Why does Blood phobia cause fainting, but other phobias don’t? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Some people with blood phobia tend to faint at seeing blood, but this doesn’t generally happen with other phobias such as Clausterphobia, Agoraphobia, Aracnophobia etc.

I know phobias cause severe anxiety up to a panic attack but generally with panic attacks adrenaline (flight and fight response) increases heart rate and blood pressure (an ancient mechanism so the person can run or fight) the opposite to the conditions that cause fainting.

So in that case does blood phobia cause a fall in blood pressure resulting in fainting and if so why does this form of panic cause blood pressure to fall? Is adrenaline not involved with blood phobia as it is with other phobias?
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A blood phobia isn't any more likely to cause fainting than any other phobia of the same intensity.
TracyRed
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I Fainted coz i was in a crowd (i have a fear of crowds) and my friend fainted when she saw a spider! All fears can make you faint, its just people react differently 😊
faiima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
who told you others can't cause the same effect? I guess it depends on how bad your phobia is rather than what kind of phobia you have...
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 year ago
i don't know how reputable this website is, but apparently it's because you're afraid of losing blood and you'll lose less blood if your blood pressure drops (hence you faint).

this is unlike Clausterphobia where your heart races because you just want to get the f-ck out of there.
Geek5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you just watch Corronation Street? Because a guy passed out because of blood at the end of the episode half an hour ago 😂😂
rasputshealthbar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Throw a tarantula at me and I'll prove you wrong
Elektra06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I second what krissxkross said haha

Any phobias can chase fainting trust me.

I faint a lot with mine and it can be an array of things, crowds, spiders(if they're on me) confrontation(yes I did seriously faint once oops) but usually it's just if a panic attack is bad.

I imagine people faint with a blood or needle phobia because just like any other phobia it's overwhelming, especially if it's your blood that's getting taken
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed