Dony111
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Because I failed a module 1st year, I have been given the option to do computing to go onto second year. However it is a non accredited degree. All the modules are the same and I will gain same the same skills and receive a bsc in computing. Is it worth it to get a non accredited degree in computing considering job prospects?
Harrand
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
By accredited, do you mean BCS accreditation? Assuming so, it's something to consider. Although most jobs won't require a BCS accredited degree (from what I've seen at least), it would look better if you did, and some jobs DO require your degree to be BCS accredited. It's not the end of the world, but you're right to consider it. In my personal experience (which is not much, take me with a grain of salt here), it's very few jobs that will outright demand BCS accreditation, but it may well negatively affect your job prospects. If you're willing to continue, then go for it, it's not a huge deal (If I was you I wouldn't worry too much about it and continue). If you're against it, you will have to look for possible direct-entries for other accredited degrees, or failing that, starting anew and losing a year.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
BCS Accreditation has no impact on your employability - people take all kinds of routes into these jobs which aren't accredited by the BCS, including from other STEM degrees, self-teaching, apprenticeships, or other training courses.- in reality, IT jobs are full of people who don't have any kind of computer science related qualifications - it's their skills and how they perform in interviews which land them the jobs.

BCS Accreditation simply means that the content of the course you're studying on adheres to a set of standards laid out by the BCS (i.e. which topics are covered on the course, and how much depth on those topics - for example, ensuring that it includes a module on ethics and legal standards, as well as making sure it covers programming, and other core computer science topics). The accreditation itself is not an endorsement of you as a graduate (Except that it indicates you "should" be aware of things like GDPR and other issues, and that you've had the opportunity to learn about the 'core' Computer Science topics)

Generally speaking, as an IT professional you will always be expected to be aware of a range of issues surrounding IT - you don't need a rubber-stamped qualification to prove that, and anyone who employs you should be giving you training on topics like GDPR anyway for their own sake.

Unfortunately the bar for reaching BCS accreditation is fairly mediocre, so you can't even use it to judge whether a course is any good. It provides very little indication about the overall quality of the course, facilities or the faculty staff. It doesn't really give you any hint about whether the assignments and coursework are particularly challenging either.

Employers will always have their own way of assessing your suitability for a job; generally focused on your analytical, technical and problem solving skills. This can include technical tests, "whiteboard" problem solving, technical questions/discussion, being asked to present a project you've worked on (e.g. your FYP), or maybe sitting down with a laptop alongside the interviewer so they can observe how you approach a problem they've given you, and also discussing any previous experience (for example if you had a 12-month placement).

In terms of employability and your course, the focus should be on making sure you're learning things employers care about -- BCS accreditation unfortunately doesn't actually help with that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (9)
12.86%
I need help researching courses (5)
7.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.71%
I need help with my personal statement (29)
41.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (18)
25.71%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.29%

Watched Threads