The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Physics Open Questions

Thread for open questions for advanced higher physics. Post your questions! Someone might know!
Reply 1
5. Two students are discussing objects escaping from the gravitational pull of the Earth. They make the following statements:
Student 1: A rocket has to accelerate until it reaches the escape velocity of the Earth in order to escape its gravitational pull.
Student 2: The moon is travelling slower than the escape velocity of the Earth and yet it has escaped.
Use your knowledge of physics to comment on these statements.
Original post by skellerz
Thread for open questions for advanced higher physics. Post your questions! Someone might know!

:wavey: I've moved this over to Scottish Qualifications, so other people doing AH physics will hopefully see it too :smile:
Reply 3
An object of mass 0.20 kg is connected by a string to an object of half its mass. The
smaller mass is rotating at a radius of 0.15 m on a table which has a frictionless surface.
The larger mass is suspended through a hole in the middle of the table.
Calculate the number of revolutions per minute the smaller mass must make so that the larger mass is stationary?

Can anyone explain this question as it is frustrating as i am using the smaller mass to calculate Tension, i don't know whether the 0.20kg will be used.
Original post by Hey234
An object of mass 0.20 kg is connected by a string to an object of half its mass. The
smaller mass is rotating at a radius of 0.15 m on a table which has a frictionless surface.
The larger mass is suspended through a hole in the middle of the table.
Calculate the number of revolutions per minute the smaller mass must make so that the larger mass is stationary?

Can anyone explain this question as it is frustrating as i am using the smaller mass to calculate Tension, i don't know whether the 0.20kg will be used.

Please post in the correct thread or start a new thread in the physics forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending