Research masters being marked but Cambridge Admissions threatening to throw me out.

Watch
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Please advise me on what to do as my Research Masters thesis is going through the marking process but Cambridge Admissions are refusing to let me join uni and say they will rescind my offer unless it is all done and dusted in 4 weeks time.I will lose my Nerc funding if this happens.Can someone please advise on what I should do.I have started work in the lab but Admissions are saying I will have missed starting at the beginning of term !I don't know what I should be doing or who I need to talk to to sort this out.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Please advise me on what to do as my Research Masters thesis is going through the marking process but Cambridge Admissions are refusing to let me join uni and say they will rescind my offer unless it is all done and dusted in 4 weeks time.I will lose my Nerc funding if this happens.Can someone please advise on what I should do.I have started work in the lab but Admissions are saying I will have missed starting at the beginning of term !I don't know what I should be doing or who I need to talk to to sort this out.
When does your current university expect to complete their marking? Has it been delayed for some reason or was it always going to be on this schedule?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2940192
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,There is a firm and advertised deadline for meeting offers. You should have met it by the start of full term -i .e today - but it looks like they are cutting you some slack.Your only route here is probably to ask your current institution to expedite - but of course if the delay is due to your handing it in too late to be marked in time they may not be sympathetic.Best,John
EHamilton
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To try and resolve things -

1) contact your old department and find out when the exam board meets. This is the critical date, not when the dissertation is marked, as it is only at the exam board that marks are confirmed. Hopefully this is less than three weeks away. Ask what is the earliest date they can confirm your final grade.
2) check your email. Your college will likely have been in contact already as you cannot matriculate until you have met all outstanding requirements. If the have not contacted you, then contact them
3) as a backup, investigate if you could defer the start of the course until January if you will not meet the requirements in time for this term. This will need to be agreed by department and funder, so I would suggest talk to them both, as well as your supervisor
Scotney
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
When does your current university expect to complete their marking? Has it been delayed for some reason or was it always going to be on this schedule?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have just contacted them today and old uni Admin are now saying it could be three months until the marking is complete not what my supervisors were saying at all.I do not need the Masters to meet my offer but need to have it completed or be released from the course to take up my place.I raised my concerns about completing on time when Cambridge admissions first mentioned it and again in June but both my university supervisors and my Cambridge supervisor said it was nothing to worry about and that they would speak to Cambridge Admissions.Current Uni are saying this is highly unusual and there is generally a sort of gentlemens agreement between unis in these cases that if student is expected to pass there is never a problem so they are refusing to expedite saying Cambridge can wait like everyone else.I feel like I'm stuck between two warring admin departments.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have just contacted them today and old uni Admin are now saying it could be three months until the marking is complete not what my supervisors were saying at all.I do not need the Masters to meet my offer but need to have it completed or be released from the course to take up my place.I raised my concerns about completing on time when Cambridge admissions first mentioned it and again in June but both my university supervisors and my Cambridge supervisor said it was nothing to worry about and that they would speak to Cambridge Admissions.Current Uni are saying this is highly unusual and there is generally a sort of gentlemens agreement between unis in these cases that if student is expected to pass there is never a problem so they are refusing to expedite saying Cambridge can wait like everyone else.I feel like I'm stuck between two warring admin departments.
Is this for a PhD or ?

Hmm, any thoughts threeportdrift?
Scotney
Rep:
?
(Original post by EHamilton)
To try and resolve things -

1) contact your old department and find out when the exam board meets. This is the critical date, not when the dissertation is marked, as it is only at the exam board that marks are confirmed. Hopefully this is less than three weeks away. Ask what is the earliest date they can confirm your final grade.
2) check your email. Your college will likely have been in contact already as you cannot matriculate until you have met all outstanding requirements. If the have not contacted you, then contact them
3) as a backup, investigate if you could defer the start of the course until January if you will not meet the requirements in time for this term. This will need to be agreed by department and funder, so I would suggest talk to them both, as well as your supervisor
Thanks for reply see reply to Doonesbury. I am going to talk to department and funder tomorrow but very concerned that Nerc funding might not wait for January.The college dean has offered the January solution as far as college goes but says he will contact head of admin for me once I have talked to department as he feels to all real intents and purposes I have finished the Masters and my first degree would have met the offer.Feeling rather devastated at the moment as it appears that if I had quit my Masters at Easter then there would not have been any problem.
Scotney
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Is this for a PhD or ?

Hmm, any thoughts threeportdrift?
PhD
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
PhD
I think EHamilton has the answer, the only thing I'd add is talk to your old institution and see if they could send a formal letter confirming your un-approved grade. If it isn't near a grade boundary, then Cambridge may accept that.

I'm not quite clear though, is the Masters part of your conditional offer? If so, then there's not much the university can flex, I've heard them extending for a week, but never 4 weeks. The problem the College faces is that if they allow a student to matriculate and accept funding, and then it turns out that student hasn't met the entry requirements, they've let them in under false pretences, and that is likely to affect their relationship with the funding body. No-one will risk that with something like NERC funding.

I'm not sure how you aren't released from your past course if you have completed your final exams. I'm not sure that you are still what Cambridge would call in statu pupillari after the end of term, even if you haven't got your results. It certainly looks as though Cam are treating you as if the Masters is a condition.

I'm afraid I can't reliably comment on whether the NERC funding will wait, but it's probably that or they waste the funding by not allocating it. Your Supervisor should be able to check and negotiate on your behalf.

If your old uni can't or won't satisfy Cambridge's evidence requirements within the 4 weeks then I'd focus on organising the January start.
Scotney
Rep:
?
The Masters is not part of the conditional offer but it is affecting the situation because Cambridge want you to have completed all other studies or be released from them.It was a research Masters so no final exams just thesis.I have completed my dissertation but it is going through the marking process and that could take 3 months apparently.Had I not done a Masters at all I would be in.There are 20 other students at my college in similar positions.
Anyway thank you all for the replies .The college is being very supportive and I am now talking to the funding and dept.It does look like a deferment to January is looking possible and my supervisor is happy to support that.I will let you know how it turns out.
Scotney
Rep:
?
Well after being technically thrown out by Cambridge twice I have just been matriculated into the uni having been awarded the Masters on Friday.The NERC funding was going to be around for the January option as was suggested it would have been lost if not taken up within the academic year for this project.This has been the most stressful period of my life by far and in retrospect I feel that maybe waiting until I had finished the Masters before starting a Phd would have been a better course of action.The Research Masters is in fact a 12 month course plus marking unlike the Taught Masters, a fact I was unaware of and none of my supervisors thought to mention even when I got the Cambridge offer.
On the plus side I am now on first name terms with the Cambridge Admin Team who were nearly as relieved as me when it all came together at the very last minute.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well after being technically thrown out by Cambridge twice I have just been matriculated into the uni having been awarded the Masters on Friday.The NERC funding was going to be around for the January option as was suggested it would have been lost if not taken up within the academic year for this project.This has been the most stressful period of my life by far and in retrospect I feel that maybe waiting until I had finished the Masters before starting a Phd would have been a better course of action.The Research Masters is in fact a 12 month course plus marking unlike the Taught Masters, a fact I was unaware of and none of my supervisors thought to mention even when I got the Cambridge offer.
On the plus side I am now on first name terms with the Cambridge Admin Team who were nearly as relieved as me when it all came together at the very last minute.
:woo: :yay: that's brilliant news!

Now stop procrastinating and get on with your PhD
EHamilton
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Delighted it's all sorted. Have a great time as a Cambridge PhD student
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (13)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
19.54%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.39%

Watched Threads