Do Canadian Universities Recognise BTEC as a qualification?

Watch
eleanornatalie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have just begun year 12 into college doing business BTEC level 3.

I am a bit worried about my future plans as I am wanting to study in Canada for university after I have left college.

Now, why Canada specifically? Well, I am planning and saving to take a gap year to Canada to gain snowboarding qualifications for teaching (which is irrelevant to my main question but oh well haha).

This means I won't be wanting to start university until I am 19 (or a year later).

I got relatively good results in my GCSEs which I will list to see if that is a factor in the strength of my application along with my BTEC Business.

Maths: 6 (B)
English lit and lang: 7/7 (A/A)
Science BTEC level 1 &2: merit/merit
French: B
Food: C
Business: B
Art: 6 (B)

I have wanted to study abroad for a good few years and have never completely been satisfied with only doing one year abroad in the middle of a degree in the UK.

Right now I preferably want to do a degree in business as it makes the most sense to carry that on after my BTEC and as I enjoy it!

Now I am early in the year so there is the option to change to A levels and or IB if this would give me a stronger chance at getting accepted but if possible I would like to stay doing the BTEC course.

Honestly, I am not super bothered about getting into some top uni in Canada I am just asking the general question to see if there is anything more I need to do or if aiming for a very high grade in my current course would be enough?

If there is any questions please ask and anyone who has any info on this that would be amazing!!

Thanks
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by eleanornatalie)
I have just begun year 12 into college doing business BTEC level 3.

I am a bit worried about my future plans as I am wanting to study in Canada for university after I have left college.

Now, why Canada specifically? Well, I am planning and saving to take a gap year to Canada to gain snowboarding qualifications for teaching (which is irrelevant to my main question but oh well haha).

This means I won't be wanting to start university until I am 19 (or a year later).

I got relatively good results in my GCSEs which I will list to see if that is a factor in the strength of my application along with my BTEC Business.

Maths: 6 (B)
English lit and lang: 7/7 (A/A)
Science BTEC level 1 &2: merit/merit
French: B
Food: C
Business: B
Art: 6 (B)

I have wanted to study abroad for a good few years and have never completely been satisfied with only doing one year abroad in the middle of a degree in the UK.

Right now I preferably want to do a degree in business as it makes the most sense to carry that on after my BTEC and as I enjoy it!

Now I am early in the year so there is the option to change to A levels and or IB if this would give me a stronger chance at getting accepted but if possible I would like to stay doing the BTEC course.

Honestly, I am not super bothered about getting into some top uni in Canada I am just asking the general question to see if there is anything more I need to do or if aiming for a very high grade in my current course would be enough?

If there is any questions please ask and anyone who has any info on this that would be amazing!!

Thanks
Pearson says yes...
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...-in-canada.pdf

... but it's probably best to check directly with some Canadian universities to see if it meets their own requirements for specific courses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads