Games too expensive

Watch
Outtasight!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I was looking into buying AC Odyssey and it was £50 for the standard edition...wtf...and it was £84 for the gold edition.

Why are these games so expensive?
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's a new game, that's how expensive they are. FIFA 19 is about £60, but that's just how it is for new games.

Give it a year or two and it'll be half that.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's fairly standard pricing for AAA games these days.

Wait a few months you'll be able to purchase for much cheaper. Games drop in price fairly fast on PS4, Xbox One, and PC. Nintendo however does not.
Kaffee_1998
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Triple A games are getting more expensive to produce hence the reason why prices are high for new games
Nabopolassar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
New games used to be 40 back in the day, ever since brexit it's gone to 50
Outtasight!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yeah the price just took me by shock
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Now adjust for inflation and it isn't actually that bad compared to the past and certainly in the PC space it's easier than every to get games cheap, that £50 is in line with new AAA game prices a decade ago, meanwhile games are getting more and more expensive to make, some games have higher budgets than big films, although this is mostly covered by high volumes, for isntance GTA V is believed to have had a $250m budget (including marketing) but had nearly 100m sales and revenues in excess of $6bn because of the high volumes (making it the most profitable exntertainment product ever, although it's still nothing on some film franchises, even before including merchandise)
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Games are cheaper than they've ever been.

Not just in RRP, but by the fact that digital games on PC get ridiculous discounts on sales and physical console games you can sell when you're done now that we have the internet.
Guru Jason
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can get Stardew Valley for like £13 on almost any console. It's the only game you'll ever need.
username2393237
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kaffee_1998)
Triple A games are getting more expensive to produce hence the reason why prices are high for new games
Ι don't know how much they take to produce, but it's probably a fraction of the price. Games were still expensive in the early/mid 90s. They're so expensive because companies can charge whatever they want and they know people will buy anyway.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Buy a PC then, AC was around £40 on green man gaming, DQ XI was £30.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Ι don't know how much they take to produce, but it's probably a fraction of the price. Games were still expensive in the early/mid 90s. They're so expensive because companies can charge whatever they want and they know people will buy anyway.
No, development prices are way higher relative to the 1990's.
Kaffee_1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well they gotta make a profit so..
quasa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Outtasight!)
I was looking into buying AC Odyssey and it was £50 for the standard edition...wtf...and it was £84 for the gold edition.

yay, someone else has noticed this as well about new games . for the last 2 years, I get new games but try and complete it within 2 weeks before returning. Why 2 weeks: cancellation period in UK is legally 14 days to receive a full refund but a lot of retailers do this at 30 days. in 2016, I managed to get 3 games in a row whilst aying for 1 (&p&p for the other 2). This year, I already purchased and returned the new spidey game (which is surprisingly easy to get a platinum trophy) and am cntemplating getting rdr2. Generally speaking, the games which I enjoyed and wish to get again, I tend to get them again when there are sales and these games tend to be for ~£17 for sports games and £20-28 for others, although certain games you will get for far less.
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Outtasight!)

The game is brandnew and it is absolutely normal that it is expensive when relased. If you want to buy it, I recommend to wait some years and acquire it then.

By the way, you have forgotten an 'n' in the word 'expensive' of your title. Corrected it for you! My pleasure!
Trillo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wait 1 year for the inevitable GOTY/complete/[marketing buzzword] edition and buy it with all DLC for half the price
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is that why the price has barely increased in decades?
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you've got the time to finish games quickly then you could try renting instead.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

IIRC in the early/mid 90's new AA games coming out on the sega mega drive/snes retailed for around £39.99

considering it's like 25 years later new games are retailing for like £49.99 -54.99 ..and we are getting MUCH longer games [games back then could often be completed in under an hour] ...I think we're getting a decent deal on games.

back in the day you'd spend like £40 on a game. Play it for an hour. Complete it ....and that was it. The bulk of your milage from the game would be spent completing it again and again.

Games are so long these days that most people complete the thing just once or twice ...before completely moving on.

These days we are getting much much more gameplay for arguably no increase in price [if you take into account inflation]

OP should stop complaining imo.
natratalanatra
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
cos recently games are like movies, AAA games all have directors, writers, composers besides coders and gfx guys and it takes years to complete. The games are shorter cos the content cost higher, cos games nowadays all have ultra high-quality graphic, compare with the 90's ones
for the title I love I buy them when they are at high price cos I know that's the way to keep the series on
if all gamers wait there'll be more studios with cool titles down, like Telltale Games (shut down last month), that's sad
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.31%
I'm not sure (33)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.75%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.45%
I'm not a current university student (381)
49.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed