changing course and uni beginning of 2nd year Watch

fififezzy916
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have just started 2nd-year film and tv and I want to change the course and uni because I don't enjoy the course and the uni is too far away from my house. is this possible and what will happen to my student finance?
bas32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by fififezzy916)
I have just started 2nd-year film and tv and I want to change the course and uni because I don't enjoy the course and the uni is too far away from my house. is this possible and what will happen to my student finance?
If you have the required grades for the course at the other uni then it would be possible. With Student Finance you would have finance as long as the course you are doing is a 3 year course (could be wrong you should really ring the Student Finance and find out) but you would still have to pay back the 2 years wasted of loans and tuition fees (ouch). Your decision but a very costly one
minicooper1000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The rule with student finance is that you get finance for the length of your course + 1 ''gift'' year

If you change the course and/or uni your new finance allowance (in terms of years) will be calculated as follows...

(the length of your new course + one ''gift'' year) - any previous years of study = new student finance / years

If you have already recieved student finance for this year, even if it is just a term, it will count as one year of finance to SFE

I've recently been in this position myself so if you have any more questions, please do ask
fififezzy916
Rep:
?
do i need to pay it back immediately?
fififezzy916
Rep:
?
(Original post by minicooper1000)
The rule with student finance is that you get finance for the length of your course + 1 ''gift'' year

If you change the course and/or uni your new finance allowance (in terms of years) will be calculated as follows...

(the length of your new course + one ''gift'' year) - any previous years of study = new student finance / years

If you have already recieved student finance for this year, even if it is just a term, it will count as one year of finance to SFE

I've recently been in this position myself so if you have any more questions, please do ask
i checked my student finance account and the first payment is on 17 oct 2018. Would it still count as a year?
minicooper1000
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i checked my student finance account and the first payment is on 17 oct 2018. Would it still count as a year?
I don't think so...it would be best to check with SFE directly about that - I hope it all works out for you

Phone them on 0300 100 0607

https://www.gov.uk/contact-student-finance-england

minicooper1000
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
do i need to pay it back immediately?
What do you mean by ''it''?
fififezzy916
Rep:
?
(Original post by minicooper1000)
What do you mean by ''it''?
I mean do i have to pay back 2 years worth of education back immediately?
H.a.hx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I mean do i have to pay back 2 years worth of education back immediately?
no you won't. Once you start earning over 21k. But, if you don't want this year to count, I think you might have to drop out this week. For the first two weeks of uni, if you leave they don't charge. But, pls speak to someone assp from your uni such as student union, advice and counselling, tutor, parents etc... before you make an rushed decision or anything. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads