username3168026
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am struggling with maths as I am taking 4 subjects including chem, bio, digital tech and also because my whole class did GCSE further maths except me which the teacher completely ignores. the grades of my other subjects are suffering as a result of me having absolutely no time to revise for them. I find myself sitting in the class completely confused which is really demotivating as I feel like I'm an idiot compared to everyone else. I don't know what to do. >.<
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what have you done in maths that confuses you? are you fine with the stuff you did at gcse that youre revisiting? (rationalising denominators etc)
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you able to switch to a class that doesn't have people who took further maths GCSE?
username3168026
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
what have you done in maths that confuses you? are you fine with the stuff you did at gcse that youre revisiting? (rationalising denominators etc)
I find everything in pure math easy enough but when it comes to the further math subjects such as vectors I struggle.
username3168026
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Are you able to switch to a class that doesn't have people who took further maths GCSE?
my school is really small so there is sadly only one class.
MochiMochi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did A-level maths because I loved maths but in the beginning of my first year I was getting C’s - U’s in class tests. I was completely confused in class and didn’t really understand anything the others were doing to be honest. My teacher was so worried about my grades but I ended up getting an A* after doing A LOT of questions and past papers.
Getting a tutor helped me as well.
I didn’t know there was such thing as GCSE further maths!

What are you doing in maths right now?
What are you actually struggling with?
Have you been asking for help (if you have time)?

Maybe it’s best to drop it if you are really worried and if you know that you can do better in the other subjects after you drop maths since you only really need 3 A-levels.
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by etherealorchid)
I find everything in pure math easy enough but when it comes to the further math subjects such as vectors I struggle.
wait so are you doing further maths a level aswell? if so what year? vectors is like chapter 6 or something in the year 1 book are you already on chapter 6?
username3168026
Rep:
?
(Original post by MochiMochi)
I did A-level maths because I loved maths but in the beginning of my first year I was getting C’s - U’s in class tests. I was completely confused in class and didn’t really understand anything the others were doing to be honest. My teacher was so worried about my grades but I ended up getting an A* after doing A LOT of questions and past papers.
Getting a tutor helped me as well.
I didn’t know there was such thing as GCSE further maths!

What are you doing in maths right now?
What are you actually struggling with?
Have you been asking for help (if you have time)?

Maybe it’s best to drop it if you are really worried and if you know that you can do better in the other subjects after you drop maths since you only really need 3 A-levels.
we are doing vectors and i asked a better teacher for help and they said i can come to them during study time but that will mean i will have barely any time to revise in school but I have been thinking whether to keep math or digital tech (basically ICT) also well done for the A*
tyy300
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by etherealorchid)
we are doing vectors and i asked a better teacher for help and they said i can come to them during study time but that will mean i will have barely any time to revise in school but I have been thinking whether to keep math or digital tech (basically ICT) also well done for the A*
Totally want to stick with maths. Have you actually tried to overcome the vector problem by looking at youtube tutorials. Looking at the mark scheme brings no benefit trust me. Talking from experience lol
username3168026
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
wait so are you doing further maths a level aswell? if so what year? vectors is like chapter 6 or something in the year 1 book are you already on chapter 6?
no, my exam board is ccea so it might be different and in im in lower 6th. its the first thing we started so im not sure but my class are actually already falling behind on how fast to get the course complete because of our teacher.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You have two years to do the A-level. Given a healthy routine of independent study, that should be entirely doable.
By the way, I don't think digital tech/ICT will end up being that useful at all. If you had to drop one, that would be my personal recommendation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.53%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (545)
48.57%

Watched Threads