SOAS University of London Rep - 2019 Applicants Watch

SOAS Student Helper
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Are you interested in SOAS and thinking about applying this year? Feel free to ask us questions, let us know your interests and get talking to other applicants.

Thanks
Phil_mitchell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi everyone, thought I'd make a thread for SOAS 2019 applicants.
Name : Maryama
Course : Politics and international relations

Also, is it just me or are the entry requirements quite high for non russel gorup uni?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ana_pricope
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi! I was looking for this type of forums for future SOAS 2019 students, so thank you for this.

Name: Ana.
Course: World Philosphies and Economics.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, I don't know much about the English university system.
Last edited by ana_pricope; 3 months ago
mollyxoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to SOAS for Japanese. I'm a mature student, is there anything I can do to give my application more of an edge? Also, does SOAS get many mature students/does the Japanese course have many mature applicants? Thanks in advance!
SOAS Student Helper
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by mollyxoo)
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to SOAS for Japanese. I'm a mature student, is there anything I can do to give my application more of an edge? Also, does SOAS get many mature students/does the Japanese course have many mature applicants? Thanks in advance!
Hi mollyxoo,

Japanese is one of our most popular undergrad programmes so it is a good idea if your application does stand out a bit, assuming you already meet the minimum grade requirement of AAB - ABB, with a foreign language at A level. You could do this by taking a beginners course in Japanese if you don't already know some of the language, as this could be used to help show your ability as well as motivation to learn Japanese. If you have spent time in Japan you should also mention this in your personal statement, as this shows that you have some insight into the cultural aspect as well.

Last year about 27% of applicants for the programme were 21 or over, while about 6% were over 30.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Darryl
MoonJangmi4
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to SOAS for BA Korean, I am an unconventinal applicant as i've taken maths, biology and chemistry A-levels and no language GCSEs and was wondering what SOAS counts as being capable to learn a language (could that include self study without formal examinations such as topik, or spending six months living with a korean family). Also I was wondering how many students there are in the tutorial and lecture for korean.
Thanks.
Sammebegum
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey! I was thinking about applying for BA Korean combined honours degree however I can’t seem to find where this degree can lead me to once I graduate? As in career wise, I don’t know if it will lead to anything or if I can get a career out of it? Please can you help me on what career’s I can go into, I know about becoming a translator but that doesn’t really suit my fancy. Thank you.
SOAS Student Helper
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by MoonJangmi4)
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to SOAS for BA Korean, I am an unconventinal applicant as i've taken maths, biology and chemistry A-levels and no language GCSEs and was wondering what SOAS counts as being capable to learn a language (could that include self study without formal examinations such as topik, or spending six months living with a korean family). Also I was wondering how many students there are in the tutorial and lecture for korean.
Thanks.
Hi MoonJangmi4,

Sorry for the delay in replying as we had to check with the Admissions Tutor, and he has said that he is happy to look at your topik results as evidence of your ability to learn Korean. There are about 44 students who are studying either Korean or Korean studies at undergrad level. Unfortunately it is difficult to say how many students will be in a lecture, but there shouldn't be more than 14 in the tutorials.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Darryl
SOAS Student Helper
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammebegum)
Hey! I was thinking about applying for BA Korean combined honours degree however I can’t seem to find where this degree can lead me to once I graduate? As in career wise, I don’t know if it will lead to anything or if I can get a career out of it? Please can you help me on what career’s I can go into, I know about becoming a translator but that doesn’t really suit my fancy. Thank you.
Hi Sammebegum,

A SOAS language degree can lead to a variety of careers. For more information on what graduates from the Japan and Korea Department have done please click on this link. As mentioned in the link, graduates leave SOAS with linguistic and cultural expertise along with a portfolio of widely transferable skills which employers seek in many professional and management careers in both business and the public sector.

Thanks,

Darryl
srestrepop
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi. I'm interested in applying to the MSc in Global Creative and Cultural Industries. I'll like to know who I can contact in Colombia to know more about the Master and the University requirements.Thanks!
SOAS Student Helper
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by srestrepop)
Hi. I'm interested in applying to the MSc in Global Creative and Cultural Industries. I'll like to know who I can contact in Colombia to know more about the Master and the University requirements.Thanks!
Hi srestrepop,

Great to hear to hear you are interested in the programme. Unfortunately we don't have a representative in Colombia but I can help with the entry requirements which are a postgraduate qualification, or exceptionally we may consider the Licenciado / Professional Title usually with a predicted or actual minimum grade point average of 4.0. We would also require an English Language Proficiency test such as IELTS.

For information on the programme please have a look under the 'structure' tab on the MA Global Creative and Cultural Industries page. If you find you have additional questions about the programme you are welcome to contact the convenor Dr Caspar Melville, whose contact details appear at the bottom of that page.

Thanks,

Darryl
12zodiac
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi! I'm applying to SOAS this year for International Relations with Korean. I have 2 language GCSEs (Japanese and Russian) and I've been learning Korean in my own time, but I'm wondering if I'll have to take any Korean language exams to show as evidence for the degree, i.e TOPIK, etc.? Also, in terms of personal statements, how much of it should be academic and how much should be extracurricular? Thanks so much
SOAS Student Helper
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
(Original post by 12zodiac)
Hi! I'm applying to SOAS this year for International Relations with Korean. I have 2 language GCSEs (Japanese and Russian) and I've been learning Korean in my own time, but I'm wondering if I'll have to take any Korean language exams to show as evidence for the degree, i.e TOPIK, etc.? Also, in terms of personal statements, how much of it should be academic and how much should be extracurricular? Thanks so much
Hi 12zodiac,

If you aren't planning on taking a language at A level (which is preferred but not required), then the TOPIK exam is an accepted way for the admissions tutor to gauge your ability to learn Korean. With regards to your personal statement most of it should be academic, but it's important to include some information about your extracurricular activities to give a rounded view of who you are and what motivates and interests you.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Darryl
Phil_mitchell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ana_pricope)
Hi! I was looking for this type of forums for future SOAS 2019 students, so thank you for this.

Name: Ana.
Course: World Philosphies and Economics.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, I don't know much about the English university system.
Hii sorry my reply is so late. What made you want to come to SOAS especially as it would mean you have to move countries. Also, your degree sounds really interesting.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
12zodiac
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi again!
I wanted to know what exactly the requirements were for a contextual offer, as I think I may be eligible but aren't quite sure as the SOAS website doesn't really outline what the requirements are.

Many thanks!
jessrigg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
has anyone recieved an acknowledgement email yet?
MaturiTee
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jessrigg)
has anyone recieved an acknowledgement email yet?
No. I applied on 5 October. Three unis acknowledged within 24 hours and one a week later. Radio silence from SOAS which I understand is not unusual.
SOAS Student Helper
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi. Unfortunately we don't have clear guidelines as it depends on each individual situation. If you could please email [email protected] with more details, they will be able to give you an answer. I imagine you have already looked at the page on contextual offers, but in case you haven't I'm including it as it might be useful for other students reading this.

Thanks,

Darryl
cjxn24
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hiya, Id like to apply for korean at SOAS, but I don't know if I should do it alogonside something like international relations/linguistics or take it as a single hons. My A levels are English language, German and history at A*, A and B respectively. Can you offer any help with regards to the decision?Thanks!
Last edited by cjxn24; 2 months ago
connor.beja
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I would like to make SOAS my firm choice to study Japanese, but I haven't done a foreign language at A level. However, I live in Wales and speak Welsh regularly as a second language (although I'm not fluent). I have an A in Welsh at GCSE, but I'm not sure how to convey my language learning skills beyond that in my statement. Any tips?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (903)
79.91%
Leave (227)
20.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed