Econappl2019
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hey all

Just wondering whether applying to both degree options at LSE harms my chances for either one (I'd be happy to study either finance or econ tbh)

My PS just talks about econ with little or no finance mentioned as my other options are Oxf, UCL and Warwick all for pure Economics (Oxford e&m as they don't do pure econ) but I was hoping my grades might just give me the edge and consideration for the finance course anyway?

For context my grades: GCSE 10a*, AS Level 5a 1b, A2 Level a* Maths a* f maths a* econ A physics. Also did an EPQ based on behavioural economics/finance and got an a*. All my grades are achieved already rather than predicted as im now on a gap year.

Cheers
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Econappl2019)
Hey all

Just wondering whether applying to both degree options at LSE harms my chances for either one (I'd be happy to study either finance or econ tbh)

My PS just talks about econ with little or no finance mentioned as my other options are Oxf, UCL and Warwick all for pure Economics (Oxford e&m as they don't do pure econ) but I was hoping my grades might just give me the edge and consideration for the finance course anyway?

For context my grades: GCSE 10a*, AS Level 5a 1b, A2 Level a* Maths a* f maths a* econ A physics. Also did an EPQ based on behavioural economics/finance and got an a*. All my grades are achieved already rather than predicted as im now on a gap year.

Cheers
How it works is this:

LSE never give more than one offer to an undergraduate applicant. So if you apply for two courses, they look at your application, decide which course your personal statement/subject combination is most suited to, and instantly reject you for the other one. They will only consider your application for one course.

Given that your personal statement only mentions Economics, it is pretty likely that they will instantly reject you for Finance, and only your Econ application will proceed.

Therefore, it's a complete waste of a choice on UCAS in my opinion. In your situation, I would only apply to LSE for Econ.
Econappl2019
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by LeapingLucy)
How it works is this:

LSE never give more than one offer to an undergraduate applicant. So if you apply for two courses, they look at your application, decide which course your personal statement/subject combination is most suited to, and instantly reject you for the other one. They will only consider your application for one course.

Given that your personal statement only mentions Economics, it is pretty likely that they will instantly reject you for Finance, and only your Econ application will proceed.

Therefore, it's a complete waste of a choice on UCAS in my opinion. In your situation, I would only apply to LSE for Econ.
The issue with LSE finance however is that it is the only top UK uni (and perhaps the only UK uni, but I'm not 100% about this) that offers a pure finance degree. It is, essentially, most of the base lse bsc econonics course but then with the finance options already chosen. Thus the course is a lot closer to econ degrees rather than accounting+finance degrees that other unis and lse offer. Meaning, I'm sure there are quite a few other economics applicants like me in this same position.

Surely undergraduate admissions are aware of this and will therefore view personal statements accordingly? (similar to oxford E&m tutors realising most applicants will have no management in their PS as they'll be applying to pure economics elsewhere)

In any case, if I keep lse finance on and they instantly reject me for an econonics personal statement, the crucial thing I want to know is will it hurt my chances of getting the Economics offer? As lse or Oxford is where I want to end up this year.
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Econappl2019)
The issue with LSE finance however is that it is the only top UK uni (and perhaps the only UK uni, but I'm not 100% about this) that offers a pure finance degree. It is, essentially, most of the base lse bsc econonics course but then with the finance options already chosen. Thus the course is a lot closer to econ degrees rather than accounting+finance degrees that other unis and lse offer. Meaning, I'm sure there are quite a few other economics applicants like me in this same position.

Surely undergraduate admissions are aware of this and will therefore view personal statements accordingly? (similar to oxford E&m tutors realising most applicants will have no management in their PS as they'll be applying to pure economics elsewhere)

In any case, if I keep lse finance on and they instantly reject me for an econonics personal statement, the crucial thing I want to know is will it hurt my chances of getting the Economics offer? As lse or Oxford is where I want to end up this year.
It comes down to this: they will instantly reject you for one of the courses and will only consider your application for one course.

And if you apply with just an economics personal statement, that doesn't mention finance, they're not realistically going to consider you for the finance course. Plus, finance is actually harder to get an offer from than Econ (14% vs 20%) so it's not like finance is some not very competitive back up course.

It's not going to harm your Economics chances, it just means that you're throwing one of your UCAS choices down the drain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
5.93%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (77)
57.04%
No (50)
37.04%

Watched Threads