The Student Room Group

Cie a level math p1 help

Can someone please tell me how to determine in which direction to put the inequality at ? I got the answer of K=6 and k=-6
I just don’t know how to put the inequality
Eg>-6 k>6 or etc I just don’t know how to put them ?
The attached image for the question is below , any help would be great . Thank you ..
Original post by Universecolors
Can someone please tell me how to determine in which direction to put the inequality at ? I got the answer of K=6 and k=-6
I just don’t know how to put the inequality
Eg>-6 k>6 or etc I just don’t know how to put them ?
The attached image for the question is below , any help would be great . Thank you ..

33671E07-DF8B-472F-AD4D-BA8A72439D58.jpg.jpeg

OK so you require that the discriminant follows k2360k^2 - 36 \leq 0.

So it's the inequality there kk is between -6 and 6.

If you're not sure why, then sketch the quadratic k236k^2 - 36 and look for which kk values it's equal to 0 or less. Clearly these are the k values between the roots of the equation.
Original post by RDKGames
OK so you require that the discriminant follows k2360k^2 - 36 \leq 0.

So it's the inequality there kk is between -6 and 6.

If you're not sure why, then sketch the quadratic k236k^2 - 36 and look for which kk values it's equal to 0 or less. Clearly these are the k values between the roots of the equation.

Why did you write k^2-36 <or equal to 0
Isn’t k^2-36 >or equal to 0 ? I don’t understand
Why did you write k^2-36 <or equal to 0
Isn’t k^2-36 >or equal to 0 ? I don’t understand

Look f(x)=x2+kx+9f(x) = x^2+kx+9 is a quadratic, and you want its range to be f(x)0f(x) \geq 0. This means the quadratic either touches the x-axis or is entirely above it, which is also equivalent to saying it either has equal roots or it has no roots. And that's equivalent to making the discriminant 0\leq 0.
Original post by RDKGames
Look f(x)=x2+kx+9f(x) = x^2+kx+9 is a quadratic, and you want its range to be f(x)0f(x) \geq 0. This means the quadratic either touches the x-axis or is entirely above it, also equivalent to saying it either has equal roots or it has no roots. And that's equivalent to making the discriminant 0\leq 0.

Alright I get now , thank youuu

Quick Reply

Latest