The Student Room Group

Is it illegal to keep at 16 year old homeless child at your house?

My friend got kicked out and needs a home, he is reluctant to call social services and get the lot involved so he asked me if he coull live with me ( 16 aswell ) in my family home .
I know for a fact my mom will say no cuz she don’t want to be part of any drama or illegal stuff but what should I do ? I really want him to come so he feels safe .

Scroll to see replies

Before everything, ask your friend about his matter first. You should know what is truly happening that got him to be kicked out of his house.
Original post by Anonymous
My friend got kicked out and needs a home, he is reluctant to call social services and get the lot involved so he asked me if he coull live with me ( 16 aswell ) in my family home .
I know for a fact my mom will say no cuz she don’t want to be part of any drama or illegal stuff but what should I do ? I really want him to come so he feels safe .

I should think she would say no. I would too. Why should you expect her to be responsible for someone else’s child because someone will have to take responsibility for him If he isn’t living at home.
It’s not your house, so not your decision.

hey, i sofa surfed as a minor all the time and never thought about the legality of it actually. But I never got in trouble, though I was escaping from the care home and had a criminal record. It's quite common to bunk at a mate's house as a youth. It prob is technically illegal but I mean as long as your mate isnt in trouble with the law and the legal guardian on your mate (parent) is aware of where they're staying and he keeps quiet about his situation at school so they dont call social services.

I know he will be anxious if you call social services, but I think telling someone responsible about him will be best. I’m sorry for what he’s going through.
Its really up to what your mum thinks, but its not your responsibility. You would honestly be alot better of a mate to this person you mention by convincing them to take it to social services than providing a shelter yourself. Thats why social services own childrens homes and relationships with foster homes. Talk to your mum about it or get your mate to speak to the school they attend about it. Schools can refer the person in question to the right person mate. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Cookie Reaper
Before everything, ask your friend about his matter first. You should know what is truly happening that got him to be kicked out of his house.

ik Their parent is crazy , I’ve seen them before. They had some troubles with the police and social workers . After a dispute the mom kicked him out.
Reply 8
Original post by Seamus123
I should think she would say no. I would too. Why should you expect her to be responsible for someone else’s child because someone will have to take responsibility for him If he isn’t living at home.

I get your reasoning but there’s this guilt of ignoring the “needy” . He is a deary friend , my mother and father never met them nor they met his family so that’s one reason I guess she would say no.
I am quite distressed on what to do .
Reply 9
Original post by Bang Outta Order
hey, i sofa surfed as a minor all the time and never thought about the legality of it actually. But I never got in trouble, though I was escaping from the care home and had a criminal record. It's quite common to bunk at a mate's house as a youth. It prob is technically illegal but I mean as long as your mate isnt in trouble with the law and the legal guardian on your mate (parent) is aware of where they're staying and he keeps quiet about his situation at school so they dont call social services.

If he stayed at mine the parents would never know since They do not know we are friends
ik Their parent is crazy , I’ve seen them before. They had some troubles with the police and social workers . After a dispute the mom kicked him out.

In my opinion, I think you guys should let his mom calm down a bit for a day or two or something. I don't know—maybe ask your friend to talk to his mom afterward without being aggressive and be understanding?
If he stayed at mine the parents would never know since They do not know we are friends

I mean the reality is that once you're kicked out the parent doesn't care where you go next. So it is an understandable thing for his parents to not know where he's going next and therefore your parents can rest knowing that. In all honesty, I dont think it's illegal. It's only illegal if your mate has an open crime because it will seem like he's in hiding at your parents house. It's also illegal if he doesnt go to school. Make sure he goes to school if he stays with you because the school will then send social around. Then you'll all get hell.

Even if the police do find him (they'd have no reason to look unless his mother said he was missing and the police prob still wont look). And since homeless youth are "priorities" for homeless shelters, they might even think you're doing council a favour lol. Seriously Ive been thru it before.
Original post by Cookie Reaper
In my opinion, I think you guys should let his mom calm down a bit for a day or two or something. I don't know—maybe ask your friend to talk to his mom afterward without being aggressive and be understanding?

He got kicked out 2 weeks ago , he is staying at my friends but they can’t keep him cuz of the scary land Lord or something .
I get your reasoning but there’s this guilt of ignoring the “needy” . He is a deary friend , my mother and father never met them nor they met his family so that’s one reason I guess she would say no.
I am quite distressed on what to do .

Not wanting to ignore the needy is all very laudable, but it’s your mother’s house, and as you’already said, she would say no. The best way to help him is to persuade him to go to SS if he feels he is at risk at home, but I think it’s naive and selfish of you to expect your mother to take him in. While I don’t wish to be harsh, I don’t think you have thought this through properly.
I think he needs to get social services if there's a genuine reason he can't live at home. He can get the right kind of help and support if he goes about things in the right way.

It isn't fair on your mum to even ask her to take him in to be honest. Another mouth to feed puts a lot of pressure on a household, and it's difficult enough to look after your own kids, never mind anyone else's.
Not wanting to ignore the needy is all very laudable, but it’s your mother’s house, and as you’already said, she would say no. The best way to help him is to persuade him to go to SS if he feels he is at risk at home, but I think it’s naive and selfish of you to expect your mother to take him in. While I don’t wish to be harsh, I don’t think you have thought this through properly.

True but he has been with SS before and said he hates it since he has to go to shared accommodation with druggies , smokers and steal” and doesn’t feel safe ,private accommodation is practically impossible on the town we live in.
Im probs going to have to say no , again because of what you said plus my mom would not appreciate it all if she had to deal with him on top of taking care of my siblings , me while working night shifts at the hospital .
Thank you. TBH I don’t know why I’m so stressed

?? so it was naive and selfish for people to take me off the street when I was a child? :lol: ok
Original post by ShanePotticary14
Its really up to what your mum thinks, but its not your responsibility. You would honestly be alot better of a mate to this person you mention by convincing them to take it to social services than providing a shelter yourself. Thats why social services own childrens homes and relationships with foster homes. Talk to your mum about it or get your mate to speak to the school they attend about it. Schools can refer the person in question to the right person mate. Hope this helps :smile:

I mentioned social services to him like a million times , giving him numbers and emails and tell him to constancy his social care worker but he said he can’t bear to stay in shared accommodation , he hates it so then what?
OP ask your mum and see what she says. If she says yes, no worries let him stay the night or two! It's no different than a ****ing sleepover. Just tell him to keep his mouth shut and go to school. If people say "let his mum calm down over the night" then you definitely don't want SS around to make matters bigger than what they are when all she needed was a night to cool off? Let him stay the night. No one's saying pay for his uni costs.
I mentioned social services to him like a million times , giving him numbers and emails and tell him to constancy his social care worker but he said he can’t bear to stay in shared accommodation , he hates it so then what?

Is there someone at the school that he attends to that he trusts to talk to? Are there pastrol managers or head of years that he is willing to talk to about it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending