At what body fat percentage can you see your abs (for males)? Watch

snowman77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have searched online but I'm getting mixed answers. Some places say you can see them at 14-15%, other places say 10-12%, other places say 6-9%.

I got a pair of body fat calipers off Amazon (they were well reviewed and a top seller), measured my body fat as the manual instructed, and it came to 13-14% body fat. However, I can't see my abs, although my stomach is more or less flat. I'm not massively bothered about seeing my abs, but I'm just wondering at what body fat percentage you can see them?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by snowman77)
I have searched online but I'm getting mixed answers. Some places say you can see them at 14-15%, other places say 10-12%, other places say 6-9%.

I got a pair of body fat calipers off Amazon (they were well reviewed and a top seller), measured my body fat as the manual instructed, and it came to 13-14% body fat. However, I can't see my abs, although my stomach is more or less flat. I'm not massively bothered about seeing my abs, but I'm just wondering at what body fat percentage you can see them?
1. You can't use calipers on yourself properly, and they take a bit of practice to use accurately. Also, unless you spent about £200 on them, they're probably cheap Chinese crap and best binned.

2. 10-12% would be a good ballpark. 15% is usually too fat and 6% is approaching essential fat levels (i.e. unachievable for most).
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you see them if you tense?

When I lost 6kg you could see them faintly in normal state, but properly when tensed. Don't be fooled by ig photos and the like, they all tense in them.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter at what body fat % - just keep losing fat til yours show.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
sub 15, depends a bit on genetics
Cman8172
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think it’s 12-14%? Probably 13%
snowman77
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
1. You can't use calipers on yourself properly, and they take a bit of practice to use accurately. Also, unless you spent about £200 on them, they're probably cheap Chinese crap and best binned.

2. 10-12% would be a good ballpark. 15% is usually too fat and 6% is approaching essential fat levels (i.e. unachievable for most).
Who can use them properly then?

(Original post by yudothis)
Can you see them if you tense?

When I lost 6kg you could see them faintly in normal state, but properly when tensed. Don't be fooled by ig photos and the like, they all tense in them.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter at what body fat % - just keep losing fat til yours show.
I can just about see a bit of abs if I tense. If I tense, my stomach is very hard and flat, and I can pretty much pinch no fat off it.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Who can use them properly then?
Best if someone else uses them on you, rather than you trying to do it. To get the best estimate, you need to take measurements from specific sites and unless you're a contortionist, I don't know how you do a subscapularis skinfold measurement on yourself.
username3917068
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a pair of body fat calipers off Amazon (they were well reviewed and a top seller)
As previously mentioned you can not do it on yourself. If you've only just moved into uni then get a flatmate to do it, knock on their door with the caliper - perfect opportunity to bond
snowman77
Rep:
?
Best if someone else uses them on you, rather than you trying to do it. To get the best estimate, you need to take measurements from specific sites and unless you're a contortionist, I don't know how you do a subscapularis skinfold measurement on yourself.
(Original post by JamieK03)
[/font][/size]
I got someone else to do it on me and we got nearly identical measurements. What was that about not being able to do it by myself?
username3917068
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got someone else to do it on me and we got nearly identical measurements. What was that about not being able to do it by myself?
Well, you've certainly proved me wrong - bravo.

I'm more curious about who you got to do it? Was it a friend? Flatmate? Would you be kind enough to share the conversation you had when you initiated the request?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You must be so pleased

So you managed to do a subscapularis on yourself? I suggest you make an appointment with your GP pronto!
Nabopolassar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on your genetics. I could see my top two abs at 18%, but some of my friends didn't until they went to single digits. Generally around 12% tho
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say in the 8-13% region, it also depends on how well trained/developed your abs are. The more trained, the higher bf they’re visable. I know someone who used to have amazing abs but went downhill and gained a lot of weight but his abs were still visible even with extra fat around his belly
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's a bit of a pointless question. You'll see them when you can see them.

It depends on your training history, your genetics etc. The lower your bodyfat, the more well defined they'll appear.

Fixating on a bodyfat percentage, which, unless you have access to a hydrostatic underwater weighing facility or something similar, you won't even know your bf% to any meaningful degree.
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Cringe
snowman77
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamieK03)
Well, you've certainly proved me wrong - bravo.

I'm more curious about who you got to do it? Was it a friend? Flatmate? Would you be kind enough to share the conversation you had when you initiated the request?
It was my brother. I just asked him "hey bro (I didn't actually call him bro, I used his real name), I got these calipers that supposedly measure your body fat. Is it alright if you take a measurement for me, just in case the measurement I did on myself wasn't accurate?". And he did it. Not sure why you think it's so embarrassing to ask someone else?

You must be so pleased

So you managed to do a subscapularis on yourself? I suggest you make an appointment with your GP pronto!
No, the manual says to take a measurement about 1 inch above your right hip bone. Why do I need an appointment with my GP?

(Original post by Angry cucumber)
Cringe
How is that cringe?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.31%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.52%
No (89)
49.17%

Watched Threads