The Student Room Group

I dont know what to choose!

So I am in first year a level and i take maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. But here is the problem, I dont know what i want to do in University. the 2 i am deciding from are Chemistry in uni or medicine. i enjoy chemistry more but i dont know how easy it is to find a job. if i choose medicine and have the chance to take it in uni, it will be easier to find a job and my parents want me to study it also. but i dont enjoy medicine as much as i do Chemistry. btw, it may seem like it is too early to decide, but it is not as early as some of you may think. so can anyone help me decide? :/ :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
So I am in first year a level and i take maths, biology, chemistry and psychology. But here is the problem, I dont know what i want to do in University. the 2 i am deciding from are Chemistry in uni or medicine. i enjoy chemistry more but i dont know how easy it is to find a job. if i choose medicine and have the chance to take it in uni, it will be easier to find a job and my parents want me to study it also. but i dont enjoy medicine as much as i do Chemistry. btw, it may seem like it is too early to decide, but it is not as early as some of you may think. so can anyone help me decide? :/ :smile:

Select the degree that you are more interested in and will enjoy. Medicine is a good degree, but you shouldn't pick it based on your parents' say-so or its reputation. It does lead to a specific career path, but you really have to enjoy it: degrees are typically longer and once working, you will find it takes up a lot of your time and can be quite stressful. If you don't like it, chances are you won't last very long following this path. Chemistry is a worthy degree in itself; it is possible to find work after graduation if you plan well and get some work experience or placement done.
Reply 2
Have you considered becoming a pharmacist? You need and have the strong background in chemistry for it. The pay is good. With medicine, you'll be studying a lot more especially disease and illness. On the pharmacy path, you will still get to help people but without having to study about the human body and all that stuff. If you are ok with needles, blood, working more with people directly, go with medicine. If you want limited interaction with people and want to use your chemistry knowledge more, pharmacy may be better.
Reply 3
Original post by cheesecakelove
Select the degree that you are more interested in and will enjoy. Medicine is a good degree, but you shouldn't pick it based on your parents' say-so or its reputation. It does lead to a specific career path, but you really have to enjoy it: degrees are typically longer and once working, you will find it takes up a lot of your time and can be quite stressful. If you don't like it, chances are you won't last very long following this path. Chemistry is a worthy degree in itself; it is possible to find work after graduation if you plan well and get some work experience or placement done.

thank you, this really helped :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by apple32
Have you considered becoming a pharmacist? You need and have the strong background in chemistry for it. The pay is good. With medicine, you'll be studying a lot more especially disease and illness. On the pharmacy path, you will still get to help people but without having to study about the human body and all that stuff. If you are ok with needles, blood, working more with people directly, go with medicine. If you want limited interaction with people and want to use your chemistry knowledge more, pharmacy may be better.

That is a good point, thanks i will really consider doing this! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending