JEEV4N
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone. I am in year 13 and i need a book to compare with Frankenstein for my year 13 coursework. the themes that i would like to talk about are GOOD and EVIL along with talks with RELIGION. The only issue i am having is picking a book to compare with Frankenstein. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
darrencoxon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what's the title you need to write on? would be good to get a bit more info as good versus evil covers about 50% of the books written in the last 150 years!
JEEV4N
Rep:
?
(Original post by darrencoxon)
what's the title you need to write on? would be good to get a bit more info as good versus evil covers about 50% of the books written in the last 150 years!
yes of course i amlooking along the lines of this ....
Last edited by JEEV4N; 10 months ago
SnowyOwl2505
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JEEV4N)
Hi everyone. I am in year 13 and i need a book to compare with Frankenstein for my year 13 coursework. the themes that i would like to talk about are GOOD and EVIL along with talks with RELIGION. The only issue i am having is picking a book to compare with Frankenstein. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Hiya,
I’m in my final year of sixth form and I study English Literature too. For my coursework I compared Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to Frankenstein and took a thematic approach to the question. My theme was focused on duality. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde would be a good text to compare to Frankenstein as Stevenson re visits some of Shelley’s ideas on religion, duplicity and science. You can talk about about the good and evil within the split personality of Jekyll and Hyde and compare it to the good and evil in Frankenstein. You could also talk about how religion declined and science took over. It’s a difficult text to grasp but it’s very short. However, if you put your mind to reading it and understanding it you will definitely do well!!

My advice to you:
As you are stidying Frankenstein it would be a good idea to maybe research the Jekyll and Hyde and then take your decision. Both are texts that are studied at GCSE but you would have to develop your analysis a little further to hit the top marks.

Evil is quite a broad topic so you will be able to write a lot on it. Keep count on your word limit, and make a note of what sites you used in your bibliography and what date you accessed those sites. Well that’s what we were told to do.... but it’s totally up to you.

Hope that helped :-)
If you have any other concerns regarding coursework feel free to PM me.
darrencoxon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes of course i amlooking along the lines of this ....
“Evil is a lack of goodness. It is goodness spoiled. You can have good without evil, but you cannot have evil without good”. In light of this statement compare the way’s Mary Shelley and (the other author of the selected book) prsen 'evil' in the novels Frankenstien and ( the other novel)
by the way i have heard that [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is a good book too possibly use..... what do u think ?[/color]
Yes, Jekyll and Hyde is possible: but my concern is with your title. It's far too broad in my opinion. The terms 'good' and 'evil' are often quite subjective - perhaps you could use two novels to explore the dark side of ambition? It is easier to write about a more concrete thing like someone's ambition than it is something abstract like evil. In that way you can also show how Dr F's character progresses through the novel. (Yes I am a lit teacher.)
JEEV4N
Rep:
?
(Original post by darrencoxon)
Yes, Jekyll and Hyde is possible: but my concern is with your title. It's far too broad in my opinion. The terms 'good' and 'evil' are often quite subjective - perhaps you could use two novels to explore the dark side of ambition? It is easier to write about a more concrete thing like someone's ambition than it is something abstract like evil. In that way you can also show how Dr F's character progresses through the novel. (Yes I am a lit teacher.)
Thankyou for the reply i understand where you are coming from. Would you have any other book recommendations ?
JEEV4N
Rep:
?
(Original post by SnowyOwl2505)
Hiya,
I’m in my final year of sixth form and I study English Literature too. For my coursework I compared Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde to Frankenstein and took a thematic approach to the question. My theme was focused on duality. Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde would be a good text to compare to Frankenstein as Stevenson re visits some of Shelley’s ideas on religion, duplicity and science. You can talk about about the good and evil within the split personality of Jekyll and Hyde and compare it to the good and evil in Frankenstein. You could also talk about how religion declined and science took over. It’s a difficult text to grasp but it’s very short. However, if you put your mind to reading it and understanding it you will definitely do well!!

My advice to you:
As you are stidying Frankenstein it would be a good idea to maybe research the Jekyll and Hyde and then take your decision. Both are texts that are studied at GCSE but you would have to develop your analysis a little further to hit the top marks.

Evil is quite a broad topic so you will be able to write a lot on it. Keep count on your word limit, and make a note of what sites you used in your bibliography and what date you accessed those sites. Well that’s what we were told to do.... but it’s totally up to you.

Hope that helped :-)
If you have any other concerns regarding coursework feel free to PM me.
thankyou very much for this reply it has honestly opened my mind with plannin my coursework on doing the courseowork. do you mind me messaging you later down the line if i get stuck again ?

also if i am not able to do Jekyll and Hyde do you have any other suggestions.

thankyou again
SnowyOwl2505
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thankyou very much for this reply it has honestly opened my mind with plannin my coursework on doing the courseowork. do you mind me messaging you later down the line if i get stuck again ?

also if i am not able to do Jekyll and Hyde do you have any other suggestions.

thankyou again
Hiya
I’m glad that was of help to you at least I feel as thought I've helped someone. Yes another tip I would advise you to do is to take a thematic approach to the question. So pick an overall theme within both novels and break that theme down into 3 sub themes if that makes sense. Also, you should be able to do jekyll and Hyde as I did this text with Frankenstein, and I was allowed. I would recommend you to mindmap your theme as it’s more visual and helps in organising your ideas. Do find key quotes that link to your theme overall as it saves time looking through the whole novel later.

Feel free to PM me anytime you like in regards to your subjects, personal statement or even coursework. Don’t hesitate :-)

if you are not able to do Jekyll and Hyde you could have a look at the following:
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorain Gray (1890)
Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights (1847)
Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre (1847)
Christopher Marlowe, Dr Faustus (1592)
Bram Stoker, Dracula (1897)
Ian Bankes, Wasp Factory (1984)

* These are some of the common ones! They were written at different times but you could compare their views on good vs evil if that’s what you would still like to do. Do ask your teacher at college to see what feedback or suggestions they might give you. I’m just advising on what I have done/ learnt and experienced!

I wish you the the very best of luck in your coursework!!! 👍

Hope that helps :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
39.08%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.38%

Watched Threads