Criminology Dissertation Please

Watch this thread
GTee93
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Need ideas on what I should do my Criminology dissertation on please, would be grateful for any ideas.

Was considering doing it on Serial Killers.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
You might be better off asking the criminology section rather than the law section. Two completely different academic topics! Mods never will learn.

But you're in luck: I am something of an expert on serial killers. You're going to have to be more specific with the type of research you want to conduct and think you're able of conducting. Are you interested in the conception of the term, nature vs nurture, the traditional markers on serial killers from their childhood, the way they prepare (e.g. stalking stage), the modus operandi re how they carry out the murders (which obviously reflects why they do it; a sexual offender is going to carry out his murders in a much different way to a woman who is poisoning her husbands for money), or the more tedious subject: how serial killers are portrayed in the media.

On this last point, you will find that they tend to be hyper-aware of their 'syndrome', e.g. Dennis Rader was conversant in academic terminology re serial killers (referring to the stalking stage at his sentencing hearing). I would guess because they're self-absorbed, and don't mind thinking about themselves all that much. But you do have to wonder how much of the serial killer behaviour is matching the serial killer model naturally and how much of it is simply matching what the serial killer has read is standard behaviour.

I can't advise on the topic too much, but I would guess it has been done to death. You're probably going to have to do a lot of research to come up with something workable.
GTee93
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You might be better off asking the criminology section rather than the law section. Two completely different academic topics! Mods never will learn.

But you're in luck: I am something of an expert on serial killers. You're going to have to be more specific with the type of research you want to conduct and think you're able of conducting. Are you interested in the conception of the term, nature vs nurture, the traditional markers on serial killers from their childhood, the way they prepare (e.g. stalking stage), the modus operandi re how they carry out the murders (which obviously reflects why they do it; a sexual offender is going to carry out his murders in a much different way to a woman who is poisoning her husbands for money), or the more tedious subject: how serial killers are portrayed in the media.

On this last point, you will find that they tend to be hyper-aware of their 'syndrome', e.g. Dennis Rader was conversant in academic terminology re serial killers (referring to the stalking stage at his sentencing hearing). I would guess because they're self-absorbed, and don't mind thinking about themselves all that much. But you do have to wonder how much of the serial killer behaviour is matching the serial killer model naturally and how much of it is simply matching what the serial killer has read is standard behaviour.

I can't advise on the topic too much, but I would guess it has been done to death. You're probably going to have to do a lot of research to come up with something workable.
I am interested in the conception of the term, nature vs nurture, the traditional markers on serial killers from their childhood.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GTee93)
I am interested in the conception of the term, nature vs nurture, the traditional markers on serial killers from their childhood.
You could possibly look at children who kill using the nature/nurture debate - Mary Bell, the 2 boys who killed Jamie Bulger.....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (19)
28.79%
As I expected (19)
28.79%
Harder (25)
37.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads