The Student Room Group

medicine application- what should I do

So I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in year 13 and I'm still not completely sure although I'm on a gap year now and applying for 2019 entry. No course seems perfect for me but I am definitely more interested in medicine as a course, just the lifestyle when you are a doctor is huge commitment. I did the UKCAT but due to not being sure if I was going to uni this year or not, overthinking things, and a family member passing away I didn't revise hard enough and got 2340, band 2. I seem to always try and ruin my life and leave everything too late. Now I wish I had applied for BMAT a couple of weeks ago and cancelled if UKCAT was good enough. Now I will have to do BMAT this month and pay the higher price whilst also writing my personal statement and starting a new job. If I had known UKCAT was not going to go well I wouldn't have applied for jobs yet, and would have waited until november when uni stuff is all out of the way. Do I give up on applying for medicine and rule it out, and just apply for any degree and hope I like it. Or do I just apply for all UKCAT unis and see how it goes (obviously I will only bother with Cardiff, any others? which don't weigh UKCAT as heavily). Or should I pay the extra money and hope BMAT goes ok??? Really not sure what to do. I seem to always try to ruin my life by overthinking things and then leaving decisions extremely last minute.
Reply 1
Anyone?
hey its ok mate, I tend to leave thing too late and now starting on my personal statement, same here as well did not enough prep for ukcat, but got other commitments like you so Im not doing the bmat and go for ukcat less focused unis. depends on your grades too
if you think you have time to revise well for BMAT then go for it
Reply 4
Original post by Jaden _L
hey its ok mate, I tend to leave thing too late and now starting on my personal statement, same here as well did not enough prep for ukcat, but got other commitments like you so Im not doing the bmat and go for ukcat less focused unis. depends on your grades too

Thanks for your help. Good luck with your application. Maybe I should just forget medicine and take time to apply for something less competitive and rushed for January.
Go for medicine
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone?

Hi, you could always consider applying to other EU countries, Ireland is almost as good as Uk with very similar teaching styles, and the deadline is january to apply. Plus flights between ireland and UK arent so expensive. Theres also netherlands, Italy, bulgaria, czech republic.
Also you have maybe 3 weeks to study for the BMAT that should be enough anyway. Theres some overlaps with UKCAT
Sorry to hear about your circumstances, it sounds like you have been through a lot. You need to buckle down now and make sure that you have a good future ahead of you.

If medicine is what you want to do, then apply! Send off an application to the unis where there is less UKCAT demands and see what happens. If you get interviews, great! If you get a rejection, it's NOT the end of the world. You can always apply again when you are in a much better position in your life. I'm 23 now and I am only just applying for the undergraduate courses. I've dealt with a lot over the last few years but I feel like now is a good time for me to get into medicine. If you don't feel ready for it now, work on yourself and then give it a shot when you feel better prepared.

I wish you all the best and if you ever wanna PM me about anything feel free to!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Samanthaplague
Go for medicine

Thanks. Can I ask why you think this?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks. Can I ask why you think this?

You’re score although below average isn’t terrible and would be fine for some places like Plymouth and Keele, also if you have been on a gap year, it will show unis that you have matured more as a person and have gained more skills than a school leaving applicant. The fact that you are still leaning towards medicine clearly shows that you want to do it and that you are committed. Doing the BMAT May be a good idea (if you think you’ll be able to revise in time) but honestly if you think it’s not worth the money then don’t waste your time. Here are some options for you;
Plymouth
Keele
Some of the newer medical schools like Sunderland and Aston
Cardiff (is your GCSEs are good)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
Sorry to hear about your circumstances, it sounds like you have been through a lot. You need to buckle down now and make sure that you have a good future ahead of you.

If medicine is what you want to do, then apply! Send off an application to the unis where there is less UKCAT demands and see what happens. If you get interviews, great! If you get a rejection, it's NOT the end of the world. You can always apply again when you are in a much better position in your life. I'm 23 now and I am only just applying for the undergraduate courses. I've dealt with a lot over the last few years but I feel like now is a good time for me to get into medicine. If you don't feel ready for it now, work on yourself and then give it a shot when you feel better prepared.

I wish you all the best and if you ever wanna PM me about anything feel free to!

Thanks for your kind words and advice. And best of luck with your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending