Someone filmed me practicing in my car.

Watch
TwentiesLife
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi. I am a new driver and have had my car just over a week. Very quickly I realised that I am god awful at parking. I live on a narrow terraced street where practically everyone has a car so parallel parking in ridiculously tight spaces is a daily challenge.. I still can't do it fully myself, I have to have someone outside the car guiding me because I am so anxious about scratching someone's car.. I haven't quite judged distance yet. However, I am getting better.

I have not quite mastered bay parking. I know the procedure but whenever I go into a car park I go straight for a line of empty spaces just so I don't have to park next to someone's car. It's more of a confidence thing than my competence because I can do it. However I am getting better at this too. Though I do find I always seem to be at an angle and always need to pull forward and adjust..

So today I had nothing to do so decided to get out and practice my driving. The roads are relatively quiet on a sunday and most supermarkets are closed. I drove to the nearest supermarket and thought I might as well practice my parking. The car park was really quiet, I decided to go into the far corner. Other drivers were only driving into the petrol station which was located on the other side of the car park so I wasn't getting in anyone's way. The supermarket was actually closed, and it's a superstore so the car park is hugeee. I practically had the whole car park to myself.

I practiced bay parking and then parallel parking against one of the curbs. I noticed a black skoda nearby driving round and it looked like it was a girl practicing with a guy sat next to her, she was circling the car park, reversing, bay parking etc. Me and the black skoda were there maybe 20 minutes, the skoda did drive towards my direction but never came too close that we were obstructing each other.

At points my partner was getting out and looking at my parking and giving me advice, using cones to help me judge distance etc (parallel parking) so I could get used to the length and width of my car... It was pretty obvious to everyone else that I was practicing.

As I drove out of the car park the skoda was parked up, the way out was kind of towards them and then I had to turn left in front of them and then round the edge of the car park. As I turned my partner told me to switch off the engine, I didn't know why at this point. And then the skoda drove off, and then he told me to set off again. He said as I turned in front of the skoda the guy in the passenger seat was clearly filming me as he had his phone up and turned the phone as I was leaving.

I don't really know why I have done this thread to be honest with you. I guess I just want reassurance? I think they were filming to laugh at me, because I had been practicing. But then the girl driver of the skoda was clearly learning aswell because of how she was driving in the car park and as she left the car park she mounted the curb when turning left. It doesn't really bother me, I know my parking is pretty bad but that's the whole reason I was there? So it seems pretty stupid to film me. And I know they filmed my reg plate and probably uploaded it to social media. I guess that's why I am so anxious about it.

I wanted to confront them but my partner told me not to, he seemed more annoyed by it than me. Did I do something wrong by practicing in the car park? Has anyone else been filmed while driving? How did you handle it?
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TwentiesLife)
Hi. I am a new driver and have had my car just over a week. Very quickly I realised that I am god awful at parking. I live on a narrow terraced street where practically everyone has a car so parallel parking in ridiculously tight spaces is a daily challenge.. I still can't do it fully myself, I have to have someone outside the car guiding me because I am so anxious about scratching someone's car.. I haven't quite judged distance yet. However, I am getting better.

I have not quite mastered bay parking. I know the procedure but whenever I go into a car park I go straight for a line of empty spaces just so I don't have to park next to someone's car. It's more of a confidence thing than my competence because I can do it. However I am getting better at this too. Though I do find I always seem to be at an angle and always need to pull forward and adjust..

So today I had nothing to do so decided to get out and practice my driving. The roads are relatively quiet on a sunday and most supermarkets are closed. I drove to the nearest supermarket and thought I might as well practice my parking. The car park was really quiet, I decided to go into the far corner. Other drivers were only driving into the petrol station which was located on the other side of the car park so I wasn't getting in anyone's way. The supermarket was actually closed, and it's a superstore so the car park is hugeee. I practically had the whole car park to myself.

I practiced bay parking and then parallel parking against one of the curbs. I noticed a black skoda nearby driving round and it looked like it was a girl practicing with a guy sat next to her, she was circling the car park, reversing, bay parking etc. Me and the black skoda were there maybe 20 minutes, the skoda did drive towards my direction but never came too close that we were obstructing each other.

At points my partner was getting out and looking at my parking and giving me advice, using cones to help me judge distance etc (parallel parking) so I could get used to the length and width of my car... It was pretty obvious to everyone else that I was practicing.

As I drove out of the car park the skoda was parked up, the way out was kind of towards them and then I had to turn left in front of them and then round the edge of the car park. As I turned my partner told me to switch off the engine, I didn't know why at this point. And then the skoda drove off, and then he told me to set off again. He said as I turned in front of the skoda the guy in the passenger seat was clearly filming me as he had his phone up and turned the phone as I was leaving.

I don't really know why I have done this thread to be honest with you. I guess I just want reassurance? I think they were filming to laugh at me, because I had been practicing. But then the girl driver of the skoda was clearly learning aswell because of how she was driving in the car park and as she left the car park she mounted the curb when turning left. It doesn't really bother me, I know my parking is pretty bad but that's the whole reason I was there? So it seems pretty stupid to film me. And I know they filmed my reg plate and probably uploaded it to social media. I guess that's why I am so anxious about it.

I wanted to confront them but my partner told me not to, he seemed more annoyed by it than me. Did I do something wrong by practicing in the car park? Has anyone else been filmed while driving? How did you handle it?
Wouldn't give a toss about it if it were me in your position. In fact if I saw them filming me, I'd give them a wave and a smile.

You're learning to drive, even if they put it on social media, everyone would understand and they'd look like more of a ****.
Maryelizabeth21
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What a horrible person filming you. I’m in the same boat, I’ve recently passed and am not very good at parking so have been trying to practice.

At least you’re going out when it’s quiet to practice rather than deciding to just turn up somewhere at a really busy time and try to park.

It’s hard getting used to a different car!
cbaforcba
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Should've parked up next to them and just make it seem like you were losing control of the car as you got closer to them
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Wouldn't give a toss about it if it were me in your position. In fact if I saw them filming me, I'd give them a wave and a smile.

You're learning to drive, even if they put it on social media, everyone would understand and they'd look like more of a ****.
Exactly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.36%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.73%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.44%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.73%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (71)
27.52%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.22%

Watched Threads