Personal Statement opening paragraph help?

Watch
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The opening paragraph is becoming problematic. I've completed every other paragraph with books, experience, lectures and some current affairs (ps is for law by the way) - but I just can't seem to come up with an opening paragraph that's coherent. Any ideas?
JMR2021_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why you want to study law.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Assembly)
The opening paragraph is becoming problematic. I've completed every other paragraph with books, experience, lectures and some current affairs (ps is for law by the way) - but I just can't seem to come up with an opening paragraph that's coherent. Any ideas?
Just get straight to the point which is useful advice.
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by JMR2018)
Why you want to study law.
I'm really interested in how it interlinks with current affairs, particularly with world politics. I also like the ethics & theoretical side of law. It's just the opening line that's really difficult
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
Just get straight to the point which is useful advice.
I'm attempting to, but I don't want it to sound too basic
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm attempting to, but I don't want it to sound too basic
Think about how many pretentious thesaurus-abuse opening lines the poor *******s have to read.
jsb00
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What inspired you to study law
jsb00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm really interested in how it interlinks with current affairs, particularly with world politics. I also like the ethics & theoretical side of law. It's just the opening line that's really difficult
Sometimes the opening line doesnt have to be the first thing you do towards the PS
I outlined my PS
Did the Middle bits then worked upwards
Then that gave me a good idea to structure my introduction
DrDanB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
State a fact about law that intrigues you and how it inspired you, or maybe a particular experience that triggered this.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm really interested in how it interlinks with current affairs, particularly with world politics. I also like the ethics & theoretical side of law.
That'll do...give a specific example for the first sentence and maybe a second example (or part of the first example) for the second sentence.

And remember -
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jsb00)
Sometimes the opening line doesnt have to be the first thing you do towards the PS
I outlined my PS
Did the Middle bits then worked upwards
Then that gave me a good idea to structure my introduction
Did you read the post? they've already finished the rest of it
jsb00
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Did you read the post? they've already finished the rest of it
my bad
thats a bit embarassin
Assembly
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrDanB)
State a fact about law that intrigues you and how it inspired you, or maybe a particular experience that triggered this.
(Original post by PQ)
That'll do...give a specific example for the first sentence and maybe a second example (or part of the first example) for the second sentence.

And remember -
Thanks for the advice. Does this sound aright for an opening line 'Law expresses an ideal reality - one of justice, equality and inclusion'? Is it too abstract/non-specific?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the advice. Does this sound aright for an opening line 'Law expresses an ideal reality - one of justice, equality and inclusion'? Is it too abstract/non-specific?
two things
a) don't post your PS online - you may well end up flagged for plagiarism if you submit a PS with sentences matching exactly content online
b) that's too abstract. Your PS is about YOU and YOUR interest in law - it's not an essay on what law is. Pick a current affairs topic with legal implications that you've been following, say what has interested you about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (111)
35.92%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.59%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.15%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.36%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
11.97%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.36%

Watched Threads