Why do I need so much sleep? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So as the title would suggest, I require a lot of sleep to function as well as other people do on much less. The recommended amount of sleep for someone of my age is ~7-8 hours. I *need* 12 hours at least. If I leave my alarm off over a long time, allowing my natural pattern to free-run, I seem to adopt a weird pattern of 24 hours awake, 20 asleep. As you could imagine, this is highly disruptive to a healthy routine.

I'm not bothered about it too much, but needing so much regular sleep takes up time I could be using to go out or study. That is a little annoying.

I am on sertraline too, could this be the culprit?
Nabopolassar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Could be some sort of vitamin deficiency. I used to sleep 10hrs before too but now I only need 8
astroworld
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I used to have iron deficiency so I'd be v tired and would sleep a lot
Get a blood test done at the GP?
apple32
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Part of the problem is also the pattern that you already have with sleeping 12 or more hours a day. Your body just got accustomed to that schedule. Our bodies have a biological clock. For the people who fall in the normal amount of sleep range, they fall asleep at night and wake in the morning when their alarms goes off. People go to school or go to work all day and at the end of the day become tired and our bodies need to recharge for the next day. Why don't you try to gradually decrease the number of hours you sleep until you get to 8. You could try waking up after 11 hours for this week. Then next week adjust to 10., etc. When you get to 8 hours of sleep, talk to your GP about getting you off of the meds. You could also try adding regular exercise a few times a week (it could just be a brisk walk or jog through the neighborhood). I hope this helps.
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So as the title would suggest, I require a lot of sleep to function as well as other people do on much less. The recommended amount of sleep for someone of my age is ~7-8 hours. I *need* 12 hours at least. If I leave my alarm off over a long time, allowing my natural pattern to free-run, I seem to adopt a weird pattern of 24 hours awake, 20 asleep. As you could imagine, this is highly disruptive to a healthy routine.

I'm not bothered about it too much, but needing so much regular sleep takes up time I could be using to go out or study. That is a little annoying.

I am on sertraline too, could this be the culprit?
Yeah, possibly. I need a lot more sleep than I used to, too, due to the meds I'm on. If your sleeping pattern was different before you started sertraline, which by the way is poison, then sertraline is definitely to blame here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (241)
14.83%
The paper was reasonable (907)
55.82%
Not feeling great about that exam... (357)
21.97%
It was TERRIBLE (120)
7.38%

Watched Threads