The Student Room Group

What do I do

I revise everyday so much but it looks like nothing is paying off. I am still struggling in my subjects especially maths.How do i improve my memory etc I don’t know what to do. I put in a lot of work but I’m still not improving by much. I need help please.
Here's what I'd suggest:

- study using the syllabus (this has seriously helped me and saved a lot of time for me!!!)

- ALWAYS make notes using the syllabus objectives and then keep studying those notes plus use them whilst doing past papers. These notes should be like an "answer" to all the bullet points / objectives in the syllabus

example:
students must know the value of pi

your note should be:
- pi has the value of 3.14159...

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••
keep doing that and try your best to both UNDERSTAND and REMEMBER all those notes - you can even remember if you have a photographic memory. This can be achieved if you constantly use the syllabus and literally just memorize the structure of the contents. So you'll easily remember what topic 1 mentions or what you don't understand from topic 4 and sometimes if you can't remember stuff, thinking about the syllabus or simply just picturing it for a few minutes could possibly help you remember certain topics.

the key is to make these notes months before exams and then constantly use them to study, or even while doing past papers - and trust me, you'll definitely do better! MARK MY WORDS! (but that's if you follow all the steps I've mentioned and put in just the right amount of effort)

Oh and, stick to one motto: "If it isn't in the syllabus then it most definitely will not be in the exam"

- BUT, if unfamiliar things do pop up in the exam despite not being covered in the syllabus, then as a school, you can sue the exam board involved (just stating facts!)

NOTE: You should always read ahead just to get an idea of what you'll be studying the next day / week / month.

*** If you need any help regarding this then I am more than happy to help out :smile: ***

PS: I just finished my A Levels in June (Business, Economics and Chemistry)

------- Hope this helped -------
For maths have a look at the examples in the book. Look at each step carefully, and work out how they got to the next step. Make notes if you need to. Then try and complete exercises, going back to the steps taken in the examples. You really need to understand the why behind each step, that's the important part. What does doing this step achieve.

For other subjects, it depends on your learning style, but what works for me is writing and rewriting notes, trying hard to understand them as you write. It's not enough to just copy them down, you need to take your time and understand the why behind each point. Why is this true? Why is this important? Create mental links between points. It will take a long while to get though a syllabus this way,and if it doesn't you haven't done it right, but once you go back through it afterwards you'll realise you actually know a lot already.
For maths have a look at the examples in the book. Look at each step carefully, and work out how they got to the next step. Make notes if you need to. Then try and complete exercises, going back to the steps taken in the examples. You really need to understand the why behind each step, that's the important part. What does doing this step achieve.

For other subjects, it depends on your learning style, but what works for me is writing and rewriting notes, trying hard to understand them as you write. It's not enough to just copy them down, you need to take your time and understand the why behind each point. Why is this true? Why is this important? Create mental links between points. It will take a long while to get though a syllabus this way,and if it doesn't you haven't done it right, but once you go back through it afterwards you'll realise you actually know a lot already.

Quick Reply

Latest