bulgylau
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
every year I make one of these and every year I lose interest after approx 2 days so we'll see how it goes

about me:
UG biochem student doing a BSc- want to apply to GEM

what I'm hoping to achieve? a first duh hi, first year counts for 10% so I'd like to achieve min 2:1 this year which is 60%

modules:
organic chem (Sem A+B)
molecular genetics (Sem A)
cellular bio (Sem A)
practical molecular + cellular bio (Sem A)

physiology (Sem B)
basic biochem (Sem B)
practical biochem (Sem B)

dont expect any of that to make sense to a rando but it's some extra info so idc

won't go to any of the credits detail cos even idgi entirely

so yeah this is it, tbh I really like anon_98's layout last year, it wasn't fancy or anything but I enjoyed reading the posts I read. also I cba making mine look pretty.
bulgylau
so basically i started lectures last week and all of them were introductory apart from cell bio- which was more or less revision of a-level bio (biological molecules - Kids who wanna do biochem/bio or anything like that u really need to know those molecules inside out upside down)

all was good until we got to fatty acid synthesis which the lecturer ltilerally just flew by in 2 seconds. also @bio a level students- glycogen synthesis isnt some easy condensation reaction - that's all a lie, there are about 100 different precursors and steps (actually more like 4). after the lecture i just revised my lecture notes, then did some research on amino acids- properties of each (essential/non essential, use in humans etc) still need to go over fatty acid synthesis but i'm finidng it difficult to get some decent resources- everything online seems far too complex for my little brain to understand

for organic chem i literally went over nomencalture and made a few pages outlining step by step how to name molecules- it's like learning a new language. also was introduced to the iso/sec/tert concept when alkyl side chains appear on molecules.

this is my post for today, just plan to do this fatty acid synthesis and finish for tonight

Spoiler:
Show
hoping future posts will be more structured but dont expect anyone to read so highkey idc
bulgylau
hello all my fans x

basically i didnt post yesterday cos i had uni until 2 and then went out at 4 and didnt come back till 11 so i basically just did nothing.

anyway today my lectures dont start till 11 today so i'm going to do an organic chem quiz (should finish by 9:30ish) and then read through and annotate my lectures slides from my genetics lecture yesterday.

UPDATE: I completed the quiz and got 12/15 which is 80% which is technically a first so yeh I got two qs wrong (I wasn't sure on those ones anyway) so I've flagged them and will see the correct answer. (one of them is just me forgetting CIP rules and the other was a silly lone pair thing)

UPDATE 2: I barely did anything after my lab. my lab was confusing for a hot minute before I understood and then dashed out. then I just did nothing all afternoon and watched the crown. that's all.
ikuyo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
iconic, we've decided to stan. Please tag me in your updates and good luck with all that bi*ch*m (literally got a shiver saying that--I hate biology and chemistry)
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bulgylau)
UPDATE: I completed the quiz and got 12/15 which is 80% which is technically a first so yeh
Well done!!
bulgylau
4/10/18

hello my loyal readers. ikuyo

today is a thursday and also my day off uni- so i will do some work today. my goals are:

1) get my head around fatty acid synthase cos yaboi is still confused on what's actually going on
2) go over the genetics lecture i had on tuesday cos the lecturer was so fast- he barely gave me the chance to process anything
3) revise some organic chem in prep for monday because i feel like it's gonna go 0-100 real fast and i dont wanna have an aneurism during the lecture
4) dust my room, it's getting dusty and i woke up two nights ago literally choking on god knows what. (maybe it was a ghost willy, seeing as it is spooktober)
5) watch more of the crown
ikuyo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"ghost willy" girl i-- 💀
omg skinny queen so synthesise those fatty acids or whateva. Hope your organic chem prep goes well and stop slobbering on ghostie knobs you sket xx
bulgylau
hello fans
i didnt write anything yesterday cos i forgot but to summarise i had a lecture on history of cell discovery, microscopy, intro to cell biology and what consitutes life - i'd say basically a university's version of MRS GREN.

afterwards i did some work on nothing tbh- i caught up with AHS and that's about it. it's okay tho because we all need some time off and that was mine.

Today the weather here is ****, but i went to do some shopping in my fave eastern european store, had a coffee at costa, came home made lunch and started some work. i checked my uni gc and apparently we had assignments due tomorrow for 11pm so i did it now. it was long and about meiosis and mitosis but sis pulled through and got 99.6%

PROOF HI

Anyway, i'm thinking of doing some work on binary fission and mitosis in plants cos it's some extra reading. then do some research on genetic abnormalities and diseases.

after that i was thinking of doing some cell biology- specifically research on Omega 3 fatty acids....

idk i feel confused about uni cos they're like "this is helpful for you to know but not necessary..." wWHAT DOES THAT MEAN HI????????? like am i wasting my time or just not idk

anyway i luv my fans ikuyo and ihatePE
Attached files
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
best of luck with your first year! :rave: well done with that assignment! :woo:
bulgylau
(Original post by nyxnko_)
best of luck with your first year! :rave: well done with that assignment! :woo:
A NEW FAN???? thank you. had a quick peek at your profile (not new to tsr but new to a lot of people like you so....) gl with your a levels... i did all of em expect FM and year 2 physics (dropped physics after AS it was a pain in the backside)

i'd offer my help with a level chem but tbh you probably know it better than i do lol
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A NEW FAN???? thank you. had a quick peek at your profile (not new to tsr but new to a lot of people like you so....) gl with your a levels... i did all of em expect FM and year 2 physics (dropped physics after AS it was a pain in the backside)

i'd offer my help with a level chem but tbh you probably know it better than i do lol
yep :grin: (haha okay )
thank you! :hugs:
welp, it's the thought that counts :yes:
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
every year I make one of these and every year I lose interest after approx 2 days so we'll see how it goes

about me:
UG biochem student doing a BSc- want to apply to GEM

what I'm hoping to achieve? a first duh hi, first year counts for 10% so I'd like to achieve min 2:1 this year which is 60%

modules:
organic chem (Sem A+B)
molecular genetics (Sem A)
cellular bio (Sem A)
practical molecular + cellular bio (Sem A)

physiology (Sem B)
basic biochem (Sem B)
practical biochem (Sem B)

dont expect any of that to make sense to a rando but it's some extra info so idc

won't go to any of the credits detail cos even idgi entirely

so yeah this is it, tbh I really like anon_98's layout last year, it wasn't fancy or anything but I enjoyed reading the posts I read. also I cba making mine look pretty.
Where you studying? I have never heard of first year counting for 10%.

And why GEM rather than the intercalated biochem?
ihatePE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hello fans
i didnt write anything yesterday cos i forgot but to summarise i had a lecture on history of cell discovery, microscopy, intro to cell biology and what consitutes life - i'd say basically a university's version of MRS GREN.

afterwards i did some work on nothing tbh- i caught up with AHS and that's about it. it's okay tho because we all need some time off and that was mine.

Today the weather here is ****, but i went to do some shopping in my fave eastern european store, had a coffee at costa, came home made lunch and started some work. i checked my uni gc and apparently we had assignments due tomorrow for 11pm so i did it now. it was long and about meiosis and mitosis but sis pulled through and got 99.6%

PROOF HI

Anyway, i'm thinking of doing some work on binary fission and mitosis in plants cos it's some extra reading. then do some research on genetic abnormalities and diseases.

after that i was thinking of doing some cell biology- specifically research on Omega 3 fatty acids....

idk i feel confused about uni cos they're like "this is helpful for you to know but not necessary..." wWHAT DOES THAT MEAN HI????????? like am i wasting my time or just not idk

anyway i luv my fans ikuyo and ihatePE
IM FKING PROUD OF YOU xxxx
bulgylau
hello fans
sorry for my absence i was too busy being a skinny legend to notice i had a gyg

since saturday- well sis has been working...started doing some stats (there is some tea towards stats) and had more lab+lectures

so stats tea is basically- in uni we use excel to process data, ur boi hasnt used excel properly since year 8 so i went in blind as a bat. in essence we were given data on liver cell diameter and had to process it, (mean mode median range, iqr, skewness the whole shebang) then use excel to draw a histogram and box plot. cos my last two brain cells have life with mak on repeat i had no idea how to do this so was using wikihow learning all the excel functions.

i checked my course groupchat and this girl said "well actually u dont need to do it manually, u can download the template from the uni VLE and just copy and paste the data in and it'll do it all for you. sis snatched my wig and it's still orbiting uranus as we speak. so i ddi that and it took me like 45 minutes overall.

anyways i was shook, and rn i've been set my first group project- the rise of antibiotic resistant microbes. QUAKING

my plan this afternoon is to go through some metabolic pathways and redo nomenclature of S/R enantiomers, but apart from that my mind is mush and i need a sleep.

tarah for now

SKINNY LEGENDS:

Spoiler:
Show
nyxnko_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:rofl: at least you figured it out at the end :yes:
have a nice nap! :thumbsup:
ihatePE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
FIRST OF ALL. SIS. I am so sorry u have to do stats and histograms xx that did not dwell well on my yr 11 bum, SECOND OF ALL werk that assignment, y'all gonna get a TWO ONE or FIRST uno ygm x third of all ciao
bulgylau
update: um soz idk what happened over the past few months but i have exams in two weeks time and am grossly underprepared thanks
ihatePE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
update: um soz idk what happened over the past few months but i have exams in two weeks time and am grossly underprepared thanks
we really Stan an unprepared queen but u watch the first is gonna LEAP for your bum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (74)
29.96%
No (173)
70.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise