Its-a-sine
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago

Welcome! Year 13 has begun, and the pressure is already on...:pika:

I have chosen to create this grow your grades in order to dedicate more time to revision, as I have been slacking off recently (and to get used to using TSR, as I rarely use it). Nintendo has been a greater priority than my studies and so I hope by sharing my A-level journey it will encourage me to better myself at the subjects I have chosen.

My A-levels: Maths (Edexcel), Further Maths (Edexcel), Chemistry (OCR A)
My goal in life: I am quite indecisive about this at the moment, but I hope to pursue a career in either mathematics or computer science. I have chosen to aim for the grades A*AA as I am unsure of what course to select, and so aiming for what I believe is attainable for me appears to be the best option. Though achieving grades like AAA or AAB would also please me.

Daily updates of my progress shall be made!

GCSEs
Spoiler:
Show

GCSEs:

Maths: 8
English Language: 8
English Literature: 8
Chemistry: A
Physics: A
Biology: A
History: A*
Computing: A*
Religious Studies: A
BTEC Business Level 2: D*
ECDL: D*

A-level Predictions
Spoiler:
Show

A-level Predictions:

UCAS/School Predictions:
Maths:
Further Maths:
Chemsitry:

My Predictions:
Maths: A
Further Maths: B
Chemistry: B
I can't be too optimistic

I would include AS, but my school did no official AS exams and instead did end of year exams which went terribly :cry:so I'll miss those out.

Year 13 Mock/Test Scores
Spoiler:
Show

Year 13 Mock/Test Scores:

Tags
Spoiler:
Show
sadforsadboys
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
Well hello there! If you do want to have a careers in maths, do you know exactly what path you'd go down? Tag me please!
Its-a-sine
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilynxlan)
Well hello there! If you do want to have a careers in maths, do you know exactly what path you'd go down? Tag me please!
Hello to you too! :hello:
In terms of path, I'd most likely go down a teaching career path. The aspect of teaching maths to others sounds quite appealing, as I would like to allow others to appreciate and enjoy maths by providing them with teaching which would lead to them experiencing the joys of maths. It would also allow me to speak about maths quite often, which would be a pleasure to do :yeah:. I would want to teach a-level maths the most, because that would be the most enjoyable, as the majority of students who select the subject have a strong passion for it and working with them would be fantastic; I believe that this would be my dream job. If you need any more detail or if I didn't answer your question correctly, please feel free to tell me!
However I have many other plans if that does not work out. I'm not sure whether I would enjoy teaching in a school setting.
And I'll tag you!
sadforsadboys
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Its-a-sine)
Hello to you too! :hello:
In terms of path, I'd most likely go down a teaching career path. The aspect of teaching maths to others sounds quite appealing, as I would like to allow others to appreciate and enjoy maths by providing them with teaching which would lead to them experiencing the joys of maths. It would also allow me to speak about maths quite often, which would be a pleasure to do :yeah:. I would want to teach a-level maths the most, because that would be the most enjoyable, as the majority of students who select the subject have a strong passion for it and working with them would be fantastic; I believe that this would be my dream job. If you need any more detail or if I didn't answer your question correctly, please feel free to tell me!
However I have many other plans if that does not work out. I'm not sure whether I would enjoy teaching in a school setting.
And I'll tag you!
I, someone who can't do maths for s##t, was offered the advice that you should do your maths degree first, then do a degree in teaching. A Level Maths is a really good subject to do, especially if you're something like a maths wizz.
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you need help with a-level chemistry send me a PM or quote me here. I'd be happy to assist with you getting an A.
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Best of luck with Year 13! :rave:
I hope you find what you want to do :yes:
EDIT: can you add me to your tag list please? ty in advance!
Its-a-sine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dylann)
If you need help with a-level chemistry send me a PM or quote me here. I'd be happy to assist with you getting an A.
Thank you for the offer! I’ll remember to do so if needed.
(Original post by nyxnko_)
Best of luck with Year 13! :rave:
I hope you find what you want to do :yes:
EDIT: can you add me to your tag list please? ty in advance!
Good luck to you too! :top:
And thank you, I hope so as well.
And I shall gladly do so.
Its-a-sine
Rep:
?
01/10/18 - Productivity for today
Homework
Further Maths - Integration Homework []
Chemistry Homework [✔]
Pure Maths - Series Homework [✔]
Decision Maths Homework - Simplex Method Practice []
Pure Maths - Radians []

Further Maths
I had core pure and decision lessons today (the only two hours of school I had). In decision it was learning about the simplex method, and core pure involved the method of differences.
I have had a quick look at higher derivatives, and some practice of the method of differences shall occur in an hour or so. I'll probably look at Maclaurin series tomorrow (as my class has not begun that section yet).
I should also practice more decision maths. I may do a past paper from the old specification, or look at some textbook questions. I'm hoping to get a higher score in the next practice test I do. :rofl:
I'll probably focus on further mechanics another time, as I'm still deciding on what topics I should focus on.

Maths
I have not actually done anything associated with maths today apart from some series homework. I will probably consolidate my knowledge of what I have learned so far in the second year of pure maths, as I read ahead of my class during the summer holidays. Though I believe my knowledge of chapter 8 and 10 is quite rusty, so I'll most likely be doing parametric equations and numerical methods revision tomorrow.

Chemistry
I have organised my year 1 flashcards and will be going through them again to recap some content. I'll need to start creating some revision resources for year 2 soon, though I did find some handy checklists on Tes for the 2015 specification to use a few days ago. Useful checklists for OCR A :woo:

Review of today
My productivity today has not been as great as I had planned (due to some unforseen circumstances). Tomorrow I am planning to complete the homework that has not been checked off and to decrease the time I spend procastinating, as YouTube proved to be a terrible distraction today, despite having watched a couple of maths videos and a chemistry video. I should also prepare for the chemistry lessons I have tomorrow, by recapping content from the previous lessons.
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Its-a-sine)

Good luck to you too! :top:
And thank you, I hope so as well.
And I shall gladly do so.
Thank you! :hugs:
chloesky2018
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dylann)
how would you get an A in chem?
Dylann
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chloesky2018)
how would you get an A in chem?
Stay on top of the course, it's really not that hard if you go away and read a few pages of the textbook before a lesson, it will make what the teacher is saying way more easier to understand. It's quite conceptual based so the earlier you understand the concepts the easier it will be for you when you come back in April for revision because you will be able to pick back up the concepts quicker
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads