The Student Room Group

Oxbridge economics

I went to a comprenhsive school where grades were exceptionally low for my year hence I was awarded top 10 student grades.
I achieved:
3x8 - one of which was maths
5x7/A
1x6
1x5
I study at one of the top colleges in England (Sir John Deanes) and have taken:
Maths
Economics
Business studies
I’m focusing to work really hard to get predicted:
A* maths
A* business
A economics
Do I have a chance of getting into oxbridge with these grades (due to poorish GCSE) to take economics
Please reply thanks
To get into Cambridge you need A*A*A for Economics.
To get into Oxford you need A*AA for Economics and Management.

Doing Economics and Business studies is (to me) not a good combination, and perhaps Oxbridge would feel the same way.
Ideally, you would like to be predicted A* in economics, given that it is the subject you want to study.

However, the main necessary prediction is A* in maths.

Your GCSE's can be excused for the circumstances you've mentioned. I just don't know if the A-Level combination you're doing is what Oxbridge (or other universities) want to see, when applying for Economics.

My opinion. Being predicted 2 A*'s though and an A surely gives you a chance :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by pereira325
To get into Cambridge you need A*A*A for Economics.
To get into Oxford you need A*AA for Economics and Management.

Doing Economics and Business studies is (to me) not a good combination, and perhaps Oxbridge would feel the same way.
Ideally, you would like to be predicted A* in economics, given that it is the subject you want to study.

However, the main necessary prediction is A* in maths.

Your GCSE's can be excused for the circumstances you've mentioned. I just don't know if the A-Level combination you're doing is what Oxbridge (or other universities) want to see, when applying for Economics.

My opinion. Being predicted 2 A*'s though and an A surely gives you a chance :smile:

When I first joined John deanes they said this combo was excellent but I’d be interested in why they would rather have a different combination.
If I really focus on economics to get the A* prediction, so all 3 A* do I have any chance?
Reply 3
Original post by Paul939393
I went to a comprenhsive school where grades were exceptionally low for my year hence I was awarded top 10 student grades.
I achieved:
3x8 - one of which was maths
5x7/A
1x6
1x5
I study at one of the top colleges in England (Sir John Deanes) and have taken:
Maths
Economics
Business studies
I’m focusing to work really hard to get predicted:
A* maths
A* business
A economics
Do I have a chance of getting into oxbridge with these grades (due to poorish GCSE) to take economics
Please reply thanks

I suggest you ask a Cambridge AT's opinion in their thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5597134
Applying to Cambridge 2019 entry - ask the Admissions Teams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paul939393
When I first joined John deanes they said this combo was excellent but I’d be interested in why they would rather have a different combination.
If I really focus on economics to get the A* prediction, so all 3 A* do I have any chance?

Mainly because business is considered Economics-lite.
It's like if you're doing Maths and FM some unis just consider it as 1 A-Level.
Additionally, business A-Level is considered "easier".

If you don't have "any chance" with 3 A* predictions, the whole grade system is jacked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending