The Student Room Group

Cambridge law reading list?

I’ve almost finished my application for Cambridge and I have read books and articles on law which I’ve mentioned in my personal statement. However, none of them are part of the suggested reading e.g. I’ve read the rule of law and the relationship between law and politics. Will this harm me in comparison to others who have read letters to a law student or the law machine?
Original post by wantingp
I’ve almost finished my application for Cambridge and I have read books and articles on law which I’ve mentioned in my personal statement. However, none of them are part of the suggested reading e.g. I’ve read the rule of law and the relationship between law and politics. Will this harm me in comparison to others who have read letters to a law student or the law machine?

It's usually wise to complete 'suggested reading' - you might be asked 'have you read such-and-such' in your interview and it's not great to have to say 'umm, no'. It's hardly going to stymie an application, though.

Have you thought about asking this in the Cambridge Admission's thread whilst it's still active?
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
It's usually wise to complete 'suggested reading' - you might be asked 'have you read such-and-such' in your interview and it's not great to have to say 'umm, no'. It's hardly going to stymie an application, though.

Have you thought about asking this in the Cambridge Admission's thread whilst it's still active?

I have just bought the law machine as it’s a quick read and on the list!
I have just bought the law machine as it’s a quick read and on the list!

A wise move :smile:
Reply 4

Where exactly did you see this list? It may be introductory reading for offer holders / freshers, as opposed to potential applicants...

But here's King's suggested list for *applicants*
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/files/undergraduate/law-reading-for-prospective-students.pdf

(The Law Machine isn't on it.. )
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Where exactly did you see this list? It may be introductory reading for offer holders / freshers, as opposed to potential applicants...

But here's King's suggested list for *applicants*
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/files/undergraduate/law-reading-for-prospective-students.pdf

(The Law Machine isn't on it.. )

A suggested reading list was on the back page of a “law at Cambridge” leaflet at the open day & the law machine is on it :smile: I tried finding the leaflet online but it seems like i only have it in physical form
Reply 6
A suggested reading list was on the back page of a “law at Cambridge” leaflet at the open day & the law machine is on it :smile: I tried finding the leaflet online but it seems like i only have it in physical form

Then it's probably helpful to follow their suggestions :smile:

And personally I find the BA Law website to be a triumph of trendy web design over useful and easy to find content. It's terrible...

Quick Reply

Latest