The Student Room Group

Second referendum for brexit a saviour

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kevin70
tampered with ... by Oxford analytics

Original post by Kevin70
The first referendum is invalid because of Oxford Analytics tampering with the results.

Who?

Reminds me of this tweet:
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 15.49.47.jpg

PS. Posting the same thing twice doesn't make it right. Stlll.
(edited 5 years ago)
We should have another referendum but the Remainers have to wait as long as the Leavers did... 41 years, by then the EUSSR will have collapsed anyways...
Reply 22
Turning to China after EU kicks out will only aggravate the situation as instead of the quality products we used to import from EU we will end up importing low quality junk from China. Also, when UK becomes a second Greece and collapses economically EU will not rush to our help this time. In addition, UK is running out of oil and will need Russia for supply but Russia will be on the side of EU specially as conservative government has antagonised Russia. If UK was a large country with advanced industry and strong economy like USA or Russia then it might have somewhat survived the consequences of brexit. To make matters worse, Scotland is seeking independence and aims to stay in EU which will reduce UK to just a very small country. Labour who is fully aware of all of these facts must act more proactively to oust the Tories before they comoletely destroy the economy and put everyone below breadline. Situation is so bad already that three million properties are being used as shares accommodation and homelessness is becoming so rampant. Situation looks too dire already!
Original post by Kevin70
Turning to China after EU kicks out will only aggravate the situation as instead of the quality products we used to import from EU we will end up importing low quality junk from China. Also, when UK becomes a second Greece and collapses economically EU will not rush to our help this time. In addition, UK is running out of oil and will need Russia for supply but Russia will be on the side of EU specially as conservative government has antagonised Russia. If UK was a large country with advanced industry and strong economy like USA or Russia then it might have somewhat survived the consequences of brexit. To make matters worse, Scotland is seeking independence and aims to stay in EU which will reduce UK to just a very small country. Labour who is fully aware of all of these facts must act more proactively to oust the Tories before they comoletely destroy the economy and put everyone below breadline. Situation is so bad already that three million properties are being used as shares accommodation and homelessness is becoming so rampant. Situation looks too dire already!

Have you considered becoming a "Doomsday Prepper".?
It's something which you might want to consider perhaps ....
Medicines ....beer ...wine .....the mind boggles as to how bad things might become . I've decided if everything collapses , then I'm moving to Greece or Italy. ...because they're certain to get bailed out by the rest 😆😃
Reply 24
Original post by zhog
And if a second referendum fails to deliver the right result we just need to keep them coming until the original one is reversed!
At least this time round, people will know that much of the argument for Brexit (£350million a week for the NHS, no more immigrants, complete independence from Europe, "the people" taking control of sovereignty, massive trade deals with the US, etc) was just lies.
There should be a multiple choice question on some factual element of Brexit in the ballot and any that get it wrong are binned. Or perhaps a "Complete this sentence in 30 words or fewer - I am voting Leave because..." question. The answers to be assessed by me.
Not gonna happen son.

Leave may win by an even bigger margin.
Reply 26
Original post by Johnny English
Pathetic . Its an unwritten rule that a referendum decides the countries intent and mandate ....not two or three until you get it right . A second referendum is never going to happen . The end .
The referendum was legally only an advisory process. The government is not obliged to carry out the result. It
Personally, I think a Brexit deal should have been negotiated before the referendum, and we should then have voted stay or leave based on the deal offered. To have been asked to vote based on something that even the most political among us couldn't possibly understand - due to not being given enough/accurate information - is unfair and ridiculous.

I don't think there should be repeat referendums if people just aren't happy with the result, however I think in this case people were so misguided on the approach to the previous referendum, it would make sense to put together proper information for people to read, and then repeat the process. It would have to be an unbiased summary of what each choice would mean.. although I'm not sure that is even achievable to be honest.
Reply 28
The country has spoken .
No. 32% of the country has spoken. And most of them only wanted to get rid of the bloody immigrants turning Britain into a sharia state taking our jobs have you seen them down the high street hanging's too good for them would you like one living next door to you it's not what we fought two World Wars for I like a curry as much as the next man but...
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Personally, I think a Brexit deal should have been negotiated before the referendum, and we should then have voted stay or leave based on the deal offered. To have been asked to vote based on something that even the most political among us couldn't possibly understand - due to not being given enough/accurate information - is unfair and ridiculous.

I don't think there should be repeat referendums if people just aren't happy with the result, however I think in this case people were so misguided on the approach to the previous referendum, it would make sense to put together proper information for people to read, and then repeat the process. It would have to be an unbiased summary of what each choice would mean.. although I'm not sure that is even achievable to be honest.

There were some kind of negoiations before the referendum I believe, although granted not on Brexit.
Reply 30
Original post by Drewski
Not one word of that was true.
Quite a few were, in actual fact.

In the most important city in UK, London, majority voted for Remain as did most educated young people across the country.
Nigel Farage pulled the wool over the faces of naive people by producing fake facts and figures.
The main reason why most elderly people voted for Leave was because of immigration.
Basically, the referendum was based on racism and nationalistic sentiments.
Reply 31
Original post by QE2
No. 32% of the country has spoken. And most of them only wanted to get rid of the bloody immigrants turning Britain into a sharia state taking our jobs have you seen them down the high street hanging's too good for them would you like one living next door to you it's not what we fought two World Wars for I like a curry as much as the next man but...

The main reason for Brexit was immigration specially from Romania, Hungary, Poland, Lithuania and Bulgaria.
Reply 32
They live a normal life It's landrovers ..it's youth clubs. ..it's rugby ...it's football ....it's all things Britain and should be preserved for its cultural identity. Millions of immigrants have flooded in and the counary is full to bursting . .
What was that you said about "living in the real world"?

There are not enough houses schools or hospitals and the indigenous types have had enough . No more ...no more
Perhaps not racism, but certainly xenophobia. There are probably more immigrants working in most hospitals than there are being treated in them.
Original post by fallen_acorns
one thing I take issue too, is the idea that "people voted brxit, but now they see the economic effects, they will vote remain!"

- its incredibly stupid an untrue.

If there is one lesson to learn from the first referendum, its that people who voted leave fall into two catagories:

A, those that don't give a **** about the economy..
B, those that want to radically change our economy in the long-term

Neither of those catagories will have changed their mind..

group A. are largely working class, and feel like they have very little to loose.. they are motivated by: immigration, nationalism, and principle first.. rather than practical reason. They want less immigration, and more control over our laws and our own country - even if it makes us a bit poorer. They don't care if your house prices go down, or if a few middle class people loose a bit of savings.. they already feel like have already lost so much due to mass immigration, that they no longer give a ****. They were shouted at for months last time tha they would be poorer.. they would be worse off.. they would loose thousands a year.. etc. etc. - and they didn't give a ****. They voted for it anyway.

group B. are more radical, they are upper-class and middle class individuals who want more gloablisaiton, not less. They are actually uposed to group A, but tolerate them to get where they want.. they want extreme open boarder policies, global free trade, low tax economic policy etc. They know that in the short term, they will loose out economically, but they believe that in the long-run things will work out better for the UK if they follow the model they advocate for.

-- the remain side will loose the refendum for a second time, if it makes it all about economics and money. It tried that again and again the first time, and if they still haven't realised that that is not how you will ever win this vote.. then they deserve to loose again and again.

....yep....
Reply 34
Original post by Andrew97
Not gonna happen son.

Leave may win by an even bigger margin.
It would rely on the proportion of the electorate actually voting this time. The majority of the people who didn't vote were from the demographics that mostly voted Remain.
Original post by QE2
It would rely on the proportion of the electorate actually voting this time. The majority of the people who didn't vote were from the demographics that mostly voted Remain.

Hence I said may.

However there will be a chunk of people who think that we should just get on with it, equally I suppose a decent chunk of Brexiteers who don’t bother to vote at all as they feel they are not being listened too.
Original post by QE2
What was that you said about "living in the real world"?

Perhaps not racism, but certainly xenophobia. There are probably more immigrants working in most hospitals than there are being treated in them.

Well....it's the real world where I live and true .I couldn't give a toss what phobia it is but theres millions more out there than there are working in the NHS .
That's truthophobia. ....
The atmosphere on here seems to be one of tempering ones observations so as to not offend those living culturally enriched lives in the city .....but I don't live that life and neither do many more . The language and reality of real life is far more colourful and honest but also works both ways .....
If someone calls me a big fat bastuurd then I'd agree with them everytime . I couldnt give a **** aabout what religious rule or phobia it is registered under . Life's too short pal ....get one .
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by QE2
The referendum was legally only an advisory process. The government is not obliged to carry out the result. It

Wrong .

It is obliged to carry out the result . It always has been . It may not be legally binding but you risking breaking nearly 200 years of tradition and have a stigma attached for another 200 .
What's the point in having one if you are simply going to ignore it ?
Theresa May knows what the mandate is and what the repercussions are if she breaks them ....the same goes for Corbyns communists .
Reply 38
Problem is both Corbyn and May are incompetent and diffident politician. UK needs a strong, self-confident and open-minded leader. Leaving the country to these leaders is like having a wolf to babysit a lamb. Complete overhaul of Conservative abd Labour parties along with immediate change of their leaders is becoming more and more urgent.
Reply 39
Might as well destroy all democracy in the UK while you're at it.

You can't cry until you get what you want, the vote is final.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending