Transfer universities after first year

Watch
hhassan131
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I’ve just started my first year at this university and I really like the uni and the people but the problem is that since the uni is in my city i still live at home and I really dont get along with my parents. So my dad is a ****ing psychopath and both my mum and dad are controlling and don’t let me be independant and i cant live in this house for 3 ****ing years. So my plan is to transfer to unis in other cities next year so i can move away but idk if the unis would let me although I wouldn’t mind starting over again as a first yearer. Also there are few problems eg will student finance help me out financially??? I come from a low income household (less than 25k i think) and when do i start the transfer process and who can i speak to (at uni and elsewhere).
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hhassan131)
Hi I’ve just started my first year at this university and I really like the uni and the people but the problem is that since the uni is in my city i still live at home and I really dont get along with my parents. So my dad is a ****ing psychopath and both my mum and dad are controlling and don’t let me be independant and i cant live in this house for 3 ****ing years. So my plan is to transfer to unis in other cities next year so i can move away but idk if the unis would let me although I wouldn’t mind starting over again as a first yearer. Also there are few problems eg will student finance help me out financially??? I come from a low income household (less than 25k i think) and when do i start the transfer process and who can i speak to (at uni and elsewhere).
Why not stay at the same university/city but just move out into student accommodation? There’s probably people right now looking for someone to take a room in their shared house/flat and it’s fairly straight forward to change your student loan from “living with parents” to “living away”.
hhassan131
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by PQ)
Why not stay at the same university/city but just move out into student accommodation? There’s probably people right now looking for someone to take a room in their shared house/flat and it’s fairly straight forward to change your student loan from “living with parents” to “living away”.
Yeah but the problem is id still live in the same city as my parents and id probably see them in the city centre and other places and I’m just not ready for that
starhanie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm in a similar situation.

My A-Level grades were awkward so I took an unconditional offer at an admittedly **** university and now that I've got here, found out that the course is not what it was advertised to be at all - I chose to take Film Studies, and yet half of my coursework is practical media based activities such as product advertisements etc. which do not appeal to me. On top of that, the difficulty of the written work is that of GCSE Film Studies - which I took and passed at an A* three years ago.

I'm confused as to how and when to start applying to other universities and whether my current university will give me a predicted overall grade for the first year that I can use to apply since my awkard A-Level grades - ACD - won't get me very far.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Start applying now then, transferring isn't hard if you have what the universities ask for.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hhassan131)
What PQ said would have been my first instinct. You seem to have ruled that out and are now saying your overriding factor is you need to get away from home and the city where you are?

Two options.

1. Transfer to another uni into second year, but relies on you doing satisfactory or well on your current course. Apply through UCAS as normal, but just as a transfer.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...rimary_content

2. Just restart from year 1 and apply through UCAS as you have done here.

You get one gift year, so you can use it to change your mind if you want to start fresh.

If you have only just started, then you might be able to withdraw from your course and avoid fee liability plus return your maintenance loan. You can then take a gap.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (443)
56.36%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed