The Student Room Group

Should I get tested for STDs

I have no symptoms but I know a lot of them apparently don't show symptoms for up to 10 years? I've only slept with 1 guy and he hasn't been tested and his gf cheated on him so yeah. Idk where to go and how to do it. Is it possible to do it anonymously? Or is there no point because I have no symptoms
If you're worried get tested. If you're not sure, get tested. If you have a new partner, get tested.
Reply 2
If you're worried it's always worth getting checked.

You can get tested at any local sexual health or contraception clinics.
They are free, confidential and it doesn't have to go on your medical history.
Most have walk inside but you can also call up and make an appointment :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 8472
If you're worried get tested. If you're not sure, get tested. If you have a new partner, get tested.

Original post by Elektra06
If you're worried it's always worth getting checked.

You can get tested at any local sexual health or contraception clinics.
They are free, confidential and it doesn't have to go on your medical history.
Most have walk inside but you can also call up and make an appointment :smile:

I'm kind of wary of asking for medical help, the past few times I've gone to the GP they've pretty much shamed me for making an appointment and wasting their time because it turned out there was nothing wrong with me.
First time it was me checking my moles that looked different and she spent a good 10 minutes lecturing me on how I shouldn't see a gp unless it changes shape (mine had become risen which apparently wasn't a good enough reason to get it checked out).
The second time I was worried my hairline was receding which would be terrible at my age and he drilled me on exactly what I googled, what I read, what the exact website was, and just 'why oh why' I had decided that coming to the GP was a good idea. He literally used that phrase.
I know realistically I probably don't have STDs because I feel completely fine and my ex never had symptoms either, and I just want to check for a piece of mind. But every time I go to the GP with this mindset of 'just checking for a piece of mind' I get told off like a little kid.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm kind of wary of asking for medical help, the past few times I've gone to the GP they've pretty much shamed me for making an appointment and wasting their time because it turned out there was nothing wrong with me.
First time it was me checking my moles that looked different and she spent a good 10 minutes lecturing me on how I shouldn't see a gp unless it changes shape (mine had become risen which apparently wasn't a good enough reason to get it checked out).
The second time I was worried my hairline was receding which would be terrible at my age and he drilled me on exactly what I googled, what I read, what the exact website was, and just 'why oh why' I had decided that coming to the GP was a good idea. He literally used that phrase.
I know realistically I probably don't have STDs because I feel completely fine and my ex never had symptoms either, and I just want to check for a piece of mind. But every time I go to the GP with this mindset of 'just checking for a piece of mind' I get told off like a little kid.

Don't go to your GP. find a sexual health clinic and book an appointment to get tested. they deal with it all day everyday and would rather you get tested now than be referred in 6 months with some chronic infection or issue.
Reply 5
Yeah if you don't like your GP you can go to a sexual health clinic if you want to be tested, it's confidential and they won't judge or think you're being silly.

I always use them for my implant if I ever have issues or such because they're better than my GP x
Reply 6
I agree with the above, althought the clinics can be a bit difficult to make appointments at.
Reply 7
If you had sex with a condom, then the likelihood of having an STI is significantly lowered (but not 100% impossible)

You can get online test kits for free. freetest.me can tell you if there is a free STI testing service in your area (I think chlamydia tests are free for under 25s nationally?. Some need you to pee in a pot and send that off. Others ask you to put (essentially) a cotton bud inside the vagina and then put that in a sample pot and send that off. Results take like... 7 days? You can also buy treatment online (make sure to use a legal UK registered online doctor like e-Surgery.com - I saw an FB add saying 20% using the code newmember) if you do find out you have a positive test result. And obv. inform any other sexual contacts as they need to get treated

Good luck and hope that it's nothing to worry about!

Quick Reply

Latest