an A, so most Universities should be able to offer me a place, except ones that requires A* or further maths as a requirement. I've had a look at most Universities and I match the UCAS tariff points required. I didn't know about the gift year of funding, is this something that I will have to check I qualify for? My main concern was being trapped on the wrong degree, which I am aware of now that Econ may not be for me, but I am still willing to put in effort (incase I have a change of heart), however, I am currently in the mindset of doing the first year so far... Thanks for the advice, it was really helpful. I think I decided to prioritise money over my happiness, but now I've realised it should be the other way around. Thank you so much!
What sort of uni doesn't offer Maths?
Reply 8
Original post by emmataco
commuting is soul destroying and easy to make you unhappy

wait until you have had a few mid term exams before deciding

Thank you, it is weird that I enjoy the commute, I just hate that after a 5:00 finish, I don't get back till 7:00 and have no energy left to do work. I'm planning on doing the exams and coursework before making a decision, but I'm also getting all the information I need prepared in the event that I need it.
Reply 9
What sort of uni doesn't offer Maths?

I'm not sure. They used to offer it, but I've checked the website and it's not available. That's one of my main reasons I'm having a meeting so I can find out the reasons why they don't offer it anymore.
I'm not sure. They used to offer it, but I've checked the website and it's not available. That's one of my main reasons I'm having a meeting so I can find out the reasons why they don't offer it anymore.

Try and look at the maths modules of other universities as you may be surprised by the difference between a level math and uni math
Reply 11
I’m doing my post grad degree - NINE years after doing my under grad! I feel you! I’m absoultely scared and I feel like I’m behind. I have no idea what I’m doing, I haven’t even made friends. I’m wondering if I’ve made the right choice.
But... I’m going to stick with it. I will feel worse if I drop out. I’m here because this is what I wanted.
End of the day... do what you want. If you feel that this is the wrong course for you, then don’t waste your time. Apply again for next September. In the mean time get voluntary work experience. Go work in accountancy firms for a week or so, ask maths tutors in uni if you can shadow them for a day or so. Don’t just sit at home doing nothing for half a year. Use it to your advantage.
Dont panic. No one knows what they are doing. Sometimes we have to walk up the wrong path to realise what we want is the other way around. So we stop, turn around - don’t give up - but start again with a clear head.
You can do it!
Speak to your lecturers and tutors to get advice too :smile: Good luck, it will work out for you!
It is unlikely your personal tutor will pressurise you into staying. Most academic staff will want the best for you. They might suggest it is quite early to decide, but ultimately it is your decision. If your personal tutor doesn't seem to be able to offer that much advice, then you want to talk to the Programme Director for whatever course you are on - they are the person who actually runs it and will be very clued up (well, they should be!!!).

I'm a programme director on a large degree course at a UK university and I always have a few conversations with students in similar situations to you. Some stay with us and end up happy, others transfer out - I never try to talk them into staying against their wishes. There is no benefit to anyone in trying to keep an unhappy student doing a course. Besides we also get some students transfer in from other courses, so it tends to balance out. Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by emmataco
Try and look at the maths modules of other universities as you may be surprised by the difference between a level math and uni math

Okay, thank you very much. I'm going to start looking at courses this weekend, as far as I'm aware first year is a lot of content from the A-Level, hence why I am not currently a huge fan of Econ...
Original post by Sandy86
I’m doing my post grad degree - NINE years after doing my under grad! I feel you! I’m absoultely scared and I feel like I’m behind. I have no idea what I’m doing, I haven’t even made friends. I’m wondering if I’ve made the right choice.
But... I’m going to stick with it. I will feel worse if I drop out. I’m here because this is what I wanted.
End of the day... do what you want. If you feel that this is the wrong course for you, then don’t waste your time. Apply again for next September. In the mean time get voluntary work experience. Go work in accountancy firms for a week or so, ask maths tutors in uni if you can shadow them for a day or so. Don’t just sit at home doing nothing for half a year. Use it to your advantage.
Dont panic. No one knows what they are doing. Sometimes we have to walk up the wrong path to realise what we want is the other way around. So we stop, turn around - don’t give up - but start again with a clear head.
You can do it!
Speak to your lecturers and tutors to get advice too :smile: Good luck, it will work out for you!

Thank you so much, the line about doing what you want to do really resonated with me. I am planning on looking at volunteering either this year or next year. It's nice to hear that I'm not truly alone and I think I had to walk up the wrong path, to know what I truly want in life! I'm planning on speaking to my tutor this week, so seeing if she can offer me any advice. Thank you, I'll try and keep this thread updated as much as I can.
Okay, thank you very much. I'm going to start looking at courses this weekend, as far as I'm aware first year is a lot of content from the A-Level, hence why I am not currently a huge fan of Econ...

What uni are you at if you don't mind me asking? I find it mind-boggling that they don't offer a maths course
Original post by barquentine
It is unlikely your personal tutor will pressurise you into staying. Most academic staff will want the best for you. They might suggest it is quite early to decide, but ultimately it is your decision. If your personal tutor doesn't seem to be able to offer that much advice, then you want to talk to the Programme Director for whatever course you are on - they are the person who actually runs it and will be very clued up (well, they should be!!!).

I'm a programme director on a large degree course at a UK university and I always have a few conversations with students in similar situations to you. Some stay with us and end up happy, others transfer out - I never try to talk them into staying against their wishes. There is no benefit to anyone in trying to keep an unhappy student doing a course. Besides we also get some students transfer in from other courses, so it tends to balance out. Good luck!

Thank you so much, it's good to hear I'm not alone. I'll also try and speak to my programme director, once I've spoken to my tutor as I don't want to bottle up my feelings and then feel like I've failed them, because of my own actions. It's good to hear that you respect students wishes, I hope the staff at my University are the same...
a) I'm aware of this, but I feel like I then haven't given it a fair run as it's only first year. My brother made this point about getting out early, but I feel it's unfair on everyone else around me who will suffer because of my choices. b) I am fine with paying an extra year's worth of tuitions, as it is highlt unlikely that I will ever pay it off, however my only concern with doing the year is the effect it may have on any future applications i.e. my Maths application. This is obviously something I will have to weigh up and research into ASAP. c) I was going to do this, but then thought about how much time and energy I'd be wasting looking at open days again when I've got a place at another University. It's silly I know, it's just I don't want to rush this choice, as it is a big decision, hence why I've asked for as many people's opinions so I can make an informed decision, which is what I want! In A-Level Maths, I got an A, so most Universities should be able to offer me a place, except ones that requires A* or further maths as a requirement. I've had a look at most Universities and I match the UCAS tariff points required. I didn't know about the gift year of funding, is this something that I will have to check I qualify for? My main concern was being trapped on the wrong degree, which I am aware of now that Econ may not be for me, but I am still willing to put in effort (incase I have a change of heart), however, I am currently in the mindset of doing the first year so far... Thanks for the advice, it was really helpful. I think I decided to prioritise money over my happiness, but now I've realised it should be the other way around. Thank you so much!

As you are deciding to stay the year, then you need to realise a few things.

1. Its helpful if you academic results are decent as if you are tranfsferring then it looks less like you are a weak student running away, but a strong one that has decided on a change in direction.

2. The crunch time is deciding to proceed into year 2. Its at that stage the option for full funding on a different degree becomes lost, so you are committed. I suggest you make your transfer applications through UCAS anyway to keep your options open and you can decide at the end of the year whether or not to change.
Original post by 999tigger
As you are deciding to stay the year, then you need to realise a few things.

1. Its helpful if you academic results are decent as if you are tranfsferring then it looks less like you are a weak student running away, but a strong one that has decided on a change in direction.

2. The crunch time is deciding to proceed into year 2. Its at that stage the option for full funding on a different degree becomes lost, so you are committed. I suggest you make your transfer applications through UCAS anyway to keep your options open and you can decide at the end of the year whether or not to change.

Thanks for the advice, however I've now made my mind up about what I want to do. I am deciding to discontinue my course, and reapply in the next cycle or two. I feel it will be very stressful and I don't want to incur the debt that holds me doing a year of a degree that I now know I'm not passionate about.
Thanks for the advice, however I've now made my mind up about what I want to do. I am deciding to discontinue my course, and reapply in the next cycle or two. I feel it will be very stressful and I don't want to incur the debt that holds me doing a year of a degree that I now know I'm not passionate about.

Thats what I would have done, just giving you the advice based on what your previous decision was.

Latest

Trending

Trending