The Student Room Group

Issues with noise at night

I've been living in my new accommodation rented out by a private landlord since 2 months.
Ever since I moved in there has not been a single night where I was able to sleep without any trouble because of the constant noise of the other tenants.
I have talked to them and asked them multiple times to shut down the noise after 22:00 and if that is not possible at all at least to shut it after midnight. They "agreed" to do so and just went straight ahead and kept making noise all night despite my complains.
The contracts are set up that everyone is contracted to the landlord individually and the contract also states:

"At all times, but in particular between 10.00pm and 8.00am when other Tenants or adjoining residents and neighbours will typically want to sleep, not make any noise or play any radio, television, audio equipment or musical instrument in or about the Property, that is so loud that it causes nuisance, annoyance or inconvenience to other Tenants, neighbours or other adjoining residents or people in the immediate area, and not permit any guest or visitor at the Property to be guilty of such conduct. The Tenant shall note that sound/bass travels easily through a party wall of a semi-detached property."

I am now going to talk to my landlord on Monday to see what kind of actions I can take since talking did not work out. I am wondering if anyone has advice to which extend I can go to ensure I can actually sleep and that the other tenants stick to the contract they signed.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Original post by alex1431999
I've been living in my new accommodation rented out by a private landlord since 2 months.
Ever since I moved in there has not been a single night where I was able to sleep without any trouble because of the constant noise of the other tenants.
I have talked to them and asked them multiple times to shut down the noise after 22:00 and if that is not possible at all at least to shut it after midnight. They "agreed" to do so and just went straight ahead and kept making noise all night despite my complains.
The contracts are set up that everyone is contracted to the landlord individually and the contract also states:

"At all times, but in particular between 10.00pm and 8.00am when other Tenants or adjoining residents and neighbours will typically want to sleep, not make any noise or play any radio, television, audio equipment or musical instrument in or about the Property, that is so loud that it causes nuisance, annoyance or inconvenience to other Tenants, neighbours or other adjoining residents or people in the immediate area, and not permit any guest or visitor at the Property to be guilty of such conduct. The Tenant shall note that sound/bass travels easily through a party wall of a semi-detached property."

I am now going to talk to my landlord on Monday to see what kind of actions I can take since talking did not work out. I am wondering if anyone has advice to which extend I can go to ensure I can actually sleep and that the other tenants stick to the contract they signed.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Theres nothing you can do to make sure they stop really, what you can do is just isolate the noise as much as you can. The landlord won't evict a paying tenant unless they have to
My university took a dim view of noisy students both in halls and when complaints were made from home owners and private tenants. Landlords would be contacted and there were some landlords who evicted students because they wanted to maintain their relationship with the university.

Quick Reply

Latest