shadow328
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im currently doing MEng Chemical Engineering at a respected engineering uni and doing a placement in my fourth year. I was wondering if it would be unusual for me to do a year in industry in finance/banking, finish my MEng in fifth year and then go into a finance related career? Would any employers treat me differently since I'm extensively academically experienced in a completely different field?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shadow328)
Im currently doing MEng Chemical Engineering at a respected engineering uni and doing a placement in my fourth year. I was wondering if it would be unusual for me to do a year in industry in finance/banking, finish my MEng in fifth year and then go into a finance related career? Would any employers treat me differently since I'm extensively academically experienced in a completely different field?
Nope. Engineering is a common route to finance.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Does your year in industry have to be related to your degree? If you want to work in finance then there is little point in doing the MEng compared to the BEng.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
Does your year in industry have to be related to your degree? If you want to work in finance then there is little point in doing the MEng compared to the BEng.
Good point. And an MEng will also complicate getting funding for a MSc Finance or similar should they be considering that in due course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nah. Plenty of engineering and computer science undergraduates I know have been to insight events/interned at banks with a view of securing a graduate job in finance.
mufferman1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Smack)
(Im op on a different acc)I got a 2:2 in first year so that's why I'm doing the MEng so I have second year to improve and hence gain a better placement. Plus i want to keep my options open ideally with the two fields
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mufferman1)
I got a 2:2 in first year so that's why I'm doing the MEng so I have second year to improve and hence gain a better placement. Plus i want to keep my options open ideally with the two fields
Your first year doesn't count. And many universities don't allow you to progress to an MEng unless you are on a 2:1 anyway.

See my comment to Smack about doing an MA/MSc.

The best way to keep all options open is to graduate with a BEng and then decide if you want to do an engineering MSc or, optionally, a finance one.

As Smack was asking, does your placement have to be engineering related? If not it would be very advantageous to do a finance one, even if you end up going down the engineering career path.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mufferman1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Your first year doesn't count. And many universities don't allow you to progress to an MEng unless you are on a 2:1 anyway.

See my comment to Smack about doing an MA/MSc.

The best way to keep all options open is to graduate with a BEng and then decide if you want to do an engineering MSc or, optionally, a finance one.

As Smack was asking, does your placement have to be engineering related? If not it would be very advantageous to do a finance one, even if you end up going down the engineering career path.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know first year doesn't count but I can't secure any finance placements or most chemeng ones if I have a 2:2 in first year, They're pretty strict when it comes to that. That's why I'm applying in third year when hopefully I have achieved at least 2:1 in my second year and therefore have a better chance of securing a finance placement. And yes my uni does allow me to have a financial placement.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless you're going for IB you don't really need a placement to be competitive in finance or banking. I'd also say you haven't looked very far if you can't find any companies which will let you on with a 2.2.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mufferman1)
I know first year doesn't count but I can't secure any finance placements or most chemeng ones if I have a 2:2 in first year, They're pretty strict when it comes to that. That's why I'm applying in third year when hopefully I have achieved at least 2:1 in my second year and therefore have a better chance of securing a finance placement. And yes my uni does allow me to have a financial placement.
You can say you're on target for a 2:1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (814)
42.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.68%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads