assassinjeev22
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, i really need some guidance at this point please!

So i just started lectures for engineering at university a week ago and im overwhelmed.

I dont go out or go to parties so im working all the time but it seems that theres only so much i can do in 1 day. On my first day we did vectors and i didnt really get 1/2 of it as i didnt do some of the stuff before in a levels. So i read up on it, did some questions which took up 3-4 days to fully understand whats going on (i never really get anything when learning stuff on my own so it takes a long time to try and understand it).

And i also have 5 other modules to read up on which piled up while trying to understand the first but i just dont have the time. Im afraid the work is just going to keep piling up and im going to fall drastically behind and fail. And ontop of this i have to prepare for lessons in advance too! Its even tampering with my sleep.

You see i dont really know how university works. Is it like a levels where they teach you the stuff you need to know for exams then you read up on it if you dont understand anything and do questions? or is it like they just tell you what it is and outline it and you have to go and try and understand it conceptually on your own and do questions?

and this is the first week... ;(

Please could someone give me guidance/advice? Any thing would be appreciated! Thank you for reading this long thing.
VETwannabe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Uni is basically like A levels with a bit more freedom. It does depend on the course but since you're on an intense engineering course, there's so much info out there that the lecturers will tell you what you need to know for your exams and if they want you to do additional research, they'll tell you.

My first bit of advice is speak to the lecturers straight away. If there's something you don't understand during the lecture, make a note of it and go to the lecturer at the end of your class, and ask them to explain it until you get it. if it's going to take too much time, ask to arrange a meeting with them to discuss it. Don't feel like you have to struggle through this alone.

Secondly, make friends with some smart people. Sit with them in lectures and ask them to go through things with you afterwards to help you understand. luckily you're still at the stage where people haven't properly formed their friendship groups yet, so find the smart people who pick up the material quickly and sit with them.

Thirdly, find yourself some second years who you could befriend. This is easiest done through joining your engineering society. They might only ever go out for drinks/clubbing, but getting to know at least one of them will be a help to you because they've done all this stuff last year. They might be able to give you some pointers.

Remember never to hole yourself up in your room and struggle on your own, because uni isn't supposed to make you feel overwhelmed so much that you feel like you're going to fail. If you managed to get accepted onto your degree then you've already shown that you can do this.

Good luck
assassinjeev22
Rep:
?
(Original post by VETwannabe)
Uni is basically like A levels with a bit more freedom. It does depend on the course but since you're on an intense engineering course, there's so much info out there that the lecturers will tell you what you need to know for your exams and if they want you to do additional research, they'll tell you.

My first bit of advice is speak to the lecturers straight away. If there's something you don't understand during the lecture, make a note of it and go to the lecturer at the end of your class, and ask them to explain it until you get it. if it's going to take too much time, ask to arrange a meeting with them to discuss it. Don't feel like you have to struggle through this alone.

Secondly, make friends with some smart people. Sit with them in lectures and ask them to go through things with you afterwards to help you understand. luckily you're still at the stage where people haven't properly formed their friendship groups yet, so find the smart people who pick up the material quickly and sit with them.

Thirdly, find yourself some second years who you could befriend. This is easiest done through joining your engineering society. They might only ever go out for drinks/clubbing, but getting to know at least one of them will be a help to you because they've done all this stuff last year. They might be able to give you some pointers.

Remember never to hole yourself up in your room and struggle on your own, because uni isn't supposed to make you feel overwhelmed so much that you feel like you're going to fail. If you managed to get accepted onto your degree then you've already shown that you can do this.

Good luck
Oh my goodness. I cannot ever thank you enough for this amazing advice! Really, thank you I really appreciate you taking your time to help me through this. Thank you!
VETwannabe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by assassinjeev22)
Oh my goodness. I cannot ever thank you enough for this amazing advice! Really, thank you I really appreciate you taking your time to help me through this. Thank you!
Honey, you are more than welcome. No one deserves to struggle at uni. I really hope my advice helps make it a bit easier for you so you can actually have a good uni experience, like you're meant to ❤️
Nabopolassar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends where you go. If you're at a top uni the workload is intense. I almost had a nervous breakdown in my first year.

Treat it like a job, do 9-5 everyday and you'll pull through
assassinjeev22
Rep:
?
Nabopolassar VETwannabe thank you guys. Really. this advice has really lifted a lot of weight from my shoulders and I shall try my best. Have an amazing day!
Ridinghigh95
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by assassinjeev22)
Hi, i really need some guidance at this point please!

So i just started lectures for engineering at university a week ago and im overwhelmed.

I dont go out or go to parties so im working all the time but it seems that theres only so much i can do in 1 day. On my first day we did vectors and i didnt really get 1/2 of it as i didnt do some of the stuff before in a levels. So i read up on it, did some questions which took up 3-4 days to fully understand whats going on (i never really get anything when learning stuff on my own so it takes a long time to try and understand it).

And i also have 5 other modules to read up on which piled up while trying to understand the first but i just dont have the time. Im afraid the work is just going to keep piling up and im going to fall drastically behind and fail. And ontop of this i have to prepare for lessons in advance too! Its even tampering with my sleep.

You see i dont really know how university works. Is it like a levels where they teach you the stuff you need to know for exams then you read up on it if you dont understand anything and do questions? or is it like they just tell you what it is and outline it and you have to go and try and understand it conceptually on your own and do questions?

and this is the first week... ;(

Please could someone give me guidance/advice? Any thing would be appreciated! Thank you for reading this long thing.
Hi I can’t help but I’m going to just say I’m in the exact same boat. I just started a biology degree. I have various modules, work shops, lab days and maths . I’m not even very good at it! Or maths! I’m dreading it and scared and I’m also thinking I will fail at fall behind.
Ridinghigh95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Good luck
Sorry to jump in your post. But this is fantastic advice . I feel the exact same as the poster and I also have already felt I’ll have to quit as I travel in and worry my traveling time will impact on me aswel as all the lab days, maths, online tasks, I am used to working ridiculous hours ( mature student ) but this feels impossible :/
VETwannabe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ridinghigh95)
Sorry to jump in your post. But this is fantastic advice . I feel the exact same as the poster and I also have already felt I’ll have to quit as I travel in and worry my traveling time will impact on me aswel as all the lab days, maths, online tasks, I am used to working ridiculous hours ( mature student ) but this feels impossible :/
I'm glad I could help. Honestly, when you're struggling it can be difficult to see what your options are, so it's always helpful to have an external point of view. I think for you, being a commuter will definitely bring some challenges, but hopefully if you find and stick to other mature students (or commuters) as well, you'll have people who can relate to you and you'll all be able to help each other. But one thing I can't stress enough is for you to seek help when you need it. Asking your lecturers for help when you're struggling can help build a sort of rapport with them and you might reach a stage where you can discuss other things with them e.g. your worries about your commute. You never know where you'll find gems of wisdom and your personal tutor (if you have one) might not be someone you feel comfortable speaking to about your troubles, so lecturers can be a saving grace in that regard.
Anyhoo, I'll stop there before I keep blabbing on
Best of luck with your studies! I'm a mature student too, so feel free to PM me if you ever fancy a chat (or need to rant/vent).
Ridinghigh95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm glad I could help. Honestly, when you're struggling it can be difficult to see what your options are, so it's always helpful to have an external point of view. I think for you, being a commuter will definitely bring some challenges, but hopefully if you find and stick to other mature students (or commuters) as well, you'll have people who can relate to you and you'll all be able to help each other. But one thing I can't stress enough is for you to seek help when you need it. Asking your lecturers for help when you're struggling can help build a sort of rapport with them and you might reach a stage where you can discuss other things with them e.g. your worries about your commute. You never know where you'll find gems of wisdom and your personal tutor (if you have one) might not be someone you feel comfortable speaking to about your troubles, so lecturers can be a saving grace in that regard.
Anyhoo, I'll stop there before I keep blabbing on
Best of luck with your studies! I'm a mature student too, so feel free to PM me if you ever fancy a chat (or need to rant/vent).
Thank you so much. I think at the minute , it’s so new, a massive change, knowing what’s to come - a lot of contact hours ontop of everything else in life, when I’m very novice with academic stuff it’s very overwhelming. It’s been already in my mind I could just quit and go back to work!! But then other days I feel so happy I’m doing this. I’m sure a lot feel the same, I just worry a lot before I have anything to worry about. I don’t know people very well yet or had chance to talk to mentors, lecturers etc
but when I can, I will do. There isn’t anyone else mature on my course but there are some young commuters which is great. It can just help so much hearing from people like you, or those at my uni who will understand and know it’s possible to work through problems, the fact I’m not as maybe ready as A level younger students and know I have the potential to do it. I think I just need help and reassurance whilst I get settled in and do my first lots of work or maybe the whole year ! But I’ll seek help the best I can, when the opportunity arises . Thank you )
VETwannabe
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ridinghigh95)
Thank you so much. I think at the minute , it’s so new, a massive change, knowing what’s to come - a lot of contact hours ontop of everything else in life, when I’m very novice with academic stuff it’s very overwhelming. It’s been already in my mind I could just quit and go back to work!! But then other days I feel so happy I’m doing this. I’m sure a lot feel the same, I just worry a lot before I have anything to worry about. I don’t know people very well yet or had chance to talk to mentors, lecturers etc
but when I can, I will do. There isn’t anyone else mature on my course but there are some young commuters which is great. It can just help so much hearing from people like you, or those at my uni who will understand and know it’s possible to work through problems, the fact I’m not as maybe ready as A level younger students and know I have the potential to do it. I think I just need help and reassurance whilst I get settled in and do my first lots of work or maybe the whole year ! But I’ll seek help the best I can, when the opportunity arises . Thank you )
Hopefully it is just worry over the unknown. You're pretty far out of your comfort zone, suddenly surrounded by fresh-faced 18/19 year olds. It can definitely feel isolating as well, being the only mature student on your course. I know I've felt isolated before too, but for standing out in a different way. So, if you want to, you can look for a society that's specifically for older students, most uni's have one one, and hopefully you'll find some new friends there too
You've got this, just take it one day at a time and you'll slowly find your feet. Best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?