Waiters to be paid all tips under new law Watch

Spirithorse
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Restaurants will be legally barred from keeping tips from staff under plans to be announced on Monday.

High street chains including Prezzo, Strada and Zizzi will be forced to pass on all service charges to workers.

The move follows a public outcry over the practice by some restaurants of skimming off a share of tips.

Read more about this here

Have you ever worked as a waiter/waitress? What was your experience? Did you always get all of your tips?
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think this is good, however all staff should share the tips, not just waiting staff. There are kitchen staff like dish washers who earn very very little and I think tips should be split between all staff at that level.
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
Restaurants will be legally barred from keeping tips from staff under plans to be announced on Monday.

High street chains including Prezzo, Strada and Zizzi will be forced to pass on all service charges to workers.

The move follows a public outcry over the practice by some restaurants of skimming off a share of tips.

Read more about this here

Have you ever worked as a waiter/waitress? What was your experience? Did you always get all of your tips?
I always tip in cash and I will deduct service charges from a bill I am paying by card to give the money in cash.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
I think this is good, however all staff should share the tips, not just waiting staff. There are kitchen staff like dish washers who earn very very little and I think tips should be split between all staff at that level.
Why? The idea is you’re paying a tip because you had excellent service, not because you had a clean plate
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Underscore__)
Why? The idea is you’re paying a tip because you had excellent service, not because you had a clean plate
"Service" just means helping someone or doing something for someone. Do you not think that having clean plates and cutlery is a big part of the dining experience, then? The only reason waiting staff get hold of the tip is because it's only that part of the service that's seen, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Would you be tipping if everything you used was dirty? In a restaurant, the whole team work together to provide the service, and to be honest, most of the time people tip because they've enjoyed the food - which was made by the chef! If you had a disappointing meal, and had to send it back, but it was brought to you with a smile, you wouldn't tip.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
"Service" just means helping someone or doing something for someone. Do you not think that having clean plates and cutlery is a big part of the dining experience, then? The only reason waiting staff get hold of the tip is because it's only that part of the service that's seen, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Would you be tipping if everything you used was dirty? In a restaurant, the whole team work together to provide the service, and to be honest, most of the time people tip because they've enjoyed the food - which was made by the chef! If you had a disappointing meal, and had to send it back, but it was brought to you with a smile, you wouldn't tip.
A clean plate and cutlery is what I expect, a tip or service charge is for service that goes above and beyond your expectations. I could still tip if the food wasn’t great or the plate wasn’t clean if the waiting staff had gone above and beyond to rectify the situation. As for the chefs; I’ve left restaurants without tipping despite the food being great.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This is a perfectly reasonable law, business' shouldn't be stealing tips from their employees.

However, let's have a look at this from a political perspective.

Labour came out last week and proposed very significant changes to the British economic model, widespread nationalisation, an attempt to increase democratic representation in the work place ett etc...

The Tories have given tip billing to this????

It's a bit pathetic really.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Tipping is a moronic idea and should not be encouraged
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A clean plate and cutlery is what I expect, a tip or service charge is for service that goes above and beyond your expectations. I could still tip if the food wasn’t great or the plate wasn’t clean if the waiting staff had gone above and beyond to rectify the situation. As for the chefs; I’ve left restaurants without tipping despite the food being great.
Okay then, so I would say that the majority of waiting staff don't deserve a tip then, under that criteria. I would expect my order to be taken quickly, politely and with a smile, and I would expect to be treated well. To go "above and beyond", I'm not sure what that means, but it would have to be something pretty special. If that were the case, and everyone stuck to that, tips would go down a hell of a lot.

I think most people who tip do so because they're in the habit rather than because it's been exceptional. Okay, so you're not like that - but the majority are.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Okay then, so I would say that the majority of waiting staff don't deserve a tip then, under that criteria. I would expect my order to be taken quickly, politely and with a smile, and I would expect to be treated well. To go "above and beyond", I'm not sure what that means, but it would have to be something pretty special. If that were the case, and everyone stuck to that, tips would go down a hell of a lot.

I think most people who tip do so because they're in the habit rather than because it's been exceptional. Okay, so you're not like that - but the majority are.
I think most people tip because it’s expected of them, we have this backward norm whereby patrons make up for the poor wages offered to staff by their employer. But the idea behind tipping is supposed to be that you tip for exceptional service, you feel the waiting staff have gone beyond what’s expected of them so you’re paying them more to reflect that.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think most people tip because it’s expected of them, we have this backward norm whereby patrons make up for the poor wages offered to staff by their employer. But the idea behind tipping is supposed to be that you tip for exceptional service, you feel the waiting staff have gone beyond what’s expected of them so you’re paying them more to reflect that.
Well if that's the case, service staff need to stop looking at you like something they've walked in when you accept the change they bring you after you've paid the bill.
Underscore__
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Well if that's the case, service staff need to stop looking at you like something they've walked in when you accept the change they bring you after you've paid the bill.
I agree, they should. That’s why I said it’s a backward norm that patrons make up for low salaries
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

PRSOM

I'd hate us to end up like America, where you get interrogated if you leave anything less than 20%. It just makes a mockery of a tip being 'discretionary'. Hell, I've been to restaurants in the US where 35% is considered 'normal' - and that's just your standard service: nothing fancy or 'above and beyond'.
DrMikeHuntHertz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Waiters should be paid what ever their contract says, not a penny more.
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm guilty of tipping, but I do think it's a stupid system that needs to stop. A waiter/ress should be capable, friendly, well presented, polite etc, and if they aren't then the restaurant needs to pay them more so they're happy in their job and take pride in representing the establishment. It's kind of like begging, because if their wage isn't included in the bill and they're just hovering around the restaurant to carry plates around for a few quid, I'd quite happily go to the kitchen, give my order direct to the chef and take it to my table for free. McDonald's have had that system for ages and it works really well. Heck, they've even moved onto having waiters/tresses carrying your food to your table at no additional cost, no tip expected.

Having said that, if I do choose to leave more than the prices on the menu, I do it expecting it all to go to the waiter/tress. If that is the expectation of the population at large, and some devious companies take advantage of that, then I am very happy for them to be stopped. A card processing fee is around 1% so 10% is absolutely ridiculous.
TimmonaPortella
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Good. I hate the idea of the company taking a cut when I've left something for the service staff. Clearly diners aren't intending to send something the shareholders' way.
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Spirithorse)
The move follows a public outcry over the practice by some restaurants of skimming off a share of tips
i must have been out the day that public outcry took place, I thought instead that this move followed a frantic search by the Tories for some big announcements at the conference.

Since we're at it, though, we need to see the detail because they may well just have picked it out of a hat.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The whole tipping system is pretty ridiculous these days.

That said, I would like to ensure that my money went directly to staff. However, equally, I don't necessarily want it pooled. If I tip more, it's usually because a particular member of staff has gone above and beyond expectations - in which case, they should be the one benefiting.
simon_g
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
it's the cook that makes a meal, waiter just brings it to the customer.

not to mention that the whole "tipping culture" is an utter crap: they are getting paid hourly to do their job. do you tip people in mcdonalds?
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Absolutely ridiculous that companies think they deserve a share of the tips. All tips should be going to the people who actually provide the service and do the hard work, not the owners or the managers. I've worked as a waitress before and we used to have functions where say, £50, would be given as tips from all the guests put together. It would be shared amongst everyone who worked that evening - waiting staff, chef and potwash. On quieter day/nights where only the bar was open, tips would be split between the chef and whoever was working on the bar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (206)
22.08%
The paper was reasonable (398)
42.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (178)
19.08%
It was TERRIBLE (151)
16.18%

Watched Threads