The Student Room Group

I'm not able to do a law degree at uni but I want to be a lawyer

So I'm now in year 13- too late to change my subjects- but I want to be a lawyer, something that I've wanted for years but I was too scared to pick English for my A-levels just because I only got a B in my GCSEs (a stupid reason looking back at it). I have looked into it and found that you can do a degree at uni then take a one-year GDL conversion course so that you're on the same level as those whom did a proper law degree (or so the internet says).

MY OVERALL QUESTION IS:
If I do a GDL conversion course to put me on the same level as students that do a law degree, where do I go next? My chosen career path would lead me to dealing with corporate issues, working for a firm, but I'm not sure what I would actually have to do to get me here. Obviously I'm aware that there's a lot of work so don't be afraid to tell me that there is a load of work ahead of me.
Original post by Marmeat
So I'm now in year 13- too late to change my subjects- but I want to be a lawyer, something that I've wanted for years but I was too scared to pick English for my A-levels just because I only got a B in my GCSEs (a stupid reason looking back at it). I have looked into it and found that you can do a degree at uni then take a one-year GDL conversion course so that you're on the same level as those whom did a proper law degree (or so the internet says).

MY OVERALL QUESTION IS:
If I do a GDL conversion course to put me on the same level as students that do a law degree, where do I go next? My chosen career path would lead me to dealing with corporate issues, working for a firm, but I'm not sure what I would actually have to do to get me here. Obviously I'm aware that there's a lot of work so don't be afraid to tell me that there is a load of work ahead of me.

This isn't my area, but I'll ask anyway. Who requires English 'A' level for Law? Oxford doesn't.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RogerOxon
This isn't my area, but I'll ask anyway. Who requires English 'A' level for Law? Oxford doesn't.

My teachers just told me that they all do. It also made sense to me that law requires a great understanding of the English language. I'll look into this pretty quickly. Thanks.
Edit: WAIT! I've just realised the issue, I'm very tired right now. My issue is that I'm doing criminology, a WJEC diploma, not an A-level. Even though I'm doing Geography and Maths as well, I am pretty certain that a great school like Oxford wouldn't accept me for a law degree with a non A-level and I also feel like I'd struggle to get onto a law course at all without 3 A-levels.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Marmeat
My teachers just told me that they all do. It also made sense to me that law requires a great understanding of the English language. I'll look into this pretty quickly. Thanks.
Edit: WAIT! I've just realised the issue, I'm very tired right now. My issue is that I'm doing criminology, a WJEC diploma, not an A-level. Even though I'm doing Geography and Maths as well, I am pretty certain that a great school like Oxford wouldn't accept me for a law degree with a non A-level and I also feel like I'd struggle to get onto a law course at all without 3 A-levels.

I've not looked at others, but:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/admission-requirements-table
Reply 4
Original post by Marmeat

MY OVERALL QUESTION IS:

I think that you are able to go the law path, and that any background in corporate issues you will have, will lead to a potential advantage should you be interested in Corporate law. In the interim, you have plenty of time, do not restrict your exploration of the law-which has literally dozens of areas and sub-specialty areas, to some narrow area, instead be upon to explore, because whatever life experience you bring to the law, will be an advantage. I majored in accounting, so my background in business, in auditing investigations, was very useful to me when I went to law school.
Reply 5
Original post by luq_ali
I think that you are able to go the law path, and that any background in corporate issues you will have, will lead to a potential advantage should you be interested in Corporate law. In the interim, you have plenty of time, do not restrict your exploration of the law-which has literally dozens of areas and sub-specialty areas, to some narrow area, instead be upon to explore, because whatever life experience you bring to the law, will be an advantage. I majored in accounting, so my background in business, in auditing investigations, was very useful to me when I went to law school.

First of all, are you in the UK? Second of all, can you go to law school in the UK without a law degree or do you need to do a conversion course if you have done a degree other than law?
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
You will be able to do law without a law degree. The GDL won’t even exist by the time you graduate, so would allow you to become a lawyer without having a conversion course.

Your teachers are woefully informed.

Hang on, what do you mean it won't exist? Also, say I do a degree and the GDL doesn't exist, where do I go from there? Is this where I choose between being a solicitor or a barrister?
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
The GDL won’t exist for the solicitor route from 2020 onwards. You just do a set of exams.

You will need to do the GDL for the Barrister route though

Ahhh okay. Do barristers actually do any kind of research or do they exclusively go into court with a load of information and try to win an argument?
Reply 8
Okay, thanks a lot. This makes a lot more sense.
being a solicitor is vocation which is generally taught on the job in conjuction with professional examinations so look into apprenticeships and other routes into the industry
Original post by yung parliament
being a solicitor is vocation which is generally taught on the job in conjuction with professional examinations so look into apprenticeships and other routes into the industry

Most easily accessed by taking a degree, even if you take the CILEx route.
Original post by Marmeat

MY OVERALL QUESTION IS:

Various people have givn you random factoids that are accurate but don't give the whole story about becoming a lawyer.

The starting point is that your teachers are clearly clueless about the requirements for a law degree. You need accurate up to date advice. Go and buy Letters to a Law Student (it is more up to date than the other introductory books).
What are you studying at the moment? Law courses typically don't require particular subjects, although one essay based subject is sometimes favoured. So you can probably apply for law if you want. Check here for best advice:
https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/degrees/law
LOL oh yeah. Why do these threads pop up on the side? Still, the advice is good for anyone else reading.
Original post by chazwomaq
LOL oh yeah. Why do these threads pop up on the side? Still, the advice is good for anyone else reading.

Don't know why these old threads keep popping up, but your advice was good - unlike the advice OP got from their school :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending