The Student Room Group

Oxford English Applicants 2019 Entry

I haven't seen a new thread for 2019 English Lit applicants, so thought I'd get a discussion going! If there's already a thread on this topic, please let me know.

Please introduce yourselves!

Name: Anne
College (and why?): Not 100% sure yet, possibly Hertford

I've been prepping for the ELAT - so far, so good!
How is your prep going? Which college are you thinking of applying to and why?
Good luck to everyone - I hope the fall flies by (in a good way) and that everyone is granted an interview!

Scroll to see replies

Hey there!

Name: Gabi
College: Keble - I wanted a big, lively college + the O'Reilly theatre

I've also been preparing for the ELAT haha, how are you going about your prep? Also what's your essay on - there are no written work threads for English anywhere so I was a tad confused as to what to submit.
Good luck to you too xxxx :smile:
Hello guys!

Name: (prefer not to reveal! sorry lol I'm a bit weird with anonymity)
College: Exeter (to be honest, I don't really know. I just always liked it best!)

Preparing for ELATs as well, I mean it's nothing that new, but I'm still really scared. I can't stop comparing my practice essays with the "2015 sample responses".... I know I'm probably not the best judge but mine looks so freaking mediocre. Don't even want to imagine how tragic it will be if I don't even make it to the interview stage :frown: (ahhh sorry for that ELAT stress got me again)

But enough of this insecure moping--it's really nice to meet you all. It's going to be an interesting few months :wink: & good luck everyone!
Reply 3
Hi!!!!

Name: Toni
College: Worcester - just adore it it’s so beautiful and the Provost always appears on this radio show I listen to!

To be honest I’m not doing much at the moment but I am just making sure that whenever I’m reading that I do so closely and I’m being really careful about my written expression!

I don’t want to over prepare because of course there’s no set list of things we need to know so :/. Also since I’m applying for English with French I’m paying attention to the MLAT as it’s a bit more ‘formulaic’ and needs more revision.

Good luck everyone!! All the best xx
Original post by DoubtfulWill
Hello guys!

Name: (prefer not to reveal! sorry lol I'm a bit weird with anonymity)
College: Exeter (to be honest, I don't really know. I just always liked it best!)

Preparing for ELATs as well, I mean it's nothing that new, but I'm still really scared. I can't stop comparing my practice essays with the "2015 sample responses".... I know I'm probably not the best judge but mine looks so freaking mediocre. Don't even want to imagine how tragic it will be if I don't even make it to the interview stage :frown: (ahhh sorry for that ELAT stress got me again)

But enough of this insecure moping--it's really nice to meet you all. It's going to be an interesting few months :wink: & good luck everyone!

Hey!
Oh my god I totally get you, I've been comparing all of my past paper attempts to the 2015 marked ones and holy guacamole it's making me freak out.
I've decided to practice the ELAT with slightly less time than they give you, and in the meantime to keep building my vocab and work on the fluidity of my overall style. How are you going about making sure you improve from practice to practice? :smile: Cheers xx
Reply 5
Original post by toniq
Hi!!!!

College: Worcester - just adore it it’s so beautiful and the Provost always appears on this radio show I listen to!

To be honest I’m not doing much at the moment but I am just making sure that whenever I’m reading that I do so closely and I’m being really careful about my written expression!

I don’t want to over prepare because of course there’s no set list of things we need to know so :/. Also since I’m applying for English with French I’m paying attention to the MLAT as it’s a bit more ‘formulaic’ and needs more revision.

Hey! My name is Kris and I'm from Cuba.

I'm also applying to Worcester (for English Language and Literature). I visited the campus this summer and it is super beautiful + the people are super friendly. I've also heard Jonathan Bate's podcasts haha. I haven't revised for the ELAT either. I don't know how to; I think it's really just down to skill... so good to see I'm not the only one :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by kverb
Hey! My name is Kris and I'm from Cuba.

I'm also applying to Worcester (for English Language and Literature). I visited the campus this summer and it is super beautiful + the people are super friendly. I've also heard Jonathan Bate's podcasts haha. I haven't revised for the ELAT either. I don't know how to; I think it's really just down to skill... so good to see I'm not the only one :smile:

Hi omg that’s so cool!!

And ya that’s what I’m thinking I feel like overdoing it will just hinder me to be honest.

Best of luck mate!
Reply 7
Original post by toniq
Hi omg that’s so cool!!

And ya that’s what I’m thinking I feel like overdoing it will just hinder me to be honest.

Best of luck mate!

Good luck to you too! Hope to see you sometime then :smile:
Reply 8
hi everyone, I've applied to St Hughs for English.
feeling a bit stressed about the Elat test. I have only done 2essays so far and rad the sample papers.
what has everyone else done to prepare?
Good luck everyone! x
Reply 9
Hey!
Name: Spencer
College: Christ Church (mostly for social life and aesthetic tbh)
Getting ready for the ELAT, couldn't think of a more frightening way to spend Halloween!
how are people preparing for the Elat? how many past papers have you done, how are you finding them? x
Hi, I'm Bethan.I live in Swansea, Wales.I've applied to Balliol (I love the old architecture of the college and its liberal atmosphere.)Safe to say I'm incredibly nervous for the ELAT, been looking at past papers and samples, but doing my first timed past paper tomorrow. Slightly off-topic question, but what grades do you reckon most successful applicants get at A Level? I know the entrance is AAA, but I can't help but feel like everyone there gets straight A*.
Original post by bethanspacey
Hi, I'm Bethan.I live in Swansea, Wales.I've applied to Balliol (I love the old architecture of the college and its liberal atmosphere.)Safe to say I'm incredibly nervous for the ELAT, been looking at past papers and samples, but doing my first timed past paper tomorrow. Slightly off-topic question, but what grades do you reckon most successful applicants get at A Level? I know the entrance is AAA, but I can't help but feel like everyone there gets straight A*.

The most popular grades achieved are A*AA, according to Which?
Original post by Daisy02
The most popular grades achieved are A*AA, according to Which?

Awesome, thank you!
Hey, I'm Anna (from England)! I'm applying post-A level to Worcester for English Language & Literature. With the ELAT, I'm not going too over the top with preparation, just continuing to read widely and doing a bit of close analysis. I'll probably do a coupe of timed papers before the actual thing. I've also applied to Durham (St. Cuthberts), Bristol, Edinburgh and UCL but haven't heard from any of them yet!!
Reply 15
Hey again guys :smile: Just wondering... How many texts did you mention in your personal statement? I'm kind of scared because I included 4 Brits, 3 Americans, and 1 French. I also referenced two authors. Is that really awful?
Reply 16
Original post by kverb
Hey again guys :smile: Just wondering... How many texts did you mention in your personal statement? I'm kind of scared because I included 4 Brits, 3 Americans, and 1 French. I also referenced two authors. Is that really awful?

I wouldn’t worry I don’t think there’s a quota for the amount of texts you mention I think they just want to know what interests you idk though

I think I referenced 2 playwrights, a screenwriter, and a novelist and then like just some random essayists and authors so don’t worry at least you’ve got more than me hahahahaha
Reply 17
Original post by toniq
I wouldn’t worry I don’t think there’s a quota for the amount of texts you mention I think they just want to know what interests you idk though

I think I referenced 2 playwrights, a screenwriter, and a novelist and then like just some random essayists and authors so don’t worry at least you’ve got more than me hahahahaha

Oh okay :smile: glad to see someone else is all over the place (in terms of PS authors) hahaha. Btw I ended up applying for Wadham... Don't know if I should be regretting it though.
What is Jonathan bates podcast called? It sounds interesting, a few people have mentioned it
Original post by toniq
Hi!!!!

What is Jonathan Bate's podcast called? It sounds very interesting

Quick Reply