The Student Room Group

Changing from medicine to dentistry

Hi,
Due to personal reasons, I’ve decided that dentistry is probably a better option than medicine and I’m wondering how I should sort myself out in order to apply for this year? I’m in year 13 btw
Okay so same as medicine you will need work experience. Unless you already have a load of dentistry work experience then best to take a gap year and apply next October as you only have a couple of weeks now until the deadline and will have to rush your PS and work experience and that will be easy for them to spot also work exp in dentistry is hard to get (I’m assuming med is also the same for this)
I’ve done the UKCAT , unfortunately I only got 625 but I’m also doing the BMAT (Leeds).
I’ve done a brief 5 day placement at the start of year 12 at a dentist but I’m willing to find more in the next two weeks. I have also got lots of hiospital work experience sorted out too
Original post by honeybooooo
I’ve done the UKCAT , unfortunately I only got 625 but I’m also doing the BMAT (Leeds).
I’ve done a brief 5 day placement at the start of year 12 at a dentist but I’m willing to find more in the next two weeks. I have also got lots of hiospital work experience sorted out too

Sorry my reply is above this one
Original post by Jenniferann232
Okay so same as medicine you will need work experience. Unless you already have a load of dentistry work experience then best to take a gap year and apply next October as you only have a couple of weeks now until the deadline and will have to rush your PS and work experience and that will be easy for them to spot also work exp in dentistry is hard to get (I’m assuming med is also the same for this)

I understand... a gap year looks likely however I have got a 5 day placement already and I literally have everything apart from the tweaking of my personal statement and adding more work experience... what do you think?
Original post by honeybooooo
I understand... a gap year looks likely however I have got a 5 day placement already and I literally have everything apart from the tweaking of my personal statement and adding more work experience... what do you think?

This things aren’t worth rushing, most require a minimum of 2 weeks completed before ucas is submitted. I had 9 work experience placements including hospital and a dental lab, private and nhs, orthodontists etc and I got 3 interviews, 1 offer.
More experience required before applying
Guys I ended up applying and getting 15 days of work experience before the deadline! I definitely made the right decision to be honest so thank god for that

Quick Reply

Latest