The Student Room Group

I m dyspraxic and dyslexic AMA

So next week it's dyslexia awareness week and the week after its dyspraxia awareness week, so it's time for my annual AMA :biggrin: So any questions about either condition ?
Have you ever been bullied for these conditions? If not, yay!
Original post by TheYearNiner
Have you ever been bullied for these conditions? If not, yay!

Kids in primary school teased me a bit and tried to trip me up a lot but apart from a horrendous English teacher telling me I wouldn't pass my GCSE that's been it, I know it could have been much worse.
Reply 3
Hi! :smile: How does dyspraxia affect your day to day life? Are there any regular jobs/activities that it makes especially difficult that other people may not realise? And is there anything in particular about either condition that you wish more people understood?
At school we were mainly only told about dyslexia and nothing mentioned at all about dyspraxia so it's really good to be able to learn more about it!

How do these conditions affect your job?
Original post by jeoja
Hi! :smile: How does dyspraxia affect your day to day life? Are there any regular jobs/activities that it makes especially difficult that other people may not realise? And is there anything in particular about either condition that you wish more people understood?

It's difficult to put it shortly, basically I m very clumsy , I confuse my left and rights in my brain (so although I use my left hand to write I use my right hand to do other things randomly) and I struggle with some sensory things like I have no noise filter so hear anything in a room and I also grip things too losely or tightly so break things if I m not careful . Since I have dyslexia as well it's difficult to seperate what symptom is from what, so I also have reading difficulties , short term memory difficulties and planning problems (so that affects my punctuation and grammar amongst other things).
As for activities; I rely on GPS to find new places, I couldn't at all follow a list of directions, tying my shoe laces is very tricky, I can't wear heels, wear make up easily, do anything more than a ponytail with my hair.
I wish people understood that dyslexia isn't just reading things backwards or that dyspraxia isn't just being a clumsy person, it's so much more than that, oh and that it doesn't effect IQ/ intelligence.
Original post by DrawTheLine
At school we were mainly only told about dyslexia and nothing mentioned at all about dyspraxia so it's really good to be able to learn more about it!

How do these conditions affect your job?

Job wise it's mainly struggling to remember everything and I don't write the tidiest of notes but I ve eventually learnt to touch type so I m not any slower at that. Also I constantly have bruises from walking into desks or shelves at work. I think it's more trying to be kind of myself because I can get more tired more easily with physical things and letting myself rest rather than filling myself with even more coffee (I m not always great at doing this).
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
It's difficult to put it shortly, basically I m very clumsy , I confuse my left and rights in my brain (so although I use my left hand to write I use my right hand to do other things randomly) and I struggle with some sensory things like I have no noise filter so hear anything in a room and I also grip things too losely or tightly so break things if I m not careful . Since I have dyslexia as well it's difficult to seperate what symptom is from what, so I also have reading difficulties , short term memory difficulties and planning problems (so that affects my punctuation and grammar amongst other things).
As for activities; I rely on GPS to find new places, I couldn't at all follow a list of directions, tying my shoe laces is very tricky, I can't wear heels, wear make up easily, do anything more than a ponytail with my hair.
I wish people understood that dyslexia isn't just reading things backwards or that dyspraxia isn't just being a clumsy person, it's so much more than that, oh and that it doesn't effect IQ/ intelligence.

That's really interesting and useful to know - thank you for responding in so much detail! Have a good day! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by claireestelle
So next week it's dyslexia awareness week and the week after its dyspraxia awareness week, so it's time for my annual AMA :biggrin: So any questions about either condition ?
I was wondering what we were supposed to be aware of this week.

Why should we be aware of conditions like dyslexia or dyspraxia? Speaking as someone who has both conditions, I can't see why we should be getting other people to be aware of them. What goal is there to it - get everyone to start using Comic Sans in all their documents (or just use dictaphones and stop writing altogether), or something?
When/How did you first realise you had dyslexia?
Original post by Tootles
I was wondering what we were supposed to be aware of this week.

Why should we be aware of conditions like dyslexia or dyspraxia? Speaking as someone who has both conditions, I can't see why we should be getting other people to be aware of them. What goal is there to it - get everyone to start using Comic Sans in all their documents (or just use dictaphones and stop writing altogether), or something?

i think generally there should be more awareness in earlier education, earlier diagnosis might do less damage to children's self esteem/mental health before permanent damage is done. Took me a while to have any self belief after teachers just wrote me off for years. But yes everything in comic sans would be brilliant.
Original post by RichPiana
When/How did you first realise you had dyslexia?

I had no clue I could have dyslexia as well until i had to have a reassessment for my dyspraxia by an educational psychologist when i was 18, It was a big surprise because I thought my reading and memory were normal.
What is your favourite anagram of the word dyslexia?:holmes:

the choices

Are there any advantages to having either condition?

On a side note, lock laces are a wonderful invention.
Original post by 04MR17
What is your favourite anagram of the word dyslexia?:holmes:

the choices

I d say the second one but not an anagram fan really. Up

Original post by Tiger Rag
Are there any advantages to having either condition?

On a side note, lock laces are a wonderful invention.

I suppose I m good at out of the box thinking.
hello dear having-specifc-learning-disorder TSR user

I have a specific learning disorder too

So I will ask you this question:

Do you know which specific learning disorder I have?

Quick Reply

Latest