The Student Room Group

PGCE in a Private School?

Okay, bear with me on this one, I thought I'd start a new thread as it could help anyone else in a similar situation too.

I'm currently working in a top private school as a Sports Grad teaching PE and Games (started this September) and I really want to take a PGCE in a private school. I worked as a Sports Grad last year (first time working full time in a school) in another school and absolutely loved it. (Both one year contracts). The reason I didn't apply for a PGCE last year was for varying reasons, one of them deciding too late what I wanted to do (I called around in March but there was no Secondary PE places anywhere that suited me) and wanting experience in another school, but now I'm so sure of wanting to do teacher training.

My question is how would I go about this? I've already done quite a lot of research, about jobs appearing and asking if they'd support with teacher training, but it's risky. I'm not sure if I'd want to do it at this school to ask, and also they've only known me for a month, but last years school I would love to go back to. I'm still going to apply with UCAS, but I'd only want to do training where I earn a salary, as I've been earning good money since leaving uni 3 years ago. I'm not against state schools or anything, I just really enjoy the private sector, especially with how much focus they put on sport, with PE and games.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any advice or help here
Original post by dingbat93
Okay, bear with me on this one, I thought I'd start a new thread as it could help anyone else in a similar situation too.

I'm currently working in a top private school as a Sports Grad teaching PE and Games (started this September) and I really want to take a PGCE in a private school. I worked as a Sports Grad last year (first time working full time in a school) in another school and absolutely loved it. (Both one year contracts). The reason I didn't apply for a PGCE last year was for varying reasons, one of them deciding too late what I wanted to do (I called around in March but there was no Secondary PE places anywhere that suited me) and wanting experience in another school, but now I'm so sure of wanting to do teacher training.

My question is how would I go about this? I've already done quite a lot of research, about jobs appearing and asking if they'd support with teacher training, but it's risky. I'm not sure if I'd want to do it at this school to ask, and also they've only known me for a month, but last years school I would love to go back to. I'm still going to apply with UCAS, but I'd only want to do training where I earn a salary, as I've been earning good money since leaving uni 3 years ago. I'm not against state schools or anything, I just really enjoy the private sector, especially with how much focus they put on sport, with PE and games.

You don't need a PGCE to teach in a Private school ... you need to do some research on SCITT and other paid routes into teaching.

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/explore-my-options

You should try teaching in a state school - it's much more enjoyable.

As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to do a PGCE and be solely - or even at all - placed in a private school, as the whole point is to provide QTS so you can go and teach in state schools. Your options are either to become a teacher at a private school with your current qualifications (private schools can hire you as is, if they want to), or do a PGCE (with state school placements) and then seek a job in the private sector.

Ultimately, if you want to become a qualified teacher, you're going to have to go into state schools. PGCE entry requirements typically require state school experience prior to application, because it's a very different environment.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
You don't need a PGCE to teach in a Private school ... you need to do some research on SCITT and other paid routes into teaching.

I do plan on applying for Schools Direct as you can get salaried options, but as far as I'm aware there is no salary on SCITT? SCITT definitely seems good despite that though. And I'm aware you don't need a PGCE but it's just much better to have one, and I know you can get a job with the view to obtaining a PGCE.

Original post by doctorwhofan98
As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to do a PGCE and be solely - or even at all - placed in a private school, as the whole point is to provide QTS so you can go and teach in state schools. Your options are either to become a teacher at a private school with your current qualifications (private schools can hire you as is, if they want to), or do a PGCE (with state school placements) and then seek a job in the private sector.

Ultimately, if you want to become a qualified teacher, you're going to have to go into state schools. PGCE entry requirements typically require state school experience prior to application, because it's a very different environment.

I feel I have great experience as it is because by the time I take my PGCE I'll have 2 years working in a school. I taught sport for a year once a week in state schools (about 2 years ago), so I've had that experience too and I enjoyed it, but as soon as I started working in the private sector I enjoyed it so much more and can't see myself ever going back. But obviously know I'll probably have to just for a year to obtain PGCE. It's really hard to find a good school available to do SCITT or schools direct.
I feel I have great experience as it is because by the time I take my PGCE I'll have 2 years working in a school. I taught sport for a year once a week in state schools (about 2 years ago), so I've had that experience too and I enjoyed it, but as soon as I started working in the private sector I enjoyed it so much more and can't see myself ever going back. But obviously know I'll probably have to just for a year to obtain PGCE. It's really hard to find a good school available to do SCITT or schools direct.

You can get a bursary for the PGCE which is as good as getting paid without the 'pressure' some schools expect from being paid ie not being super-numerary like you are supposed to be. Whereabouts are you? There are Grammar schools which run the SCITT route.
Reply 5
You can get a bursary for the PGCE which is as good as getting paid without the 'pressure' some schools expect from being paid ie not being super-numerary like you are supposed to be. Whereabouts are you? There are Grammar schools which run the SCITT route.

I'm in Essex right now, but only because I can afford to be with these jobs so far, if I can't afford elsewhere then home for me is Northamptonshire.
I'm in Essex right now, but only because I can afford to be with these jobs so far, if I can't afford elsewhere then home for me is Northamptonshire.

I'll PM you.

I agree with what your saying, but I think you can have a placement in a private school. My first placement of my BEd (I know it's not the same as a PGCE, but is still a university route) was in a private school and a few people have the odd one in a private school. However, to the OP, you will need experience in state schools and you will probably be placed in one. You may even enjoy it!
Original post by clarkey500
I agree with what your saying, but I think you can have a placement in a private school. My first placement of my BEd (I know it's not the same as a PGCE, but is still a university route) was in a private school and a few people have the odd one in a private school. However, to the OP, you will need experience in state schools and you will probably be placed in one. You may even enjoy it!

Yes, I stand corrected - it is possible, albeit rare and I presume universities try to avoid it when seeking placements (especially as private schools may be more likely to teach IGCSE or the IB rather than more common qualifications which NQTs will be expected to know).
Even though SCITT placesoftenhave bursaries, PE PGCE does not attract a bursary. Also half of all ITT applications are for PE
Yes, I stand corrected - it is possible, albeit rare and I presume universities try to avoid it when seeking placements (especially as private schools may be more likely to teach IGCSE or the IB rather than more common qualifications which NQTs will be expected to know).

To be fair, I was pretty shocked when I found out I was placed there! It is quite rare though, so OP don't get your hopes up.
Some alliances have partnerships with private schools, so it is possible to get a placement in a private school, but you can't exactly choose the school you will be placed in.

I know of a few people who've been placed in a particular private school on my PGCE- I think when unis want to place a large number of trainees and avoid very difficult schools for first placements they can't always be too fussy about things like this!

If you're really against it, I think they would accept a request not to be placed in a private school, though.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I know of a few people who've been placed in a particular private school on my PGCE- I think when unis want to place a large number of trainees and avoid very difficult schools for first placements they can't always be too fussy about things like this!

If you're really against it, I think they would accept a request not to be placed in a private school, though.

I think it would be quite an interesting comparison - but if it was my 'main' placement school, especially the one where I'd be doing the 80% timetable and fully assessed, I think I'd try to argue for a shift!
I think it would be quite an interesting comparison - but if it was my 'main' placement school, especially the one where I'd be doing the 80% timetable and fully assessed, I think I'd try to argue for a shift!

I think once placement schools are assigned it's too logistically difficult to shift unfortunately- if it's something you're very against, then I think mention it before they get to the point of assigning placements.

I don't know how I'd feel about being put in one for my second placement- I wouldn't teach in one I don't think but as a placement and learning from them it would be very interesting. Plus one of the private schools apparently offers very nice free meals to staff inc trainees!
Reply 15
Thanks for all these replies guys. I worked in a state school before 2 hours a week for a year a couple of years ago and enjoyed it somewhat, but I prefer the atmosphere in a private school.

Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think once placement schools are assigned it's too logistically difficult to shift unfortunately- if it's something you're very against, then I think mention it before they get to the point of assigning placements.

I don't know how I'd feel about being put in one for my second placement- I wouldn't teach in one I don't think but as a placement and learning from them it would be very interesting. Plus one of the private schools apparently offers very nice free meals to staff inc trainees!

Most private schools have great food and free meals, and if it's boarding, then you can get breakfast and dinner free too for convenience when you need it. It's great!
Thanks for all these replies guys. I worked in a state school before 2 hours a week for a year a couple of years ago and enjoyed it somewhat, but I prefer the atmosphere in a private school.

Most private schools have great food and free meals, and if it's boarding, then you can get breakfast and dinner free too for convenience when you need it. It's great!

You might be able to do Schools Direct through a private schools (I'm not sure what the rules are on this)- which would guarantee you a long placement in a private school, but you still have to spend some time in a contrasting school- which I would expect to be state- but for six-eight weeks you'd probably cope?
Not all state schools or all private schools are the same OP. You really need to widen your horizons and this is what I hope the PGCE (or whatever route you wish to follow) will do for you. You will not become a good teacher if you only teach a very narrow subset of students.

how is teaching a butt load of kids enjoyable.private schools are smaller right
Original post by tom123h456
how is teaching a butt load of kids enjoyable.private schools are smaller right

Private school parents expect blood and A*s/9s from their less than bright children. It can be a horrible atmosphere - some of them don't want teachers to belong to a union which can be tricky if there are bullies on SLT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending