The Student Room Group

Teacher changed my coursework without asking me!

Okay so I had to give my teacher my coursework title/premise proposal for English language.
The title and premise I approached her with was an investigation into how FOX news and the New York Times talked about Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in the 2016 primaries. I would take 6 pieces, one after each debate, one from either piece of media, so 3 pieces from each, 2 per debate. (I hope I explained that right) I would compare spoken and written language and question if gender had an influence on how they were portrayed. The premise isn't the easiest thing in the world, but I told her that I felt I could handle it as I am also studying politics and media, and intend to study a combination course at university, and I felt this could really help me.
She wasn't a huge fan, and I could see I was losing her in the meeting where we discussed it, so I came up with another proposal on the spot that was less ideal. I would take one of then - Hillary or Donald - and compare them to themselves. Look at how the same publication went from viewing Hillary as a model first lady to a potential president or viewing Donald as first a businessman and TV personality to a potential president.
She suggested ditching Donald and focusing on Hillary. Perhaps comparing her to another public figure who is very well known right now. I, jokingly, said "what, like Taylor Swift?" and my heart sank as she smiled and nodded.
I later approached her with a comparison of Hillary Clinton and Teresa May. She again didn't go for it. Then she brought up Taylor Swift again. She liked the chronological comparison and suggested I apply the comparison over time concept to a comparison of Taylor Swift and Hillary Clinton. I hated the idea but I needed her to not shut me down again so I told her I'd consider it. I said that maybe I could look at how, say, Rolling Stone magazine writes about Swift and the NY Times writes about Clinton and I could feel it becoming more and more disjointed as I spoke, as beyond being women who were predominant in their separate fields, and Swift being a Clinton supporter, they didn't have much in common.
The other night she emailed me saying she'd done some thinking about my coursework and thought that 2 people would be too much to consider, and thought I should stick to one person. I replied with three New York Times articles from the same journalist written in 1996, 2006 and 2016 which went from calling Hillary a housewife to independent to a strong candidate for president. I didn't hear back.
Last night she emailed round the class saying "here are the coursework titles I sent to the exam board" with a list of our names and titles. Mine was an analysis on how Rolling Stone magazine has talked about Taylor Swift over the last decade.
Is there any way to change it now the exam board have it and if not how screwed am I?
Moved to A-Levels
I'm not sure what exam board you're doing, but I did mine with AQA and no part of the coursework was sent off until March/April and to be honest, I think its the same with all of them. Coursework is all marked internally and all the exam board will ask for are the marks you got in it, which doesn't happen until after Christmas.
Reply 3
You should tell her you want to do the work you decided on, don't let her bully you just because she doesn't like the idea. I doubt you will have a problem, titles always come last anyway after the workbis done so it can properly reflect.
(edited 5 years ago)
I think you're making it hard on yourself. Your teacher wants you to pick a simple premise so that you can get a good mark.

Quick Reply

Latest