The Student Room Group

Calculator needed for higher maths GCSE?

I happen to already have two calculators: TI-83 premium CE and Casio fx-570MS. Are either of these what's needed for the GCSE higher maths calculator paper? If not, which model do I need?
Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Kinyonga
I happen to already have two calculators: TI-83 premium CE and Casio fx-570MS. Are either of these what's needed for the GCSE higher maths calculator paper? If not, which model do I need?

The TI-83 Premium is a graphics calculator and will not be allowed. Don't use that at GCSE.

The Casio fx-570MS is allowed, however you may find yourself at a disadvantage due to the not-natural input for fractions, indices, etc.

The most commonly used calculator, to my knowledge, is the Casio fx-85GT Plus. This can be bought in any stationery shop for under £12, and you can often buy it through your school for around the £7 mark.

Hope that helps :smile:

a basic Casio fx-83whatever is the one most people use but if you want to shell out £20 I’d seriously recommend the Casio classwiz, it has extra functions that basically do quadratics and graphs for you that can really save time and help you out, as long as you remember to show you know the working first.
Reply 4
I'd rather stick to something below the £15 mark if at all possible. What's the difference between the Casio fx-85 and fx-83?
I'd rather stick to something below the £15 mark if at all possible. What's the difference between the Casio fx-85 and fx-83?

fx-85 has backup solar power, where as the fx-83 only has a battery. I think that's the only difference. Functionally they're the same. Both of these calculators are under £15 :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by blootle456
fx-85 has backup solar power, where as the fx-83 only has a battery. I think that's the only difference. Functionally they're the same. Both of these calculators are under £15 :smile:

Brilliant, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Latest