Barnaby01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'll be applying for university in 2019 and I'm torn between electronics and computer science. I do computer science as an A level so I guess I have a better idea of what this involves over electronics. I've heard that Computer Science offers better job opportunities after the course but I don't want to base my decision entirely off of this alone. From projects that I've seen at university open days, electronics looks like it would be a lot more practical and interesting for me, but of course I have no idea what either course is actually like to learn.

So what are the main differences in computer science and electronics courses? Which course is suited to which type of person? What are the differences in jobs that each career leads into?

Thanks in advance
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You might get more responses about electronics on a physics or engineering forum - I would assume that electronics probably has more Physics-related content - at least for the theory side of it.

There should be cross-over in terms of programming - probably assembly language and the C programming language. Some of the Maths should be the same as well, particularly when it comes to logic, and anything to do with hardware/microcontrollers . Aside from that, most CompSci content doesn't usually stray too heavily into the hardware side of things. You'd get more modules around Software development, networking, databases, potentially also web development, UX/UI, AI/machine learning, maybe cloud computing too.

Computer Science frequently leads to careers in the areas I've just mentioned - e.g. software engineer, network engineer, database admin, web developer, etc. But can also lead to hardware engineering jobs working with embedded microcontrollers. (e.g. using a programming language like C to write the system control firmware for household applicances, vehicles, industrial processing systems, digital sensors, etc) - hardware engineering jobs do benefit a lot from having an electronics background however.

If you want to find a course which combines electronics and computing/computer science, then have a look out for something like Computer Systems Engineering - this is essentially a hardware engineering course which focuses on the elements which are common between the two, with a lot of emphasis on robotics and embedded systems / microcontrollers.

It's definitely important to choose a degree that you enjoy; if Computer Science isn't interesting to you, then the electronics degree makes more sense - it's important to make sure you get the most out of your time studying at university, and aiming for a 1st - which is much easier to do if you enjoy the subject itself. If you're studying modules that you dislike, then those are more likely to drag you down.
Barnaby01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you very much, that's helped a lot. I'll look more into computer systems engineering courses
National7282
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Barnaby01)
Thank you very much, that's helped a lot. I'll look more into computer systems engineering courses
(Original post by Barnaby01)
I'll be applying for university in 2019 and I'm torn between electronics and computer science. I do computer science as an A level so I guess I have a better idea of what this involves over electronics. I've heard that Computer Science offers better job opportunities after the course but I don't want to base my decision entirely off of this alone. From projects that I've seen at university open days, electronics looks like it would be a lot more practical and interesting for me, but of course I have no idea what either course is actually like to learn.

So what are the main differences in computer science and electronics courses? Which course is suited to which type of person? What are the differences in jobs that each career leads into?

Thanks in advance
U can do computing and electric engineering together
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (111)
59.68%
No (40)
21.51%
Not sure (35)
18.82%

Watched Threads