modulus question help - a level maths

Watch
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, in regards to question 10.) ii.) on the following paper, I'm confused as to how to work it out. what I usually do is find the equation of the line in the reflection of the line in which the line if "reflected" (if you know what I mean) and then solve it as simultaneous equations. However, when the equation of the graph is in the form that it is, how do you find the equation of the second "part of the line" (would the equation of part of the line with positive gradient be y=x+1? Basically I'm just confused on how to solve it. https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...dulus%20QP.pdf
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Hi, in regards to question 10.) ii.) on the following paper, I'm confused as to how to work it out. what I usually do is find the equation of the line in the reflection of the line in which the line if "reflected" (if you know what I mean) and then solve it as simultaneous equations. However, when the equation of the graph is in the form that it is, how do you find the equation of the second "part of the line" (would the equation of part of the line with positive gradient be y=x+1? Basically I'm just confused on how to solve it. https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...dulus%20QP.pdf
I'm sure you know that a modulus function like y=|x| can actually be split into two functions for two joining regions like so: \displaystyle \begin{cases} x, & x \geq 0 \\ -x, & x <0.

You can do the same with y = |x-2|+1, this just means \displaystyle \begin{cases} (x-2)+1, & x \geq 2 \\ -(x-2)+1, & x <2

So then, what are the parts of both modulus curves that intersect?? It would be the one with the +ve gradient from y=|x| and the one from -ve gradient from y=|x-2| +1.

Can you see what your simultaneous equations are?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (97)
39.43%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.98%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.32%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.17%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.2%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads